Notices

No midrange power under 5.5 psi of boost

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No midrange power under 5.5 psi of boost

Ok, just got my crx boosted, the problem is that at from 3-5k rpms I have almost no power at 5.5psi. Could this be because it is too rich, could it be the timing, any ideas?

I have a t3 set at 5.5psi and I also am using a 12:1 FMU... I know, i am working on engine management.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No midrange power under 5.5 psi of boost (Matrix_Zero)

You could be running to rich with the FMU...

The FMU only increases the fuel pressure according to the boost level. So, if you hit 5.5psi from say 3k to redline, the FMU will raise the pressure up to the same level all the way from 3k to redline.

Kinda hard to explain, but your best bet is to check your AF ratios with a wideband and see where you are at.

Are you running any sort of boost retard? If your timing isn't retarding your car might feel sluggish going into boost.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Matrix_Zero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I know, i am working on engine management.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know what you need to do... it will be a night and day difference when you switch to some better engine management.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: No midrange power under 5.5 psi of boost (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could be running to rich with the FMU...
Are you running any sort of boost retard? If your timing isn't retarding your car might feel sluggish going into boost. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No i'm not
Old 06-29-2005, 01:12 PM

Wouldn't that just be turbo lag?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: No midrange power under 5.5 psi of boost (NikoZai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NikoZai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wouldn't that just be turbo lag?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't turbo lag the delay between when you press the throttle and when the turbocharger starts producing boost pressure-got that from google.com

In my situation when i press the pettel down at say 3000 or 3500 rpms in say 3rd gear, I spool up to 5.5 psi... but i get no power, infact i bareley get going... alot less power than I had before I had the turbo on the car.

Any ideas?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm agreeing with wilcox.

get some better fuel management. i'm guessing the FMU isnt supplying the car with sufficient fuel to get more power in that range... actually most guys running boost swear AGAINST an FMU. dont even suggest it around the guys at homemadeturbo.com or you'll get shot... i'd invest in better management to see if that fixes it.

you never really answered (or i'm just dumb ). did you retard the timing at all? when you go boost you have to retard the timing a few degrees or it wont compensate for the extra induction and it'll actually eliminate power, atleast thats how it was explained to me on homemadeturbo.com when i was planning my turbo setup...
Old 06-29-2005, 08:32 PM

dunno, i think the fmu works great for me. it just seems ppl been on the band wagon talking a bunch of b.s. against fmu's. i ran it fine to 9 psi, w/ high flow fuel pump of course. yeah you have to make sure you retard the timing. get a a/f guage and an adjustable fpr w/ fuel gauge. and my crx doesnt really feel much power @ 5psi either, i had to turn it up to 7+ to feel a difference. and make sure you're not using a small exhaust.