Notices

PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help::

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help::

Whats going on guys... just installed my vafc on my mugen chipped PR3, Everything work great Except for the fact that no matter what i set the engagement point to for vtec x-over, my vtec will only activate where the mugen program tells it to, which is 5800 rpm ... iv run searches iv followed the posts and switched pressure wires, nothing...iv also played with settings, and correction rates..still nothing...checked sensor voltage ( which it have ) still....
as of now i have L-H at 5000 and H-L at 4800, when i reach 5000rpm VTi on the vafc says "ON", but i wont actually feel or hear vtec engage until 5800

please nay help would be great...this is killing me my stock b16 1st gens cams don't make power up there... this sucks
Old 07-21-2003, 05:54 PM
No Big Whoop

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help:: (allmotorDA6)

It's your wiring.
the Mugen chip doesn't even look for a VSS or oil prssure switch to activate VTEC.
So you must not have wired the VTEC solenid into the VAFC correctly.
Double check those connections
Old 07-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help:: (Spaceballs the lunch box)

as far as the vafc everyhting is wired exactly how the manual is listed i checked this about 10 times... and as for engine it self im using the factor JDM harness, nothing cut or rewired so i know the solenoid is wired properly...
how many wires off the vafc have to do with vtec ? just pink and purple right ? iv even gone as far as switching those ect ect still...

knowing that the mugen ecu doesn't look for vss signal or oil pressure should i wire the vafc differently ?
Old 07-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help:: (allmotorDA6)

anyone else runnning a mugen pr3 have problems with vafc ?
Old 07-21-2003, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok man i think you did what i did. when you say that the vti says on but there is no vtec that is because the vti is when the ecu engages vtec. you need to look and the vto, that is when the vtec controller will turn the vtec on and you will hear and feel it. give it a shot and let me know if it works.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Switch the yellow and white wires. Keep the pink and purple like the manual shows. POS manual.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:20 PM

Default Re: PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help:: (MisterB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MisterB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok man i think you did what i did. when you say that the vti says on but there is no vtec that is because the vti is when the ecu engages vtec. you need to look and the vto, that is when the vtec controller will turn the vtec on and you will hear and feel it. give it a shot and let me know if it works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, check out what MisterB said. I had a customer "play around" with his VAFC and it turned out to be the "VTI" and "VTO" settings. Make sure you have the "VTO" settings right. ( Vtec OUTPUT )
Old 07-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help:: (Phat_Optimo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phat_Optimo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Switch the yellow and white wires. Keep the pink and purple like the manual shows. POS manual. </TD></TR></TABLE> I have seen this advice on other HT threads too....but to tell u the truth, i have tryed this on my car and another friend's and all it did was bog out like crazy! I have always wired the VAFC in according to the manual and have had no problems. Has anyone else had REAL personal experience with switching those two pressure wires...i dont want none of that word of mouth stuff...just real experience please.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:28 PM

Default Re: PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help:: (fourthgenhatchB17)

Im running a vafc w/ mugen chip PR3 ecu also...everything seems to be working fine for me except every now and then ill get a check engine light...the led on my ecu will just stay on constant meaning no blinks and the car will bog like a ****..sometimes i just turn the car off and start it again and cel goes away and car will be running fine again, but then there are other times when ill have to reset my ecu...any of you guys familiar w/ this??? I hooked all the wires up as shown in the manual...vtec is set at 5800 and works fine as well
Old 07-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help:: (Phat_Optimo)

Phat_Optimo switched the wires as stated and the car can barley hold an idle let alone dirve properly... and about this vti/vto , is there certain settings for these ? or is this just a litle guage that flashes on once in vtec ? i dont understand.... i only have 2 settings for vtec on my vafc.. the actually vtec controller wher ei cna chage low-high cam engagment and then there is vtec corection rate... other than that i have no settings for vti/ vto ?
please xplain a little more this is killing me...
Old 07-22-2003, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

VTI and VTO just show you when VTEC is activated. Pay attention to VTO.

