Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

CR-Z getting a conventional engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: CR-Z getting a conventional engine

Fleabag is just making a point to argue, nothing else and nothing more. I wonder if he's even test drove a CRZ yet? Looks like he's just pulling information from various resources on the internet and spouting off.

Like I said before, if you don't like the new direction of Honda and the CRZ they just produced, just ignore it and get off your soapbox.

I'm sure Honda will miss your valuable input and dollars for your future car purchase.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue-Civic-Hybrid
Fleabag is just making a point to argue, nothing else and nothing more. I wonder if he's even test drove a CRZ yet? Looks like he's just pulling information from various resources on the internet and spouting off.
Well considering that I purchased my '98 Civic based upon "just pulling information from various resources on the internet" and I found the vehicle to perform exactly as expected and was exactly what I wanted, I'd say that method works quite well. Most information I've found on the Internet talking about specific issues or "features" of cars tend to pan out correctly in real life. I see nothing to indicate that the CR-Z is a desirable car that makes any sense to buy with the same being true of the Chevrolet Volt..
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WanganRunner
^^
This.

If it gets an Si powerplant for about the same as an Si sedan, I'd definitely go buy one.

Hell, they should do a CRZ-R. Factory lightweight. Red Seats, the whole riceboy treatment. I'd be all over that.
+1
Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love how everyone keeps talking about how they'd love to see a CR-Z with a K20 in it. but then they don't think of what it would cost to manufacture, let alone the overall interest in such a car.

We need to remember that while us enthusiasts would love a car like that, we only make up for a small percentage of the global population of honda buyers, therefore, the total number of purchases of a K20 CRZ would not outweigh the cost to build it.

Even if they did build it, it would probably cost like $30 grand or something. Look at the Mugen Si, it was a Civic Si with a body kit and wheels with a $10 grand mark up.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabag
It almost makes you wonder if the CRZ's platform is that of some hatchback Honda already makes and they just fubared the body panels to make it into a 2 door coupe instead of the 5 seater hatchback that it is..
Makes one wonder? The CRZ shares (at least part of) the chassis with the Fit and Insight. It is a hatchback platform made into a 2 seater, just as the original CRX and Del Sol were variants of the Civic hatchback at the time (and the Fit fills the role today that the Civic used to, subcompact hatchback).

Originally Posted by Blue-Civic-Hybrid
Fleabag is just making a point to argue, nothing else and nothing more.
The term you're looking for is "troll".
Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wazup
i love how everyone keeps talking about how they'd love to see a CR-Z with a K20 in it. but then they don't think of what it would cost to manufacture, let alone the overall interest in such a car.

We need to remember that while us enthusiasts would love a car like that, we only make up for a small percentage of the global population of honda buyers, therefore, the total number of purchases of a K20 CRZ would not outweigh the cost to build it.

Even if they did build it, it would probably cost like $30 grand or something. Look at the Mugen Si, it was a Civic Si with a body kit and wheels with a $10 grand mark up.
Mugen SI.......
- limited 1000 units
- suspension
- exhaust
- wheels
- front lip
- rear bumper
- rear wing spoiler
- shift ****

Etc.

You are comparing a VERY limited production vehicle to a car that is more like the Civic Hybrid vs the Civic SI. Your analogy is pretty far off. Also, try purchasing some of those Mugen Civic SI parts new, some people spend around $3000 for just wheels alone, not even the lip kits and spoiler that are limited to 1/1000 units of production.

The Civic has a Natural Gas variant, a Hydrogen variant, a Hybrid variant, a conventional variant (R18), and the performance variant (K20). If you are going to suggest putting a conventional and/or performance motor in the CR-Z is equivalent to the Mugen SI you are just being ridiculous. And I don't know about you, but I have yet to see one Natural Gas or Hydrogen Civic on the road or at a dealership near me, yet they still are available for me to order from my dealership and online.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Mugen SI.......
- limited 1000 units
- suspension
- exhaust
- wheels
- front lip
- rear bumper
- rear wing spoiler
- shift ****

Etc.

You are comparing a VERY limited production vehicle to a car that is more like the Civic Hybrid vs the Civic SI. Your analogy is pretty far off. Also, try purchasing some of those Mugen Civic SI parts new, some people spend around $3000 for just wheels alone, not even the lip kits and spoiler that are limited to 1/1000 units of production.

The Civic has a Natural Gas variant, a Hydrogen variant, a Hybrid variant, a conventional variant (R18), and the performance variant (K20). If you are going to suggest putting a conventional and/or performance motor in the CR-Z is equivalent to the Mugen SI you are just being ridiculous. And I don't know about you, but I have yet to see one Natural Gas or Hydrogen Civic on the road or at a dealership near me, yet they still are available for me to order from my dealership and online.

