Notices

Overheating, searched hardcore...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating, searched hardcore...

I just got done putting my turbo setup on my d16z6 in my 90 dx, and ive run into some overheating problems. It was fine at first, but its been 24 hours since ive been running it, and it overheats like crazy now, and it really doesnt matter wether im boosting or not, it will go up and down, and the headgasket is not blown, because there is no oil in teh coolant. I swapped teh thermo for a new one, and all teh hoses are straight, no leaks. Im about to go out and get a radiator cap, mine looks old, but was wondering, when i get hots, the overflow tank fills all teh way up, but goes back in when its cold. Ive bled teh system over and over again, cant seem to figure this one out, and i hope its not my waterpump, it should be new, engine was rebuilt when i got it. ANy help is appreciated, thanx...
Old 04-26-2004, 10:35 AM
N/A wh0re!

Default Re: Overheating, searched hardcore... (y49crxsi)

check coolant/water level in the radiator? i think you might've done this because you said you checked for oil in the coolant.

if not that then maybe it IS the waterpump. maybe you just need to get a better radiator?

try the first two, if not that then get a radiator.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the fan coming on? over heating at idle only or while driving too?

a blown HG wont always put oil in the coolant. with the car cold open the rad cap and start the car. if you see little bubbles then the HG is toast.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:37 AM
N/A wh0re!

Default Re: Overheating, searched hardcore... (ceLtic)

and it really doesnt matter wether im boosting or not, it will go up and down....is the radiator stock? how many miles since you've had it? maybe it crapped on you because of age...? or maybe it just cant handle this type of heat?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its either the water pump or the radiator clogged possibly. Since the coolant level goes up and down its prob not the thermostat. I'd open it and look in there too.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Overheating, searched hardcore... (APEX CRX)

well, the car was fully warmed up when i was bleeding it, and it constantly bubbled here and there, but i figured it was just letting air out from when i removed the thermostat. I dont see how it can be teh headgasket, isnt there ussually lots fo white smoke, even at idle? Fan comes on fine, well, it was yesterday, dont know about today, but would that really affect it while im doing 60+mph.

Just replaced teh radiator cap, and it seemed to help, but then it started heating up again, but then when i parked it, opened my hood, there was a hose that had popped off. It went to nothing, it was just plugged with a bolt, but its been in there along time, never had any problems with it, except for now, that its popped off. Im waiting for a ride to get another peice of hose, oh, and to get my spare keys, i locked them in the car just now, could it get any worse...
Old 04-26-2004, 01:02 PM

bizzump
Old 04-26-2004, 08:25 PM

Well, I just bought another radiator, so thats a new rad, thermo, and cap, and it still will overheat when i boost hardcore, but it seems like its under alot of pressure. The upper hose expands like a ****, maybe its old, but it was trying to leak a little out of teh upper rad hose, but i turned it and it stopped hissing. I went up and down the street, not going above 5 psi, then after about 4 minutes, i hit it hard in 1st and second, and sure enough, temp shot alomst to red, but stopped, i then turned the motor off a coasted, and when it came down a little, i turned it back on, and it went up tehn back down to normal, all teh way back home, the whole 2 miles or soo, lol.

When i pulled back up into the garage, i let it idle for about 10 minutes, and it would heat up, fan would come on, and it would cool down, and it did this constatly, but at the same time, there was constant smoke coming from the rad area, and a little bit from teh thermo area. I couldnt really tell exactly where it was coming from, but im pretty sure it was the lower rad hose, it was pretty moist. All i can think of is that there is an excessive amount of pressure being put into the cooling system, but what would do this. Ill probably wire the fan to be on constantly, but i shouldnt have to. My compression, on a quick check, with out oiling the cylinders, and just pulling the ecu fuse, was 190 210 180 190 off teh top of my head though, they were around there, and im sure if i oiled the cylinders, it would eb a little closer, so im kinda ruling out the headgasket, theres not much smoke coming out the exhaust, besides teh crazy richness right now, a/f gauge is never off of fully rich unless the engine is warming up.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:36 PM

Sounds to me like you've got some serious air bubbles in it still.....do you have heat outta the dash at all???

you might just need a good coolant flush with new coolant.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Overheating, searched hardcore... (Kasper-EF8)

I would reccomend flushing your cooling system and refilling it with new coolant.

A dumb question here what kind of IC are you running?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Overheating, searched hardcore... (Kasper-EF8)

I say head gasket.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=835336
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=834085

I've noticed when they go the pressure will get into the cooling system and this causes your coolant resevoir to overflow.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Overheating, searched hardcore... (sporkcrx)

Yeah, i figured that by now, and i also remembered, even thought eh previous owner rebuilt the motor, when i pulled the head a few weeks ago, the deck was all scratched up and ****, so i bet thats my problem, but it didnt show until i boosted. I should have a block on teh way from shulder, so, when that gets here, ill have it resurfaced and throw it in. That should fix the problem, hopefully. Thanx for the info all.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:39 PM

I scraped my a6 surfaces all the way to hell. Knicks and everything from a razor blade. This particular motor hasn't seen boost yet, but very soon it well. I'm starting to see signs of a leaking head gasket too. Have any pics of how bad your surfaces are? I should of have both surfaces machined when I was working on the engine
Old 04-28-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Overheating, searched hardcore... (sporkcrx)

yeah, i was on a budget, and time, so i didnt ahve time to pull teh block out and take it to a shop. It had scratches from one side to the other, scattered, and different lengths. Like someone tried to sand the deck with fine sandpaper, and little peices of large sand particles got underneath and scratched it. Arggg, what i go through, lol.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:02 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i blew the center out of my head gasket and no fluids mixed or anyting. the only way i found out was by taking it apart.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Overheating, searched hardcore... (zcnos)

wow, how far back was this post, sheesh, lol. Well, im stilllllll waiting on my block, i bought it from shulder on here, umm, well, what, a little over 3 weeks ago, gave him 100 bucks to ship it, he tol dme he got it out over a week ago, said it should be here this week, but i didnt show. Argg..... Ill give him another day or so. i pmed him with no response. Im getting damn anxious, was supposed t have this done this weekend.