Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol new engine advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol new engine advice

Ok so i bought a 95 del sol b16 1.6L dohc vtec no more then 2 months ago. this has got to be the 4th problem i have encountered, and the worst problem.

Im a big noob with cars so please make it simple for me to understand and my explanation would be lacking, just a heads up.

So my car has problems and it turns out i need a new block for my car. I didnt really understand what was wrong with it but basicly the mechanic who is my sister's boyfriend told me i need a new engine etc. one of the worst news ive heard.

so this means i need to decide on what engine i should get for my car and this is what i need help on.

I did a lot of research but i still need help deciding what to get.

Can someone please help me list my options preferebly my best options in numerical order if possible. Any help would be really apprecialted.

So my question is, which is my best option choices in picking out a engine and tranny, in regards of my criteria?

This is my criteria:
1. Needs to be fast like my b16 (preferably faster with more torque)
2. Cant be too expensive. (im not sure what my budget is yet but i prefere getting an engine that will be the best value. so base my budge on best value.

3. Good/great gas milage at least 25! the more then better! i want 30 with great power if possible! no less then 20, 24 is do able, 23 is borderline
4. i would like it faster then my b16. more acceleration etc.

5. vtec
6. Good handling or atleast not shitty handling.
7. not a big deal but i prefer it to be not too loud unless im really flooring it. my b16b was pretty loud. im not sure if it was originally that loud or if i had something special under the car. but it was loud in the front. i prefer something with noise but not too noisy since i will most likely put an exhaust in it so it can sound nice without extra noise fronm the engine. (i love the vtec sound def. and dont mind it)
6. Easy to swap in. im not doing the swap but i dont want to make it a hassle for the person doing it either since he is helping me out.

So far from my research i have found that most people will say b18c1 is a really good option. i used wikipedia to check the specs but like i said im a big noob with cars.

from what i believe my best options are is
1. b18c1 (gsr i think)
2. b18c5 (more expensive i heard, im not sure how much more)
3. b16?

If someone can please break it down for me on explaining why (engine 1) would be better then (engine 2) or why (engine 1) would be better then my (original b16)

This was my first del sol and i completely loved it. it was fast but wasnt crazy fast. it was fast enough to have enough fun in it. i loved the speed but i wish it was a little faster.

I dont plan on boosting it. Maybe in the way future but not plans anytime soon. I want something stock that has good kick to it, with few add ons here and there. thats about it.

Bullet points:
Need a new engine for my 95 del sol
Need to know my best options fitting my criteria
Pros vs Cons

Criteria:
speed
good value for its cost
good/great gas mileage 25+
vtec
good handing
not too loud
easy swap

need explanations (if possible) of why this engine would be better then that engine or better then my original engine i had.
If possible also, need to know what i should do when replacing my new engine. like certain things i should fix or replace that will cost me less in the future since the engine will be taken out which would be easier in the mean time. Also what i should also add on in the beginning since a new engine is being swaped in. like different Headers? (what kind?) differnt parts? what should i switch out or add on etc etc etc. any advice would be appreciated

any sites or best places to buy a new engine or parts would be greatly appreciated. any estimated prices i would be looking at buying a certain engine or parts would also be greatly appreciated. (ball park figure or comparasion prices would help ALOT! For example b18 is 3-6 hundred more dollars then a b16 etc.)

Plz feel free to comment or bump! i need all the help i can get!

Thanks

Last edited by ray559527; 06-25-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:13 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol new engine advice

Go here.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...Engines&hit=30
Pick the biggest B-series engine with the most power/torque that you can afford.
It's not rocket science or as difficult as you are making out.
Call them and explain your requirements. They will help you out.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Trial User

I don't mean to "spam" your post ray... but I'm new and can't start my own threads just yet...

I was wondering if anyone had some intel on how to fix the spring-loaded stereo cover... I had to remove the center console to fix my clutch cover, and upon reattaching everything, I've noticed that my stereo cover doesn't go up anymore... the springs are still there, but I have no idea how to get them to "lock in place".

