Notices

Help with LOUD CLUNK noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help with LOUD CLUNK noise (zuum)

Securing screws? Those things don't do ****, the lugnuts hold the wheel against the rotor to keep it on, the screws have nothing to do with it. If those were loose he would have bigger problems.

Good call on the front suspension though, when I got my current CRX it was missing 2 of the 4 front crossmember bolts, and it did all kinds of weird **** before I realised what it was. I still think it's axles though, sounds just like inner axle problems.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about this in my sleep last night... might be a stupid suggestion BUT hey seems like you've tried nearly everything else. While the car is in the air take a deadblow hammer (rubber mallet with lead weights inside) and start smacking things... EVERTHING. also check your brake pads, maybe you are missing the the retaining clips??? try having someone press down on the brakes while the front end is in the air with the wheels ON and twist the wheels forward and backward and keep doing that as they let off the brakes.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what about any ball joints. like the lower ball joint, upper, tie rod ends, any of that business. my car clunks up front and thats one of the first things im replacing.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help with LOUD CLUNK noise (janz3n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by janz3n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe theres a dead cat lodged in the back of your engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, that happened to me at work while driving the street sweeper. The cat wanted to go someplace warm, so while the broom was off it climbed into the radiator/fan compartment. I found it at the end of the day or what was left of it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted timebomb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a video or sound clip would be helpful to determine the sound. but i was getting a loud clunking noise but it turned out to be my axles and you said you already replaced them so im stumped for now. G/L</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can do that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zuum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you checked that all bolts are tight? seems simple but... ??? you know. as in axle nuts. halfshaft bolts, plus all front suspension bolts. try jacking the car up and shaking everything... HARD! Try putting the car up in the air and jack up each wheel and then shaking stuff while under load. ie; at ride height. also check your rotors. make sure they got the securing screws in them to lock them to the hubs... that sounds like the likely culprit to me. there are 2 of them per front rotor. Check you shift linkage too. never know. I guess thats all I can think of for now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, thanks for all the help, I am grateful and hope to do the same for anyone who needs help to Q I am certain of the answer.
So, today I drove around to make the clunk (while braking on a recess) and then I did not accelerate hard to hear the thump again. (kinda loading and unloading the weight).
I raised the car on stands and started prying the motor and trans to hear where the sound was coming from, but, no good.
So, I removed the rear trans mount and inspected it for cracks, but it was fine. I also inspected the subframe for cracks but that was good also.
I inspected the bolts that thread into the transmission from the rear bracket and one seemed damaged. It seemed to be very long also, so I cut it down a bit and repaired the threads on the end and put it back together.

Downest, The axles could be defective b/c they were in fact rebuilt ones.
Tomorrow Ill see.
-Joe

Modified by 1991civicsi at 4:49 PM 5/11/2007
Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with LOUD CLUNK noise (1991civicsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pandarex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about any ball joints. like the lower ball joint, upper, tie rod ends, any of that business. my car clunks up front and thats one of the first things im replacing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol... maybe you should try reading his whole first post.

could it be something to do with the tranny? something inside maybe ?
defective axle is a possibility , iv had one before. but its defect was that it wouldnt go into the tranny.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zuum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> also check your rotors. make sure they got the securing screws in them to lock them to the hubs... that sounds like the likely culprit to me. there are 2 of them per front rotor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldnt think that would be the problem. i recently replaced my rotors and pads, didnt put those screws back in because they were messed up from getting them out. havent noticed any noise from them. plus the lug nuts woudl hold all that crap down tight enought to move at all.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with LOUD CLUNK noise (janz3n)

Still clunking. Gonna swap in some new (remanufactured) axles, then see whats up.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:38 AM

I found this link while looking for stuff NOT related to your issue... but if you scroll all the way to the bottom it sounds like he had a similar problem... read it to find out the cause. http://www.performanceforum.co....html
Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zuum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found this link while looking for stuff NOT related to your issue... but if you scroll all the way to the bottom it sounds like he had a similar problem... read it to find out the cause. http://www.performanceforum.co....html</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just heading to AutoZone when I read your response. After reading the closing comments I decided to look into it a little further, Ill keep you posted.
BTW good find!!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:21 PM

holy....hey that might help me also....il check my cross member tomorrow...damn i guess i rolled over one of the bolts once...
Old 05-22-2007, 08:02 PM

UPDATE?! Did it help bro?
Old 05-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so I took the advice of ZUUM and inspected the front crossmember (as per link attached). When Honda engineered the car the holes that go through the crossmember (and into the frame) are slightly larger than the bolts that pass through them. Honda provided metal washers that pick up the slack, but when I removed the crossmember they were rusted and I never replaced them.
So, I tightened the bolts using a H.D. impact gun and the noise seems to have stopped.
Im still waiting for the replacement washers from Honda to install them to see if the solution is complete. I can take pics when i install them.
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so it was the traction bar....hum
Old 05-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with LOUD CLUNK noise (abnaasefmb)

Yeah, after reading the link http://www.performanceforum.co....html
I see how to get rid of the problem.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 AM

RIGHT ON! Glad to here it. Sometimes you just find things by accident. I wasnt even thinking about your problem when I found that link, but when I saw it I remember this thread and figured wth. Just pass on the goodwill the next time you have an anwser for someone elses problem. Makes the whole world better and especially the scene.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help with LOUD CLUNK noise

Just wanted to bump this.

After years of driving with a popping noise upon accelerating or braking I've finally been able to fix it due to this thread. I changed ball joints, struts, springs, bushings. The funny thing is that i had initially suspected it was the cross member because i had it replaced because I damaged it when I hit a curb and the noise started shortly after. But when I check to see if the bolts were tight I used a standard 6 inch ratchet and it seemed plenty tight so I wrote it off. After reading this post and that link I took my 2ft breaker bar and tighten each bolt half a turn and voila! the noise was gone.

thanks!!