Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering Rack recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack recommendation

Hello everyone...I am experiencing excessive play in my steering. Other words, when I turn the steering wheel, it doesn't immediately turn. The steering is loose. Possibly replacing the entire steering rack? Any recommendation on who to puchase from, instructions for removal and install, what the cost would be. Anything would be helpful. I have a 93 Civic CX HB

thanks in advance
Old 09-03-2005, 11:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Steering Rack recommendation (CivicHB93JDM)

Check the tie rod ends on the steering rack. First thing actually, check your power steering fluid. Then see if the car needs an alignment. If it is the steering rack, you probably wont have to replace all of it. search here, there is a DIY on how to installa quaife steering rack, and this will give direction to taking the old one out. ALSO, check the junkyard first. buying a whole new steering rack from Honda will cost a fortune.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:49 AM

I had MAJOR play in mine. Ended up being the R&P rode ends. They connect the actual rack to the outer tie rod end and look like a "ball in socket" contraption. They should just rotate and not have to ability to push in and out. More than likely, you'll need to change the boots on them also. The ends were about $50 a piece. Lisle makes a tool to remove/install those things without removing the rack. Total cost of parts and tools were less than half the cost the shop qutoed me.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering Rack recommendation (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the tie rod ends on the steering rack. First thing actually, check your power steering fluid. Then see if the car needs an alignment. If it is the steering rack, you probably wont have to replace all of it. search here, there is a DIY on how to installa quaife steering rack, and this will give direction to taking the old one out. ALSO, check the junkyard first. buying a whole new steering rack from Honda will cost a fortune. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I checked the tie rod ends and they are fine. I did noticed the rack guide, screw, o-ring, spring, and locknut is missing. It's located on the driver side(steering gear box). Puzzled on how it came off. Could that possible be the answer to the excessive play in the steering. I searched here for DYI but did not find anyting. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats absolutly your problem. Your gonna get messy and have to take **** apart, and dont be surprised if some washers and **** have to be replaced. If there is no rack "guide", that will cause some play I'm sure. Get some grease, tools, and a trip to a Honda dealer. search for 'quaife' in the EG/EK forum, and check the DIY thread, someone posted how to swap steering racks, and thatll at least tell ya how to take your rack apart.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering Rack recommendation (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats absolutly your problem. Your gonna get messy and have to take **** apart, and dont be surprised if some washers and **** have to be replaced. If there is no rack "guide", that will cause some play I'm sure. Get some grease, tools, and a trip to a Honda dealer. search for 'quaife' in the EG/EK forum, and check the DIY thread, someone posted how to swap steering racks, and thatll at least tell ya how to take your rack apart. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. I will give it a try.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the steering rack off last night. Found out that the nipple that held the rack guide, screw, spring, and nut together is broken off. Sending it off and having it refurbished with new parts. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for the help.