Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

96 Prelude Crank sensor issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Prelude Crank sensor issues

I'm currently working on my friend's 96 Prelude non-vtec...

Footnotes:
-oil pump failed
-original motor blew up
-JDM h23 non-vtec was purchased
-JDM motor has no crank sensors on it
-Friend can't afford new oil pump with sensor mount points on it

Problems:
-the jdm motor doesn't have the crank sensors on it, nor does it have the mounting points for the sensors themselves
-no spark

So what I did was re-pin the JDM distributor that came with the new JDM motor and wired both TDC and CKP sensors using diagrams I found online, and everything seemed to wire up without hassle, all colors matched up fine. Keep in mind that the car is originally external coil and the JDM distributor has an internal coil. I found online where you put a fuse to bridge two wires on the connector for the external coil, and I checked for voltage at the coil and it's getting power.

I then found an article explaining how to convert the JDM distributor to external coil, followed the procedure with a green wire that has to be added to the distributor, but no luck either.

There are no check-engine light codes, it just not getting spark..

Does anyone have any insight as to how I can make the car work with the JDM distributor? It doesn't matter if it's either internal or external coil, any insight will be greatly appreciated! I am good with wiring and understanding diagrams so I'll be more than willing to try stuff. Thanks for your time on reading this!

And sorry for such a long post!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 PM
something gnarly

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 96 Prelude Crank sensor issues

Is the internal coil dizzy known to be good? Mine just went bad.. the coil has voltage, but the ICM is shot so no spark for me.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the sensors are for obd2. my type s was the same way. all you have to do is get the dizzy from a 95 prelude vtec and an external coil and it all plugs in.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same ? - so if i use my old dizzy(cause the internal coil the h23a has doesnt plug in) do i have to put the crank sensor even though the h23a doesnt have the mounting spot for it or do i have to relocate it somewhere else??
Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will the 95 vtec dizzy work for me without needing the cranksensor? i am using a p5m ecu if that matters?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by catchdz
will the 95 vtec dizzy work for me without needing the cranksensor? i am using a p5m ecu if that matters?

I believe the 92-95 distributor (td61u) which has the sensor in the distributor.
you will also need to extend the wires from the crank angle sensor. (you could also buy this from
rywire) I did... I also copied it. (selling copies). so pm me if your interested in buying one.. (makes things alot easier)
Old 07-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im lost, so I can get a dizzy for a 95 vtec and it will plug in with no problems to my obd2 harness and I don't have to worry about the crank sensor because it is inside the 95 vtec dizzy. Wat do I do with the wire,harness plug that is,on the other side of the motor ?, I know am a join and all but I. want to get my car working ASAP and I just don't have all the facts right pls help!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the 95 dizzy will not plug right in because your wire harness is setup for the crank sensor mounted on the oil pump. you will have to wire that crank sensor harness into your dizzy harness so the ecu sees the ckp sensor. but obd2 doesn't like that sensor being in the dizzy and the car will never run to its full potential. it will feel very tempermental fast one day and slow the next. the best thing to do is put the oil pump that utilizes the crank position sensor. you could wire it up like i said to the dizzy and use a obd1 ecu with a jumper harness for your obd2 setup. theres alot of info about the wiring set up on here you shouldn't have hard time finding that info
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by euroraccord
the 95 dizzy will not plug right in because your wire harness is setup for the crank sensor mounted on the oil pump. you will have to wire that crank sensor harness into your dizzy harness so the ecu sees the ckp sensor. but obd2 doesn't like that sensor being in the dizzy and the car will never run to its full potential. it will feel very tempermental fast one day and slow the next.

I apologize... as I read it now.. its not very clear (the one i wrote earlier)
thats what happends when you try to multi task..

in anycase.. hes is right.. you extend the crank sensor wires to the distributor. at the same time convert your distributor harness to obd1. so that the td61u (distributor) will plug in.
after that you can start the car with no problems.. Ive had to do this. on my prelude. this is the fastest way to get it running.. under the assumption that there is no problem with your motor and trans!
thats what the harness looks like.
This is good enought to get your car running... and in my case good enought to pass smog obd2

Last edited by asianpoet; 07-20-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 07-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn bro thank u that helps so much
Old 03-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry bringing this back. Euroaccord so if I just adapt my obd2a-td 61u and keep TDC and ckp on bottom with p28/hondata it will run better, and still have tunability? I have built h22a4 with new obd2 oil pump so I can just swap sensors to new engine and put the td 61u in with adaptor. 01 prelude btw. Im just wondering cause I have only heard about engine being temperamental from this thread if u use dizzy TDC ckp sensors.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a bad cranksensor on my 2000 2.3 4 cyl
Old 10-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the dist rotor screw