Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Intake Manifold - 92 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:51 AM
DJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Intake Manifold - 92 Civic Si

Hello people,

It's my first post here, and i was wondering if anyone could help me out. Recently, I've been considering changing the intake manifold on my 92 civic si Hatch. What i wanted to know was whether or not i could expect to suffer a lot in terms of fuel economy?

Also what kind of respose could i expect to see once the operation is done, and does anyone know of any good brands for decent prices that i should consider? The ones i've been lookin at so far are from Skunk2.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-26-2007, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless your going for boost, or a built motor, just changing the intake manifold to an aftermarket one wont make any huge difference unfortunatly. The Z6 manifold is fine enough as it is, assuming your motor is stock. What other mods do you have?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

You'll lose power in the bottom end, and pick up power in the upper.

What other mods do you have?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:59 AM
DJP

Since I got the car, which was about last October, I've put on an air intake with a 3 inch cone K&N filter. I've also put on some stailest steel headers (4-2-1). Other than that, this will be my third performance mod.

One more question though, will i notice the same amount of response eventhough i did the exhaust manifold almost a year ago?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (DJP)

$700 in intake, headers, and intake manifold will leave your car just as fast as it was stock.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:05 AM
DJP

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

So i won't even notice any type of increase in torque, or even throttle response at all?

If not, what other simple modifications could i do in order to notice a significant difference? Keep in mind however, that this is an everyday driver going to and from Waterloo every 4 months
Old 06-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So i won't even notice any type of increase in torque, or even throttle response at all?

If not, what other simple modifications could i do in order to notice a significant difference? Keep in mind however, that this is an everyday driver going to and from Waterloo every 4 months</TD></TR></TABLE>

Simple Bolt-ons will get you some noticible gains, such as Intake/Header/Exhaust, dont forget about the tranny too. Things such as upgraded clutches and flywheels will definatly make a difference.

Since its a single cam, the only real way to get the most significant gain out of it would be to boost it.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Ek Forever y0!

The only thing that's worth your time and money is to boost/swap it.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 AM
DJP

See the thing is, i'm not the biggest fan of boost. From my understanding, putting in something like that will put some SERIOUS wear and tear on your engine, and the last thing i want to do is skimp out on a mod like that if i were to actually do it.
Plus if i could afford to do that, i would have just bought a DOCH vtech engine to put in it from the start.

But, in terms of response though, i did notice a major difference in terms of torque when i decided to put on the stainless headers..and if the differnce in changing the intake manifold would be something along those lines...i think that in my cast, that would be a good upgrade.

Considering how i would like to keep this ride for the next few years, bolt ons are the main mods that i would try to stick to.

As for the clutch work though, i doubt i would end up putting on any performance ones. At most, i would have to go from OEM to OEM, considering how i wouldn't have the actual power from these simple mods to back it up.

But i do have another question though... would putting on an aftermarket intake manifold take a chunk out of my fuel milage? As of not i can pust just over 400km a tank.

Modified by DJP at 7:59 AM 6/26/2007
Old 06-26-2007, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably, the increased airflow would call for increased fuel input, naturally, but i dont think it would make it outrageously bad. For one thing, it wont make any gas mileage better, if thats what your asking. At best it would stay the same.

Modified by 97Ej6mike at 7:29 AM 6/26/2007
Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 AM
DJP

That's what i would prefer rather than this mod making things worse than before i did it
Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Ek Forever y0!

You'd get more benefit from a junkyard turbo on 8lbs with a tune.

And likely still get 30mpg.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u wasted about 700$ for the i/h/e....u should of gone wit a LS swap (b18b/a) 140 hp 127 lbs of torque why not...the swap is really cheap if u know wat ur looking for..i think it wuz a waste of money to fix up a single cam witout force induction....
Old 06-27-2007, 09:10 AM
DJP

Default Re: (deadline)

When i bought the car, it already had an intake attached. Since i got it though, i only put in 250 in mods..and that was for the headers. As for this being a waste of time....since the start of this summer, maintenance hasen't stopped, and i've basically done an overhaul on this car (new thermostat, radiator, water pump, timing belt..and shortly...a new oil pan) Why would i iwant to do an engine swap after i spent all that time and effort getting this thing back up and running smooth...and besides...this thing was a gift...and if i were to do somethin like that it wouldn't even be considered an Si anymore..and it's not like the 92 hatch is somethin you see on the road very often too.

If it was some other car, then yeah, i can see where your coming from. But this is my FIRST whip, and i wanna keep it as long as possible, in the best possible condition.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As a fellow SOHC DDriver, and long time modder of this little cheap engine, I'd have to agree with, and suggest the following:

-A nice, quiet but sporty exhaust. Myself, I've got a twin-loop style muffler; NOT Mugen, for like $70. Ended up with two for some reason. Interested in my extra?

-A much lighter flywheel, and a stage 1 organic clutch from exedy; great for response and "virtual horsepower:" It's hard to explain. A full set can cost you $270 if you play your cards right. On an additional note, while you've got the tranny out, crack it open and inspect it for synchro wear and bearing walk. Good to do for high mileage transmissions.

