Notices

questions about plastic covering inside of door panel ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about plastic covering inside of door panel ?

what is the purpose of the plastic on inside of door (after taking panel off), is it just for water not to leak into area whrere speaker is?

i was working on my windows for passenger and drivers side and one of them did'nt have any plastic on it, and so i was wondering if it is necessary or not ?

and if so, then can i just use any plastic to put on there ? like a garbage bag cut to same size as plastic on other door ?? and silicone the edges so it sticks?

or does it have to be other plastic etc... ???

thanks for any info
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions about plastic covering inside of door panel ?

Originally Posted by crxaddikt
what is the purpose of the plastic on inside of door (after taking panel off), is it just for water not to leak into area whrere speaker is?

i was working on my windows for passenger and drivers side and one of them did'nt have any plastic on it, and so i was wondering if it is necessary or not ?

and if so, then can i just use any plastic to put on there ? like a garbage bag cut to same size as plastic on other door ?? and silicone the edges so it sticks?

thanks for any info
I think it's just to cutdown on wind and keep crap out of there. If I remember correctly, we just replaced mine with some clear plastic sheet picked up from the hardware store. However, that did not work out that well and on one of my cars I ended up just ripping one side out and running without it.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why do you say that did'nt work out so well ?,

i was thinking of just using some clear plastic thats sort of on the thick side, not as thin as a garbage bag, and cut it to size and put bead of silicone around perimeter to glue it in place.

i just wanted to see if there was any info i needed to know, or if certain types of plastic would make noise inside fluttering around, or if there was some type of plastic people knew about that was almost exactly like the kind honda had in there that you could use etc..

but i have a feeling if i do what i mentioned above it should be fine, but if anyone has anything to add or any tips then please mention them.....
Old 06-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the general idea behind that plastic on most cars is to help cut down on humidity getting into the car. No big deal if you run without it, imo. (Especially if you live in a dry area.)
Old 06-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought it did something to help protect from water getting on speakers or something? does it? or not?

i know its not a real important post or anything, i just simply wanted to learn about the plastic and its purpose just so i know about it, and if i need to put some on or not before i put the door panel back together.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No speaker is still exposed in the back. It is just to keep humidity down like crxguy said. Neither of the doors in my crx have them. I have had no problems. Ben off for years.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its probably for insulation purposes, would be my bet.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright cool, thanks, now i know they are'nt that important, and that its fine for me to leave that one door without the plastic.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its called a dust shield. keeps crap out of the door that sneaks in through the bottom of the window. a friend of mine drove his car on a dirt road and dust was flying in from around the door panel because he didn't have it (I mean A LOT of dust too, like a vaccuum on reverse). since air doesn't flow past it (not fast enough anyway) the pressure keeps most of the dust from even getting inside the door. without it, dust and stuff can get into the cabin through the window>door panel gaps. if you use your fan/air conditioning, it will help press the air out the door as well, keeping dust out of the door. also, leading to a less efficient a/c system, as the nice dry air escapes out of those same holes, instead of recirculating inside.

without the dust shield, when it rains, and the rain seeps into the door around the window, some piddle will get on the door panel, maybe eventually ruining the presswood (or whatever that is, will rot/warp) and maybe allowing a little water into the cabin area.

not a big deal for some people, if they even experience this. if i tear mine apart pretty bad, i just cut up a garbage bag and use some masking tape to hold it up and seal it. it only takes a couple minutes to fab one up, and if you want to help preserve your vehicles, its a good idea to have that plastic in there. if you make a slice in one to unbolt a window, you can also tape it back up.

hope that helps.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove my Accord for several months without it in there. I didn't run into any trouble. That's interesting about the dust, though. I thought it was for sound deadening.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was planning on putting some plastic on the window that did'nt have it, but i just was saying that i learned that its not necessary from the replies i got on the post, but i was'nt just going to leave it off, i like putting stuff back the way it was designed to be like.

but i want to put plastic even more after hearing your story about the dust and water and everything, cause i would'nt like that.

just a guess, but it seems like it might also help from moisture or humidity from creeping in during those warm rainy days, keeping from fogging inside of car all up, or leaving a wet film along the insides of the windows that you have to wipe off.

it would be cool to put a layer of sound deadening like dynomat-like material, but cheaper, before putting the panels back on, so door would be more solid when closing it and keep road noise out a little more, plus making the speakers in the doors sound better and lessening any rattling that could occur.

i don't have any extra money to be buying Dynomat or anything, but i wonder if it would work just getting some of that self-stick shiny silver insulation at home depot that is used for roofing or atticks or whatever ? cause it be cheaper than Dynomat

or that stuff thats like a thick foam you spray onto stuff that fills in and sticks to panels deadening them. (probably not worth doing any of that crap, i'm fine just the way it is, cause i never find myself complaining about road noise anyway), i'm just rambling on for no reason, so i'm going to just stop right here.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used plastic "drop cloth" sheeting from home depot. It comes in several different thicknesses so you can get the right one.

The real secret is what you use to apply it. I use 3M strip caulking because it stays tacky and will allow you to pull off the plastic if you need to fix something in the door.

not a crx, but here is what you want to end up with.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for that usefull information GRINGO_7718,

i'm going to take your advise and get that exact stuff you mentioned, cause i can see from the pic how its solid and not all cheap and baggy plus having that strip make it easy to peel away if your working on it and just put right back....,

its funny i did'nt expect this post with such a simple question to be so long, but i learned a lot of little things i did'nt know before, so thats why its worth asking things like that....
Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes sir i learned a lot too, gonna do the same thing to my rex.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:55 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by crxaddikt

thanks for any info
My Odyssey was collecting water under the carpet under the passenger feet. Had the windshield resealed multiple time upon recommendation of the dealer without success. Then dealer recommended replacing windshield to be sure it was sealed properly, but I didn't take their recommendations. One day the the passenger side window regulator malfunctioned, and I proceeded to replace it. I removed the inner panel of the door and found the inner plastic liner missing. So I got me a thick piece of liner, cut it to fit the door pockets and sealed with special sealer from parts house. Low and behold the water accumulation under passenger was eliminated, and has been dry for two years.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's more a moisutre barrier to keep condensation outside the car, keeps windows from foggin up so much too. And cold air out the car not inside the car, making heating and AC work easiere.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda had an excess amount of garbage bags they didn't know what to do with. I drove the crx with no plastic, no door panels, and a wedge holding the window up. No dust problems, living next to a grain silo.
Originally Posted by bheinen74
it's more a moisutre barrier to keep condensation outside the car, keeps windows from foggin up so much too. And cold air out the car not inside the car, making heating and AC work easiere.
NOTHING keeps Honda windows from fogging apart from living somewhere that it's not an issue. Go to a dealer lot, look at a new one around 6 a.m. It's kinda pathetic.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its funny when i get a reply from one of my older posts i made, but after reading through it, it makes me want to re-check my plastic door barriers, to make sure they are sealed and cover the whole area like it supposed to, cause i don't think i covered the whole area like it was from the factory, and since it can affect windows fogging up and stuff, i mise well do it right, cause i have issues with fogging up windows in muggy/rainy weather.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:00 PM
Trial User

WIND: At least in American cars, this plastic is primarily a wind break. Without it and with all windows up, at above 40MPH you would experience annoying breeze around your hand and/or arm area depending on car. It's just enough to feel some arm hairs move. It comes from through the window switches, pwrdlock, but primarily from the door handle as this has the largest opening allowing the handle to swing. Often times a piece of foam is slid around this handle on higher end cars.

The wind travels up through the drain holes on door bottom but at highway speeds it forced into just about any crevice available. Service department customers would often notice the difference if mechanics didn't replace the plastic or only a portion of it. It would give customers the false sense the door was not closed correctly and freak them out.