Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

89 lude burns oil. Looking to upgrade B20a5

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 lude burns oil. Looking to upgrade B20a5

Like the title says I'm noticing my 89 lude is burning oil. At 220k I can assume the neglected engine is tired and worn out. Most likely needs to be re-ringed. I'd prefer to yank the head and re-ring it without yanking the engine. I'm wondering what mods can be done while that much is apart. I'd like to do ARP studs, ACL bearings and the cometic h/g just to be prepared in case I want to do boost. I'm wondering what piston/rod mods can be done? I don't want to modify B16 pistons and I've heard block mods are required to make the H23 rods fit better. And it's been verified theyre 1.25mm shorter which means deck the block or deal with lower compression. I really want something lighter than OEM to help with quicker revs. If I have to lower the compression while I'm at it i'd rather raise it now and not boost the engine at all. The B20a is high stroke engin so I can assume the a5 is the same. That makes the car feel fast and get up and go. That paired with high comp maybe 10.5:1 would really make the car fly and even then it can still be boosted just in low PSI. That would prevent lag prior to boost. The car already feels faster than my SER sentra and it's 40hp less and the same weight. I'm sure the high gear ratio and long stroke helps that alot.

But my thought is the cometic gasket with ARP studs and lightweight forged rods and pistons should handle higher compression pressure even when under low less than 8psi boost. I know the SE-R sentra guys do this build and it works great on the weak QR25 aluminum engine. I'd bet the B20a is stronger than the QR25DE
And What head mods could be done? I've heard a B21 head works very good and has great components for high hp ratings. Higher than I'm looking for. I've also read B18/B20/B21 cams can all be used in this head.

Any positive input would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 89 lude burns oil. Looking to upgrade B20a5

Why do you keep coming back here for advice on a motor that 99.9% of these luders do not know about?

I already told you where to go, all your answers are there.

If you get any real worth information off of here for a B20a5 build you will be very fortunate.

Sorry bro, they just don't understand the workings of the Bastard B motors.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, take your question to PP.com or at least search there.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, most of the users on here more concerned with 4th and 5th gen cars, and don't know much of anything about the older ones.

Hell, I have spent a bunch of time driving every gen except gen1, and I still don't know much of anything about most of the cars other than 4th gens, and the H motors that the 5th gen also has.

But for what it sound like you want to do, why not track down another engine, and build it out of the car, then just do a swap when it is ready? Most times you can find a decent engine to use, or a whole car to yank one from, for under $1000 I would say, and probably under $500 for an 89.