Notices

Sputtering problem all over the RPM range

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering problem all over the RPM range

I'll try to keep this short but I know how dire details are....1990 Civic with DOHC ZC running on PM7 ecu..... The car ran fine except for a small idling problem before all this happened about a month ago, my exhaust cam slipped a tooth. Took it to a mechanic and he said he put it back in time (which he didn't, it was still off a tooth) So I put a new timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner, cam seals, front main seal and valve cover gasket kit. Got the mechanical timing on point with no code 9. Drove it to work last Friday and beginning in any gear the engine would rev but my speed wouldn't increase. Sometimes it was jolt....it would happen in the start of any gear until about 3k RPMs. I thought it was the clutch. So I put a new rear main seal, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Drove it a week later to work on this past Friday (yesterday) and it was doing the same thing. I would have to ease on the gas to try to prevent it from acting up. Realized my ignition timing was probably off, which it was. It was way too retarded. So today I got the ignition timing right then took it for a twenty minute test drive. Drove fine for the first twenty minutes. I pulled in the driveway and let it sit for a couple minutes and went to go back out for another ride and it starting doing the same thing. It sputters all the time now through the whole RPM range and was hard to get it up to speed at a normal pace.

So I checked my ignition timing again and did a compression test. From cylinder 1-4 these are the readings...185, 182, 180, 185.....It's throwing no codes and it starts right up everytime with no problem......it just sputters constantly. I'm just getting tired of working on the car more than I have been driving it recently. Any help is greatly appreciated and if you need addition info I'll try to respond quickly as possible.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sputtering problem all over the RPM range

You could have fouled the spark plugs from the timing being so retarded ?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sputtering problem all over the RPM range

Yeah that thought crossed my mind......I'll try cleaning them up and see if it helps. I've replaced all the basic maintenance ignition parts (before the timing belt slip) except for spark plug wires.....I've replaced rotor, cap, and plugs. Does anyone have any other ideas?