Notices

Full build and engine swap.. Help! Rookie!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 01:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full build and engine swap.. Help! Rookie!

Hi everyone.
I'm new and this is my first post so be kind haha.
​​​​​So I have decided to take on a project that I am now thinking is way above my knowledge of what I'm doing, but hopefully with a little (a hell of a lot) of help from you guys, I'm hoping to pull it off. I'm a hobbyist mechanic at best, but I have a qualified mechanic doing the work with me.

So...

I have bought a 91 EC 1.4 automatic Civic and I am looking to put the engine, box and ecu from my Del Sol SiR into it.
It's the b16a (170) with P30 ecu.
Now.. Hardware to physically put it in and make it mechanically work, I am OK with as most things are available off the shelf.. D to B mounts, new gear linkage, drive shafts etc.
​​​What I am struggling to find out is how difficult it is to put this ECU in and make it actually run? Is it a case of buying Obd0 to obd1 wiring converter and hey presto or???

I know I'm going to need to change the fuel system, as the EC is on carbs. Any tips on doing this as nicely and as neatly as I can without completely breaking the bank would be appreciated. I was thinking bulkhead mount surge tank and a decent pump.

I also want your advice on the rebuild of the B16, as at the same time, I want to add some power with cams and a new intake from skunk2. Should I just do the basics or would changing the valves and springs to uprated ones and putting stage 2/3 cams in, be a better way to do it?

I'm not chasing big power, I just want a completely overhauled car with nice parts and a rebuilt engine that's fresh. I have a budget of around 7-8k for everything, including a 2k paint job and all the bits like wheels, suspension etc.

All your help is greatly appreciated.
​​​
​​​​
Old 07-29-2020, 06:42 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: Full build and engine swap.. Help! Rookie!

If you're not going to be running boost, and assuming none of your valves are bent, I would recommend just taking the cylinder head to a shop and having a valve job done using the OEM valves. You can then upgrade the springs (if required) for the cam you decide to run, and also refresh the valve stem seals. You may be able to get away with just knurling the valve guides instead of installing new ones - this will save you some cash. I personally like to refresh the piston rings at the same time I do a valve job on an engine with lots of miles on it. That way you don't have a really fresh seal on the top end and a tired worn out seal on the bottom end. Buy all OEM gaskets and seals.
The following users liked this post: