Notices

Steering rack boot damaged, how to replace without taking off tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering rack boot damaged, how to replace without taking off tie rod ends

Hi guys,

Just found out the rubber boots for the steering rack is damaged, the gear rack is exposed. So far everything works. Is there anything like special boot that allow you to replace it without taking off the tie rods? I will hate to do alignment again. I remember there some kind of boot that you can wrap around and glue it together... I saw it on porsch forum for CV axle boot. Do we have similar stuff for steering rack boot??
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Steering rack boot damaged, how to replace without taking off tie rod ends

What model and year?
Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Steering rack boot damaged, how to replace without taking off tie rod ends

Originally Posted by Yuta
Hi guys,

Just found out the rubber boots for the steering rack is damaged, the gear rack is exposed. So far everything works. Is there anything like special boot that allow you to replace it without taking off the tie rods? I will hate to do alignment again. I remember there some kind of boot that you can wrap around and glue it together... I saw it on porsch forum for CV axle boot. Do we have similar stuff for steering rack boot??
you probably need to replace the inner tie rods if the boots are torn and have been for a while...

not to mention the rack end bushing.

you wont be accomplishing much try to just cover the boots.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300k
What model and year?
It is a 1991 civic ef hatch
Old 11-14-2015, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they do make a 2 piece boot for the rack, but as said by Tyson, if the boots worn out, there is a fair chance the tie rod, bushing, and any other exposed components may need repaired or replaced as well.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd just leave it, but youre gonna still have to replace it. I have the inner tie rod exposed on my pass side. No boot, for atleast a whole month now. Even though i'm not proud of this I can say nothing odd has happened from it. I plan to just cover it with something around the house. 29.99 just for one boot, I dont likey.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 91 CRX si came to me with from previous owner who had just put new tie rods and boots on it……
but it was junk and the steering was catchy

I took it apart, took the rack out of the car, and because the boot had been torn and rebooted, it was not done properly.
The rack, was dry and a BUNCH of rusty nasty stuff came out of it (it is supposed to be lubed up, not rusty and dry)

I cleaned up the rack even though it was pitted, greased it, I put a rack end bushing on it, and reassembled and put in the car adjusted the friction nut for centering, and checked the toe and adjusted to spec.

DON'T just reboot it. Don't drive around with a torn boot because the crap that goes in it will ruin your rack over time.

-I should have actually just replaced my rack seeing as how bad it was pitted…...