Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Del Sol Si J35Y4 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Del Sol Si J35Y4 Swap

Hey guys, I just wanted to start this thread because I have yet to find anywhere that has a write up on how to do this swap. I'm going into this pretty blind but I want to keep updating this thread throughout the whole build.

If anyone has any guidance on this build feel free to post your knowledge. It is greatly appreciated.

So, here is where I am at currently.
(Keep in mind I work at a Honda dealership so I get a pretty impressive discount on parts.)
I bought this 1993 Del Sol Si (D16Z6) about 6 months ago. It was poorly taken care of but had a nice little body kit and I saw a lot of potential. The price tag was decent and caught me at the right time. After changing ALL of the fluids, turning the rotors, getting fresh pads, trashing the 10mm aftermarket plug wires and distributor cap and rotor to go back OEM, and getting 4 brand new tires. She was running quite impressively.

After all of that I decided I eventually wanted to either swap the engine or rebuild it with forged internals and TURBO. I soon realized I was losing power due to at least one fried piston ring. I figured I was just gonna drive it until the engine got bad enough that I would be forced to go ahead and do it. But like most things in life it didn't go as planned. I did in fact blow my engine, so badly so that I blew two holes in the bottom part of the block from piston 1's rod crumbling/exploding. That was when I officially decided to do an engine swap....as if I had a choice.

I had debated doing the B18C1(GSR) swap but I wanted something different, something better, something J. And as if it were meant to be, I chose the J swap and the next day I found out a friend of a friend had a J35. I wasn't sure which variation of the J35 it was, but for $700 for the engine and transmission that only had 3000 miles on it. I couldn't pass it up. I jumped on it in fact.

Imagine my excitement when I got it and it was the J35Y4 (2015 RLX). Could I be that lucky? I mean I honestly expected one from 250hp-270hp but to get the one with 310hp. The single highest hp engine that Honda makes(According to Wikipedia). I just about wet myself.

After much research I have realized that this is going to be a difficult build because the engine is so new. But RACECAR!!!

Things I know I need and know how to get:
Hasport Engine Mounts
06 TL Type S 6-Speed M Transmission
Custom CV Axles

I know I need much more but I haven't yet found them.

Does anyone know if I can use a Hondata ECU for this?

I will continue to post every time I do something involving this build with pictures...when I remember.

Tomorrow I am pulling the transmission on the J35 off to sell and I am pulling the D16 out of the Del Sol to part out to a friend and scrap what is a lost cause.
Attached Images   
Old 09-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: 93 Del Sol Si J35Y4 Swap

Shouldn't be any different than a civic

J32a.com - Index
Old 09-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Shouldn't be any different than a civic

J32a.com - Index
I'm just worried about it being so new and finding an ECU and Harness.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a v6 coil on plug, requiring ecu with 6 independent spark signals,
Variable cylinder managment, VTEC on both intake and exhaust shafts at diferent RPM,
You will need the matching ecu for that same engine,
It is far different than any B C K 4cyl civic, engine managment is far more advanced than the previous C and other J series.
The same Block is the base for race HR35TT engine.
Honda unveils new 3.5-liter racing engine - CB7Tuner Forums
working at the dealerschip should be helpfull so you know what boats you are sailing and sell.
This is the closest to your ECU flash system for external tuning.
KTuner Flash System 2013-2015 Accord V6
you can contact them and see if will work in your case, but again whatever setup your choose. you will need the matching harnes and ECU for the J34Y4.
my personal choice (based on 7 years at dealership) will be to go stock, and if not enough, chip a spare ECU unit.
That particular engine is far more priceless than any on the market, but you already should know that too. So take care of the babe and you will be rewarded.

Last edited by atanatas; 09-12-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by atanatas
It is a v6 coil on plug, requiring ecu with 6 independent spark signals,
Variable cylinder managment, VTEC on both intake and exhaust shafts at diferent RPM,
You will need the matching ecu for that same engine,
It is far different than any B C K 4cyl civic, engine managment is far more advanced than the previous C and other J series.
The same Block is the base for race HR35TT engine.
Honda unveils new 3.5-liter racing engine - CB7Tuner Forums
working at the dealerschip should be helpfull so you know what boats you are sailing and sell.
This is the closest to your ECU flash system for external tuning.
KTuner Flash System 2013-2015 Accord V6
you can contact them and see if will work in your case, but again whatever setup your choose. you will need the matching harnes and ECU for the J34Y4.
my personal choice (based on 7 years at dealership) will be to go stock, and if not enough, chip a spare ECU unit.
That particular engine is far more priceless than any on the market, but you already should know that too. So take care of the babe and you will be rewarded.
Thanks
I'll be looking into that.