Notices

main relay ALREADY SEARCHED PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default main relay ALREADY SEARCHED PLEASE HELP

i have read almost all of the main relay questions regarding main relays in ef chassis. i can't start my car when it gets hot. i thought i was out of gas originally but after two gallons my car still won;t start. then this morning i went out and my crx started right up. then after all day in the sun not start again. also no power to pump. the main relay passed the test in the haynes manual but i have heard there are multiple tests also. also the main relay click like it should when you turn the key. no other codes or problems. i forgot to add that the solder is still in tack on the relay. it is not cracked or anything
thanks for the advise

Old 06-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: main relay ALREADY SEARCHED PLEASE HELP (91d15bvtec)

It could still be your relay switch. I just replaced mine and noticed the old one would click when on position but not click when trying to turn.

The new one would click both times, on position and once it cranked. The part is about 20-40 dollars (sorry been buy parts left and right) from Oreilly so if it's not the switch just return it.

Mines been going out for the past three years and didn't know what it was. Mine would turn the car over then die, wait a few minutes and then everything was fine. Months would pass (5-6) and it would do it again. Just recently it started getting worse and finally it killed over.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: main relay ALREADY SEARCHED PLEASE HELP (91d15bvtec)

It certainly sounds like all the symptoms of a classic main relay gone bad. Is there anyone you know in your area who could let you borrow their relay to test your car? If so, pop that baby in there (leave the relay's black housing bolted in, pry the short sides out so the clips will release the inner electronic portion of the relay, and pull the guts of the relay out that way; it saves some time and skinned knuckles not having to monkey with pulling the whole housing out!) and see what your car does then - preferably in the afternoon, or after you've been using your car and it won't start with your existing relay. If it starts with a different relay, you know what you have to buy...

If not that, try checking for ECU codes and get back to us. Shouldn't be too hard to pin down and fix, though. I'm betting on the main relay still, regardless of how the solder looks.

Mike