H&gt;L and L&gt;H is where you change it.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help:: (rustycivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rustycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im running a vafc w/ mugen chip PR3 ecu also...everything seems to be working fine for me except every now and then ill get a check engine light...the led on my ecu will just stay on constant meaning no blinks and the car will bog like a ****..sometimes i just turn the car off and start it again and cel goes away and car will be running fine again, but then there are other times when ill have to reset my ecu...any of you guys familiar w/ this??? I hooked all the wires up as shown in the manual...vtec is set at 5800 and works fine as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

your problem sounds exactly like mine a few months ago. eventually my main relay started clicking really bad and i was getting a code 78 (if i remember right) and that isn't even a damn non-OBD code. and after i would kill the ignition the code would disappear.

in the end it turned out that my main relay was f*cked and causing the problem. i replaced it with a new OE part and now everything works okay again.

damn 14 year old cars
Old 07-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help:: (maztur)

exacatly, so how do i check my vti/vto settings...lol

basically i have L&gt;H 5000 and H&gt;L 4800

i have tried this so far...
connect to apexi manual color for color
results:
Runs perfect engages Vtec at the Ecu setting of 5800
DOES NOT engage at any other point no matter what i set it to
Vti turns "on" at 5800 , Vto turns "on" at 5800 also, even if i have the controller set to 5000

Switch pink & purple wires
SAME RESULTS AS ABOVE

Switch White Yellow wires
Runs Horrible studders, doesnt hold an idle
didnt even bother to chekc if the vtec function worked

OK... SOOOO
based on these results can anyone help ?
Old 07-22-2003, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotorDA6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Phat_Optimo switched the wires as stated and the car can barley hold an idle let alone dirve properly... and about this vti/vto , is there certain settings for these ? or is this just a litle guage that flashes on once in vtec ? i dont understand.... i only have 2 settings for vtec on my vafc.. the actually vtec controller wher ei cna chage low-high cam engagment and then there is vtec corection rate... other than that i have no settings for vti/ vto ?
please xplain a little more this is killing me...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man i knew switching those wires was a load of crap. Whoever started that rumor is stupid. Ok so back to ur situation....are ur ground wires wired like they are supposed to be ( u know one of the wires has to be spliced in before the other) ??

I will try and think of a solution to ur problem...
Old 07-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PR3 + Vafc = No Vtec !!! ::Searched, found nothing please help:: (fourthgenhatchB17)

yea grounds are good there about 3 inches apart is that cool ?
im going to switch back to the origonal pink/purple wiring tomarrow and do some more testing... i dont think the problem lies in the wirring, but i could be wrong
Old 07-23-2003, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you switch the pink and purple back before swithcing the yellow white? If you did not then thats your problem right there. I told you to switch the pink purple back to the way the manual shows. Yes, the wiring is wrong.

Now to everyone who thinks its a rumor that the manual is wrong "You don't know jackshit ". I am not talking out of my *** here. I am not saying what I read somewhere else. I have a PR3 with mugen chip and VAFC. There are no CELs and theres no bucking. Runs like a champ and the vafc operates flawless. I installed the vafc by myself. Some of your wires are backwards (pink and purple). Check all your connectons again and hook them up like this:

grey to ecu pin C7
black and brown are grounds
red and orange to ecu pin A13
green to ecu pin C11
white to ecu pin B5
purple to ecu pin A8
pink to engine vtec solenoid
yellow to engine pressure sensor
* do not hook up the blue wire *
Old 07-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fourthgenhatchB17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Man i knew switching those wires was a load of crap. Whoever started that rumor is stupid. Ok so back to ur situation....are ur ground wires wired like they are supposed to be ( u know one of the wires has to be spliced in before the other) ??

I will try and think of a solution to ur problem...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck trying to think up whats wrong . Thanks for calling me stupid . Jackass
Old 07-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everyone thanks for your help..including you Phat Optimo , i apreaciate it, will follow your wirring exactly and will report back to you with my new outcome if it changes
Old 07-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phat_Optimo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good luck trying to think up whats wrong . Thanks for calling me stupid . Jackass </TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt call u stupid! I said whoever started the rumor of switching those wires around is. Sheesh... please read this post really carefully before u reply, I dont want to be called a jackass again due to your misinterpretation. I'll tell u what, I wired my VAFC up EXACTLY as the manual stated and i have no problems whatsoever. I also wired it up on a friends SOHC VTEC in a 89 hatch (OBD-0) and also had no problems! It sounds like allmotorda6 already tryed switching them with no luck. I also have tryed switching them for fun when i came across a thread that said to...again no luck with that trick. BTW i do know "jackshit"...
Old 07-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i got it.. i dont know what went wrong the first time around but i completly rewired it based on the owners manual... the only thing i did not do it connect the blue wire...
now it works...
phat optimo, i belive yours might have been an older model or manual because when i do switch the yellow and white its doesnt run right.
anyway...problem solved thanks guys
Old 07-29-2003, 02:07 PM

good to see you got it working
Old 07-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotorDA6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i got it.. i dont know what went wrong the first time around but i completly rewired it based on the owners manual... the only thing i did not do it connect the blue wire...
now it works...
phat optimo, i belive yours might have been an older model or manual because when i do switch the yellow and white its doesnt run right.
anyway...problem solved thanks guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I think theres a "new" updated version. Glad see you got it squared away.