Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

92 h22 intake manifold????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 h22 intake manifold????

Does anyone know if the 92 obd1 h22s have the variable runner intake manifold set up that the later 97 + obd2 h22s have?

I know the set up is for better low end power(keeps air velocity up). At low engine speed it opens one set of butterflies and at higher rpm it opens the second set. As far as I can tell it runs off the engine vacuum.

I know the euro accord R intake manifold doesn't have that set up, it just has straight through runners. So it will have better high end power, with out the benefit of the low end help.

The reason I ask is that I have an obd 2 engine and an obd 1 ecu, I 'm just wondering if the 92 ecu is set up for that intake. If there isn't a setting I might just change intake manifolds.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. THANX
Old 01-28-2004, 09:34 PM

Default Re: 92 h22 intake manifold???? (909 Civic)

I thought H22A1 came out in 93 models. But all US H22s had secondary runners. The primary runners are always open the secondaries open up a little after VTEC initiates. Always having them open or eliminated helping or not will depend on your setup.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:58 PM
OTT

JDMs and UKDMs have them on the '92 onwards.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OTT)

i don't think it would be set up for that intake
as far as usdm, h22 came out in 93
Old 01-29-2004, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 909 Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone know if the 92 obd1 h22s have the variable runner intake manifold set up that the later 97 + obd2 h22s have?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 909 Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The reason I ask is that I have an obd 2 engine and an obd 1 ecu, I 'm just wondering if the 92 ecu is set up for that intake. If there isn't a setting I might just change intake manifolds. </TD></TR></TABLE>
What year and model is the motor going in? If it's going into a 92-95 and the ECU is OBD1 VTEC yes it will work.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:27 AM

See the thing is I have a jdm P13 ecu that I'm going to use with a 98 F20B and a jumper harness to make obd1and obd2 playnice together.

The F20B (UKDM & JDM only) uses mostly the same external parts as H22s. Header, intake manifold, valve cover, etc,etc. The only exception so far is the driver side(USDM) engine bracket. Overseas it would be passenger side of course and the engine came in an Acoord not a Lude.

From what I have been able to find out the head is basically the same as a Type S H22, the only diff is the block. I almost picked up an h22 short block a couple months back, but the price wasn't worth the .2 liters.

The set up I am looking at running is all engine (for now at least, unless I win the lottery or find a sugar Mama).

Want : Imagineengineering header and a different intake manifold. Mainly for
performance and secondly firewall clearance. and Vtec A/F cont. (Fields or Apexi).

Have: Hasport mounts, H22 tranny, clutchmasters combo.

Still need: H22 intermediate shaft, H22 to EK axles, drivers side engine bracket(hooks up engine to engine mount C shaped, and hard to find).

Thanx for info
Old 01-29-2004, 10:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 909 Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

From what I have been able to find out the head is basically the same as a Type S H22, the only diff is the block. I almost picked up an h22 short block a couple months back, but the price wasn't worth the .2 liters.

The set up I am looking at running is all engine (for now at least, unless I win the lottery or find a sugar Mama).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

why would you want to run an h22 block with an f20b head?granted it's like stroking the motor. but damn the f20b is nice and can sustain slightly higher revs.

but if you want an h22 shortblock. come to kansas i'll trade ya.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 92 h22 intake manifold???? (see_our_vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by see_our_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why would you want to run an h22 block with an f20b head?granted it's like stroking the motor. but damn the f20b is nice and can sustain slightly higher revs.

but if you want an h22 shortblock. come to kansas i'll trade ya. </TD></TR></TABLE>

to my knowledge the f20b just has an h22 head, with a port job and some type s cams, check https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=641555 joels thread, if you ever want to get rid of your f20b bottom end i will buy it from you in a heart beat.

so if you were to slap the head from the f20b onto an h22 block you would essentialy have a just an h22 with type s cams.

also you mentioned that the mount on the drivers side is different? how is it different could you go into more detail, or maybe get a picture, im trying to figure something out, and you might be able to help
Old 02-01-2004, 09:31 PM

Default Re: 92 h22 intake manifold???? (prelittlelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
also you mentioned that the mount on the drivers side is different? how is it different could you go into more detail, or maybe get a picture, im trying to figure something out, and you might be able to help</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would love to show pic but my digi- cam sux. I'll try my best to explain the prob.
If you stand in front of ann h22 as it would sit in the car with all the plastic off the side so that you can see the belts, on the driver side.
There is a braket that connects to the engine block, which in turn bolts to the engine mount and then to car.
That mount on the F20 has the same bolt pattern on the block as an h22.
The problem is the bolt pattern to the engine mounts are closer together.

I found a pic, its not at a good angle but you can kinda see what I'm talking about.

Rite below the cam gears there is a black metal bracket that bolts to the block with two holesit for an engine mount. That is the piece I needed, but i found one yesterday.

I would have drawn arrows on the pic but my photo shop is acting up and I'm hella tired. Little brother had a drifting accident last night, he's fine, 240s on disabled list. I'll have a pic of that soon I hope.

Hope this clarifies things up a little thanx for all your help any more input would be appreciated. Peace