I'm not sure what your point is either. I was comparing the production cost, not availability. I was trying to convey that we need to consider that Honda priced the Mugen Si for so much in comparison to regular Si.

Knowing this, we could apply this logic to the possibility of a K20 CRZ. If Honda released such a car, it would be more of a niche car. Just because Civic Si's are widely available, doesn't mean a K20 CRZ would be. The CRZ is a two seater, whereas the Civic Si seats five (in either form), so it wouldn't be very accomodating for most people. So in turn, if honda did release a K20 CR-Z, there probably wouldn't be very many in production, which would ultimately hike the price up.

As for the natural gas Civic being available, I'm not sure what state you live in, but because of the lacking infracstructure of natural gas stations, it's only available in like five states or something like that.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 AM
He knows where you live!

I'm not sure what your point is either. I was comparing the production cost, not availability. I was trying to convey that we need to consider that Honda priced the Mugen Si for so much in comparison to regular Si.

Knowing this, we could apply this logic to the possibility of a K20 CRZ. If Honda released such a car, it would be more of a niche car. Just because Civic Si's are widely available, doesn't mean a K20 CRZ would be. The CRZ is a two seater, whereas the Civic Si seats five (in either form), so it wouldn't be very accomodating for most people. So in turn, if honda did release a K20 CR-Z, there probably wouldn't be very many in production, which would ultimately hike the price up.

As for the natural gas Civic being available, I'm not sure what state you live in, but because of the lacking infracstructure of natural gas stations, it's only available in like five states or something like that.
Your whole post was the point I suppose. You talk about the availability, demand, and interest for the car. I am sure there is as much interest for a conventional motor, not even a performance model, CR-Z as there is for a Natural Gas Civic, yet there is Honda producing it.

Next up is your point of increased production cost, my point of listing all those models is they are all quite different in their drive-trains, but again, Honda is there producing and selling them.

Next was your bringing in a limited run production car as a price comparison. A better comparison is the Civic Hybrid vs the Civic SI, priced $23,950 and $22,405 respectively. Same overall chassis, same overall interior, completely different drivetrains though and the costs are not far off at all - adding just the HFP lip kit raises the SI to above the Hybrid's cost.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your whole post was the point I suppose. You talk about the availability, demand, and interest for the car. I am sure there is as much interest for a conventional motor, not even a performance model, CR-Z as there is for a Natural Gas Civic, yet there is Honda producing it.

Next up is your point of increased production cost, my point of listing all those models is they are all quite different in their drive-trains, but again, Honda is there producing and selling them.

Next was your bringing in a limited run production car as a price comparison. A better comparison is the Civic Hybrid vs the Civic SI, priced $23,950 and $22,405 respectively. Same overall chassis, same overall interior, completely different drivetrains though and the costs are not far off at all - adding just the HFP lip kit raises the SI to above the Hybrid's cost.

Ok, fair enough. You're right, I was a bit off in my comparison, but my main point in all this is that I personally believe that the possibility of a K20 CR-Z is really slim and even they did produce one, it would likely be in the $30k range, which wouldn't be very enticing to the general public, even though us enthusiasts would be all over it.

Nonetheless, as far as the CR-Z getting a conventional engine, period, that would be nice. They'd most like put the Fit engine in it, and it would probably get the same mpg as it does currently. LOL
Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 AM
He knows where you live!

Ok, fair enough. You're right, I was a bit off in my comparison, but my main point in all this is that I personally believe that the possibility of a K20 CR-Z is really slim and even they did produce one, it would likely be in the $30k range, which wouldn't be very enticing to the general public, even though us enthusiasts would be all over it.

Nonetheless, as far as the CR-Z getting a conventional engine, period, that would be nice. They'd most like put the Fit engine in it, and it would probably get the same mpg as it does currently. LOL
And agreed, I don't think a K20 CR-Z or even a 'performance' CR-Z is anywhere remotely in the works. But I wouldn't be surprised to see maybe like an R18 engine make it in there. (I think that is what is in a Fit and base Civics?) Personally I'm surprised they didn't come out with the conventional version first to test waters with the design.

And yeah, the MPG is dismal compared to the Fit, probably would get the same if not better than the Fit.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And agreed, I don't think a K20 CR-Z or even a 'performance' CR-Z is anywhere remotely in the works. But I wouldn't be surprised to see maybe like an R18 engine make it in there. (I think that is what is in a Fit and base Civics?) Personally I'm surprised they didn't come out with the conventional version first to test waters with the design.

And yeah, the MPG is dismal compared to the Fit, probably would get the same if not better than the Fit.
Civics have the R18. The Fit has the L15.

Here in the US, we only get the "high performance" variant of the L engine in the Fit. In Japan, they also have a few other choices for better economy. This is probably why the US Fit and base Civic are so comparable in terms of mileage, we're comparing the "high mileage" but larger displacement R to the "high performance" but smaller displacement L.