Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

radiator fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator fan not working

I've been working on a 96 del sol and the radiator fan has been giving me problems. when we bought the car, the fan was wired to turn on whenever the corner lights were on. my brother and i want the car to run just as it is suppose to stock, so i went at trying to figure out why the fan would not come on how it is suppose to. i replaced all the blown fuses and wired everything back to normal, and the fan still wouldn't come on. i jumped the plug for the fanswitch(ECT) on the thermostat housing and turned the key to the on position, and the fan came on. from the previous posts on here, i knew i'd have to replace my fanswitch(ECT). i bought a brand new one and installed it. i made sure the coolant was filled and bled and i let the car idle for about 15 min.. the fan started to work like how it was suppose to, so i figured i had fixed the problem. a couple of days later, i started the car and drove it around for alittle bit just to test the fan. the fan wouldn't come on. i have checked all fuses, except the big black 12V fuses, and they are still good. i jumped the fan from the fuse box under the hood and it worked. i tried to jump the fan from the fanswitch(ECT) plug and now it doesn't work. anybody have any suggestions what i should do?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hum, could it be the relay?
Or maybe it's a cable/wire that is snapped/not connected someplace between the switch and the fuse box?

Old 08-16-2005, 08:52 AM

i thought to check the big, black 12V relay, but i don't know how to except by putting in a different relay and just letting the car heat up and wait to see if the fan works. Also, i have no idea which wire goes where under the hood. i forgot to mention that when i used my test light to see if i am getting constant power at the plug that the radiator fan hooks to, there's nothing. on my brother's car, i tested that same plug and even without the key in the ON position, that plug still gets power constantly.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Snapped wire, or the relay.

Buy a relay, if that does not work... Well... check the wires.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: radiator fan not working (lazydude-t)

HOw many wires coming from fan...do you have a manual to tell you how to wire it into the ect....there should be a way to check the relay by continuity test.... but you need the manual i think..cause i forgot the method...they should be cheap for relay...