Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v6 swap noob answers and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v6 swap noob answers and opinions

Okay what's up every one i never did a swap before but I need this car its like my dream I can't stop thinking about it any way I have a 95 civic ex sedan I'm looking to put a j series in it but I want to keep it auto cuz to just Cruz nothing too crazy its an every day driver family car with some kick any help in what I'll need
Old 07-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: v6 swap noob answers and opinions

Get a V6 Accord. That's way more of an everyday family car and you won't have to deal with the hassle of having to swap a J series into a Civic.

If you've never done a swap before you're going to need to do a lot more reading. I'd start here: http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...s_engine_swap/
Old 07-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This isn't a good "first swap". It requires fabrication and custom mounts. You may as well put an LS2 Corvette engine in it...

Honestly, just do a B18B swap. All parts are readily available, relatively cheap, and swap-in easily without any cutting or welding.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Trial User

I actually already own the civic an I love the car I have all my JDM cosmetics ready to go just waiting in my atick waiting to get put on cuz my city is a hotspot for civic and teggy thieves buy this is def the car I want and the swap I want I did plenty of research and have the money for it all and have plenty of friends to help me I'm willing to let my baby sit around d till its done cuz I already have my every day driver but my girl drives it more so I basicly just want to do the j swap but every time I try to find info on keeping it an auto I never can find any thing on it
Old 07-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Trial User

I'm aiming for a j32a4 I found the engine mounts online so I'm not to worried about that my question is what tranny and ecu will I need I'm good around a car for a noob and like i said I have friends to help me my friend actually has a k24 integra but they keep telling me to go stick I just Want to put it in drive and go fast and look good
Old 07-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tastypotato
Get a V6 Accord. That's way more of an everyday family car and you won't have to deal with the hassle of having to swap a J series into a Civic.

If you've never done a swap before you're going to need to do a lot more reading. I'd start here: http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...s_engine_swap/
Thanks a lot man that article was great now I know I can basicly get almost every thing I need to do my swap ready for me to cut down on the customizing to fit bs but I still don't know what tranny to get if I'm gonna be dropping in j35 do I just throw in the Odyssey tranny?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

No one uses an automatic tranny on performance swaps, and especially not on a J series. Good luck in your search.
Btw, the auto and manual trannys are completely different transmissions. I doubt there are mount kits for the automatic tranny. save yourself a TON of trouble and go with the Manual
Old 07-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by v6ricerocket617
cuz my city is a hotspot for civic and teggy thieves [but] this is def the car I want and the swap I want
but you still want to do the one swap that, in most cases requires cutting a hole in the hood. may as well just leave the keys in the ignition with the doors open.

I did plenty of research and have the money for it all
if this is true then you also have the money for a good used V6 accord or even an early 3rd gen TL. either would suit your needs and give you less trouble.

I [basically] just want to do the j swap but every time I try to find info on keeping it an auto I never can find any thing on it
incase you stubbornly resist my previous advise I'll go ahead and try to give you an idea. this is just a general description, not instructions or directions.

you're best bet is to buy a totaled V6 accord without TBW (throttle by wire) so '98-'02? that was hit in the side or the back. pull the dash out and swap the wire harness and most of the rest of the electrical hardware into the civic. buy the factory service manual for the donor and your civic. you'll need them both. use the FSMs to figure out where everything needs to route. swap over everything you think you'll need and keep the rest around just in case you're first guess was wrong.

pull the engine and transmission. start with a regular J-swap mount kit and then customize/modify/fabricate as required to let the auto bolt in.

the rest is straight forward enough. cut the hood, find some axles, mount the shifter, hook up some exhaust, get a full sized radiator... normal swap stuff.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a giant hood cowl while you are at it so you can cover up the J-series sticking through your hood. Don't want the thieves to realize you have one of the more expensive swaps lying around.

If you are going auto you are probably pioneering that whole adventure. I don't believe slush boxes are very popular in the swap community. So on the plus, you'll have plenty of transmission options.

Hondamark nailed the process. It's going to be tough for you and your boys. The regular swap portion shouldn't be hard for your kswap teggie friend, but the rest will be new water to explore. Especially that dash harness and transmission computer.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done. Its not hard. 617, are you in mass?

And yes people do use auto trans on jswap.