-A bunch of little suspension components:
---Front upper/lower, Rear upper/lower strut/tie bars, A nice, modest drop with a bargain camber kit, some good rims and tires. Each bar I got was about $60-$70 from NRG. The shocks and springs are pretty variable depending on the ride that you want.

All these are absolutely great for increasing the fun factor for a daily driver Si WIHTOUT having to swap the engine. I've got all these little components on my car, and she's a terrific little machine every time I drive her.
Also, what comes with modding a cheap engine is all the money you save. Right now, I'm saving the money to purchase everything I need for a Greddy turbo kit on moderate boost. I know boost isn't what you want, for engine longevity reasons, but I just thought I'd mention that there are more moderate, less competitive turbo setups out there that you can look into if you ever think about it.

Modified by BlackoutVTi at 10:44 AM 6/27/2007
Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 AM
DJP

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

Thanks for the tips. FINALLY i get a fan of the SOHC,lol. But as for the front and rear strut bars, that's an upgrade i was gonna get done before the end of the summer. As for the lighter flywheel, i will probably do that after i put in the new intake manifold...this way i have the power to actually backup the imporved clutch assembly that i may end up putting in. As for the muffler though..that's another sensitive topic..personally..i don't really like to HEAVY sound i hear from 90% of the modded civic in my area..do you know of any sites that i would be able to go to and possibly listen to the different types of sounds available mufflers may end up doing to my car?

As for the boost...depending on how well the car holds up during the final years of uni, i may end up putting in about 8 psi.

But like you said earlier, the fun factor is something i'm trying to get out of this car. I know it's not somethin to invest your money in if your looking for massive power, but to me..a lot of it is about the learning experience too!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:42 AM
B A N N E D

yeah id turbo it like I did. but if you want to last. use small turbo. as far as the intake manifold goes, yeah the stock would have been best raelly...most of the fuel injected hondas come with pretty much the biggest size intake mainfold from factory, how do you think they got so much HP from a small Liter engine? got to have top notch frmo factory. big V8 s and such usualy put restricted intake manifolds andsuch for gas milage and things. So when they put a manifold on, it makes alot bigger defference than a honda. But thats also why hondas haul ******* *** on booost with stock ****.If i was you...spend $150 on vitara pistons either 75mm or 75.5mm depending no ur sleeves. and be done, unless you want bigger HP..then upgrade the rods. i found out, its a waste of money on 4cylinders...if you arent turbo...lol..otherwise you gotta be rich..i aint rich, so im boosted.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, if you haven't already gotten the intake manifold, you'd be better off getting something else.
The clutch and flywheel combo isn't as much to harness extra power as it would be to improve response, and I would suggest that you go with that before the intake manifold. Trust me, I've had all this stuff for a while, and have JUST ordered a ported and polished I/M. I got a good deal since it also came with a big bore throttlebody, and I'm STILL not expecting much out of it. I only got it because it had an Evap nipple I need to pass BAR. Any performance I get out of it (if any) would just be a bonus.

As for the exhaust, you'll enjoy what getting one gives you, since you'll have completed the I/H/E setup. Seriously, if you don't have all three, you haven't completed the task of the setup, which is to improve flow all the way into and out of the engine.

---Trust, I've got experience with getting exhausts with sound in mind: The police really like to profile guys like me out here in CA. I've gone through 3 mufflers, each quieter than the one before it, and have come to rest on the twin loop. It's 2.25" all the way through, sounds quiet as stock at idle and moderate throttle, and gives the performance you need when you step on it. Haven't been bothered for my exhaust since, and I get to keep the performance it gives me.

On a side note, I made the muffler even less noticeable by taking off the 3" tip that came with it, and painted the canister black.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
B A N N E D

yeah ive got about 12 exhuast tickets myself in Va, SAME exhuast, expletive them.only $87 ticket
Old 06-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as exhaust sounds, ur best bet is youtube. check it out there are lots of vids on there u can judge from. Just search for the exhauset you are looking for and see what you get.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (DecentCivicZ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DecentCivicZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah ive got about 12 exhuast tickets myself in Va, SAME exhuast, expletive them.only $87 ticket</TD></TR></TABLE>

12 x $87 = $1044

Psh, small change. Who needs half of a killer turbo build when I could have $1000 in fart can tickets.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

12 x $87 = $1044

Psh, small change. Who needs half of a killer turbo build when I could have $1000 in fart can tickets.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ouuchhh
X2 for could of making your car turbo'd.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: New Intake Manifold - 92 Civic Si (DJP)

General rule of thumb with SOHCs is that the Z6 and Y8 manifolds will flow enough air for pretty much any N/A setup. The Skunk 2 manifold is nice, but the money could be spent elsewhere.

+2 for flywheel and clutch. Another good addition is a good tuneup.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:24 PM
DJP

Default Re: New Intake Manifold - 92 Civic Si (EJProject)

See, all this clutch work SOUNDS like a great idea...but then i stop and think about the amount of time, let alone money that has to go into it. A main reason as to why i was looking into the manifold was because of the simple installation that would required.

As for the clutch and flywheel, i haven't been able to get my hands on one of those installs, so i wouldn't even know where to start :
Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Intake Manifold - 92 Civic Si (DJP)

I think a great step for you then, while your researching the clutch work, to look into a nice quiet exhaust.

Quick Reply: New Intake Manifold - 92 Civic Si