Steering rack or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack and/or something else?

Hey guys,

Ok, last weekend I went up to Toad's friend's shop and we did a big brake upgrade on my fronts, while also replacing my 14's with some 15's on Azenis. We were planning on also doing the steering rack end bushing, and inner/outer tie rods while under there. Luckily though, the shop we were tackling this at was a Honda shop and the owner checked it out before we removed the tie rods/steering rack. He said he felt play in the steering rack itself...which he said he's never seen in a manual steering rack on a Honda before. I felt lucky. So anyway, I'm bummed because I thought I was going to fix my steering issue (which was what I thought in line with a bad rack end bushing) with what I had on hand...now I'm looking for a steering rack. Well, we finished the brake swap and all is good. A couple things I noticed were that the Azenis are much louder then my last tires which is why I didn't notice the other thing that I do now...

When I'm driving, it sounds like a 'whoom-whoom-whoom' with close repetition, the faster I go. I thought it was just the loud Azenis. Well I noticed today that when I turn right, it's more noticeable. But when I turn left, I can't seem to hear it. Maybe that could be the wheels out of balance?

I also noticed that when I am stopped in a parking lot and crank the wheel to make a sharp turn, it almost feels like the steering rack is popping out...never felt anything like it. Once it gets straight though, it's better.

Lastly, I noticed there's a lot of vibration in the steering wheel itself when driving from say 0-45. After that, it smooths out. Also, when I brake it pulls to the left. The rotors, pads, upper control arms, and lower ball joints are new. No, I haven't gotten an alignment since the brake swap. I was going to wait until I got a steering rack as to not pay $75 twice in a months timeframe.

I am thinking there's something else going on here other then the steering rack needing replaced. When he told me the steering rack needs replaced, I thought, "Well why? What made it go bad...especially if it's a rare site." So that makes me think something else is going on here too. I know I probably shouldn't be driving on it right now (it honestly doesn't feel safe - although I've driven a couple hundred miles since the brake swap), but it's my only mode of transportation, besides a bike and it's too damn cold to ride that to work right now.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to things to check out that could be bad additional to the steering rack and, as for causes of the steering rack going bad?

Thanks!

Modified by Its me DUB at 3:14 PM 1/25/2008

Modified by Its me DUB at 5:21 PM 1/25/2008
Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Steering rack and/or something else? (Its me DUB)

I know what it is...it is the link between the seat and steering wheel.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Its me DUB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys,

..... He said he felt play in the steering rack itself...which he said he's never seen in a manual steering rack on a Honda before.[/i]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could be from the steering rack mount bushings, there are 4 and two bolts on one side and one large one that goes around the steering rack itself on the other. Could also be worn out inner tie rods.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Its me DUB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A couple things I noticed were that the Azenis are much louder then my last tires which is why I didn't notice the other thing that I do now...[/i]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definately, Azenis are a louder tire I think due to their non-symmetrical tread design, I went from a Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 to Yokohama AVS ES100 to the Falken Azenis RT-615's and the Azenis are by far the loudest on the road.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Its me DUB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I'm driving, it sounds like a 'whoom-whoom-whoom' with close repetition, the faster I go. I thought it was just the loud Azenis. Well I noticed today that when I turn right, it's more noticeable. But when I turn left, I can't seem to hear it.[/i]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds more like a bad wheel bearing if its louder turning one way than the other. Other things I would check condition of are outter tie rods, upper and lower balljoints, strut rod bushings, lower control arm inner pivot bushings and shock to lower control arm bushings. Replacing the rack end bushing is probably a good idea as well.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering rack and/or something else? (CRX Toad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know what it is...it is the link between the seat and steering wheel. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Checked that. Could be the problem, but the 'How-to' on replacing it sounds down-right tough. I'll save that for last.

Any other input?

p.s. Whatever it ends up being, I'm blaming on you for your crappy driving to the shop.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Its me DUB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Checked that. Could be the problem, but the 'How-to' on replacing it sounds down-right tough. I'll save that for last.

Any other input?

p.s. Whatever it ends up being, I'm blaming on you for your crappy driving to the shop. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're a *****
Old 01-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Its me DUB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Any other input?

p.s. Whatever it ends up being, I'm blaming on you for your crappy driving to the shop. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The noise (whom whom whom) sounds like a bearing issue to me, I've got bad wheel bearings and have the same issue.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Steering rack and/or something else? (JustAnotherRex)

I got the same rack issues as you do. My steering sucks and is very sloppy. After i did the inner and outer tie rods i noticed this. I think i must have pulled the rack from one side to another to much or too far during the install.

You can't find a rebuilt manual rack anywhere because everone lists the 91 crx rack as power for some reason. They say the manual racks never go bad but they do get f'd up. I am going to pick up a used rack and while its out replace whatever i can then install it. I know it will fix the problem....or spend some money and do the quick steer rack and pinion!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering rack and/or something else? (alscrx)

if you decide to do the quaife quick steering rack and pinion make sure you get a dx or std model steering rack and not an si. The quaife parts were designed around a dx rack and the pinion gear isn't the correct length for an si rack. There have been posts about this that you can see if you search. Just FYI.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put a rack in it
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 AM

I've got an '88 crx si with the same issue, play in my manual steering rack. Just bought the car, both boots have been torn/open for quite awhile, it looks like.
I noticed the looseness, figured inner tie rods. As i went to install i saw the actual rack moving when holding the inner tie rods stationary. I cant find a manual rack either.

Does anyone know about putting in a power rack? will they fit? If it fits, i dont think it would be an issue. I have seen people do engine swaps and leave out power steering pump or disconnect it from the rack. Any ideas?