Notices

Radiator fan not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan not turning on

Quick question for all you slim fan users.

Bought mine at mopac about 3 months ago and in all it's time on the car it has never turned on. The temp gauge in the car works as usual, the system is not overheating probably because of the new rad and new coolant. The old fan that was on worked fine and I basically cut the wires on the fan side and reused the stock plug to make it look cleaner.

How do I test it first so I am sure it works? Can I do something with the battery to make it go on for a few seconds so I can be sure it is not defective?

new rad with slim fan mounted on with mounting kit

I did search but everything applied to EG's or EK's which have different plugs.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (Mr_ET)

if you just let it idle for a while it should turn on. are those butt connectors? check for continuity.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (abnaasefmb)

It doesn't, I just tested on the battery and it turns on real good.

I know the wires are good and the relay, thermostat and fuse were fine before so I'm guessing I screwed something up when I refilled the system.

When I did it I took the cap off and filled it till full and then left the cap off until I saw bubbles. After that I screwed the cap back on.

I never did unscrew the bolt on the top rad hose. should I just flush everything unscre that top rad hose screw and refill wait for bubbles and cap?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:41 PM

removed my post.

YOu beat me to it.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by abnaasefmb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you just let it idle for a while it should turn on. are those butt connectors? check for continuity.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes they are and they work fine off the battery. If you guys think it will help I will solder them on permanent, I just didn't do it because I wanted to make sure the wiring was right first.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:48 PM

RUN A SWITCH TO IT
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (hondacrxturboSi)

You may have the pins mixed up? There are only 2 pins, try swapping them around and wait a good 10-15mins to idle. You dont need to solder just yet, as long as the wires are touching and the engine temp is up, your fan should turn on.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (kim_2_da_chee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kim_2_da_chee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You may have the pins mixed up? There are only 2 pins, try swapping them around and wait a good 10-15mins to idle. You dont need to solder just yet, as long as the wires are touching and the engine temp is up, your fan should turn on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't matter, the pins being reverse won't cause any issues.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_ET &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes they are and they work fine off the battery. If you guys think it will help I will solder them on permanent, I just didn't do it because I wanted to make sure the wiring was right first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i did the same thing now that i think about it. how long are you letting it idle. it would be kinda hard to expletive it up. if the air pushes back through thr radiator swicth them. a honda in good shape takes forever to warm up..

turn it on you should feel the top hose get hot pretty quick, but the lower hose will stay cool. after a while the lower hose will get hot, this is the t-stat opening up. then the fan should come on a little while after that. is the car over heating?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (RCautoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RCautoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't matter, the pins being reverse won't cause any issues.</TD></TR></TABLE> true it should kick on either pushing or pulling.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It;s wired to be a puller fan just like the oem one. But you guys are correct either way it would still work. I've waited for 30 mins of idling in my garage and still no fan. The top rad hose was hot, the rad was hot just from touching it but I never did try the bottom rad hose to see if it was hot.

The car has never overheated and the overflow tank has remained at a constant level.

The old fan used to turn on every 5-10 mins or so but that was on a rad missing half of it's bottom fins and 2 year old coolant.

Where can I check to see if the fuse is ok for the fan? Is it on the shock tower or under the dash in an EF. I've looked for it but haven't found one that I thought was for that.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:01 AM

after i installed a full length fluidyne rad my stock fan has not turned on yet and i drive a lot here in arizona...i havnt had time to check my thermoswitch.

there are some aftermarket ones out there(spoon,mugen),but i dont know which one you can use.

keep us updated if you can
Old 04-25-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (Skipper75)

i just ordered a koyo full length radiator fan for my crx...will the stock fan work with it?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (PleaseKeepOffDunes)

yeah i think it would.

you may need to modify the shroud a little,but it should work
Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (PleaseKeepOffDunes)

You will probably be fine unless the new rad is significantly thicker then stock and the fan hits the header or something.

I went with a slim fan because i'm going turbo in 2 weeks and needed more space.

So anyone know where I can check for the fan fuse?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can take the two wire plug off the thermoswitch on the thermostat housing. take a paperclip and connect the two wires in the plug together. this should turn the fan on, provided everything is hooked up correctly and your relay is good.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (Disco Monkey)

try to check you fan relay in the passenger front side in the engine compartment
Old 04-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (Disco Monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Disco Monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can take the two wire plug off the thermoswitch on the thermostat housing. take a paperclip and connect the two wires in the plug together. this should turn the fan on, provided everything is hooked up correctly and your relay is good.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
this is correct, just take the terminals off the fan switch and connect them together with a piece of wire , do this with the car in the ON position. the fan should turn right on. if it doesnt turn on run a length of wire to a good ground and touch both of those terminals (the ones you just pulled off the switch) when you connect to one of them it should turn the fan on, if it still doesnt come on either the relay is bad, or the relay is not getting power. trouble shoot from there. I just replaced my whole fan wiring and relay with my own wiring and a slim fan.

Also with the integra radiator that is in now it takes a super long time to turn on. the stock fan turns on at 200 degrees. Mine didnt turn on for 2 years. its possible its not getting hot enough idling. Mine only turn on when its really hot out and in traffic, if Im moving at all the car is usually at 180 degrees, nowhere close to where the fan turns on
Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (chris808)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris808 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try to check you fan relay in the passenger front side in the engine compartment</TD></TR></TABLE>
And make sure the relay is grounded well. That was the problem with my fan not coming on.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan not turning on (LoneStarCRX)

Anyone have a pic of where the relay is?

Is it just under the battery tray? Where does it ground so I can make sure mine is in good condition.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My 89 CRX Si is grounded on the radiator support on the battery side.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LoneStarCRX)

Ok good to know I do have a ground there too and it has always been good and nothing has changed recently