Might be a silly problem, but it's been bothering me for about a week now. If anyone could let me know or direct me to a thread that discusses cosmetic fixes on del sols, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 03:47 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DeLaSeoul
I don't mean to "spam" your post ray... but I'm new and can't start my own threads just yet...

I was wondering if anyone had some intel on how to fix the spring-loaded stereo cover... I had to remove the center console to fix my clutch cover, and upon reattaching everything, I've noticed that my stereo cover doesn't go up anymore... the springs are still there, but I have no idea how to get them to "lock in place".

Might be a silly problem, but it's been bothering me for about a week now. If anyone could let me know or direct me to a thread that discusses cosmetic fixes on del sols, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don't mean to SPAM and you do it anyway? With an absolutely NON-RELATED topic no less.
Read this link and try to search next time.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-use-honda-tech-search-engine-2588951/
Old 06-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should let me have that b16 when you get your new swap.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Go here.
Pick the biggest B-series engine with the most power/torque that you can afford.
thanks for the site ill def check it out, i know im making it more complicated then it needs to be, but im just trying to get good advice on where to start with information of why this engine would be best fit for me. so as much as the site helps, it doesnt help me as much as i need it to. if im going to spend 1 to 3 grand on an engine i want to make sure i know that was my best option to begin with.

[/QUOTE] I don't mean to "spam" your post ray... but I'm new and can't start my own threads just yet...

Thanks [/QUOTE]

Its kool, best of luck to you

[/QUOTE]You should let me have that b16 when you get your new swap.[/QUOTE]

im out in california, i wouldnt mind selling the engine back out, but im a let my mechanic decide what to do with it first since he will most likely be helping me out and not charging me too much

how much is it worth? if i plan on selling it back out im a ask around and do some research b4 i sell it back out. then we can work out prices if its worth anything
Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ray559527
im out in california
That is hugely important information. I am not an expert on CA engine swap laws, but I do know swapping in CA can be quite a hassle. You really need to do your homework if you intend on swapping in a JDM engine from a place like Hmotorsonline (the link grumblemarc posted). Even if you want to swap in a USDM engine like the B18C1, there may be some issues to deal with to get it legal.

I would seriously look into this before going any further if I were you.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 AM
SJC
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Go here.
pretty much cut and dry. take out B16, install bigger B18. it all basically has to do with your budget and what you wanna spend.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just find a b18b1 block locally, and build an LS/VTEC. You already have most of the parts to do it. It is by FAR the cheapest route for you to take, if you want to make more power. Or find a cheap b16 block to replace it with, and put a set of pistons, cams, valvetrain in it.

Basically you have all the options in the world. Any b18 (a,b,c), b16 (a,b), or b20 is compatable with your b16 head. look for deals.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, good luck getting an LS/VTEC or a B20/VTEC legal in CA.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec
That is hugely important information. I am not an expert on CA engine swap laws, but I do know swapping in CA can be quite a hassle. You really need to do your homework if you intend on swapping in a JDM engine from a place like Hmotorsonline (the link grumblemarc posted). Even if you want to swap in a USDM engine like the B18C1, there may be some issues to deal with to get it legal.

I would seriously look into this before going any further if I were you.

crap, i just moved here like 10 months ago, i was watching some youtube vidoes of del sols and i saw a guy comment about laws restricting swaps of certain kinds. i completely forgot that, that might be a possibility, since i remember when i was searching for a car my family told me to make sure the engine is legal in the car.

i havent talked it over with my mechanic, but im going to do so, to see what my best option is and if i can even do a swap.

thanks for the heads up
Old 06-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fallrivercolin
Just find a b18b1 block locally, and build an LS/VTEC. You already have most of the parts to do it. It is by FAR the cheapest route for you to take, if you want to make more power. Or find a cheap b16 block to replace it with, and put a set of pistons, cams, valvetrain in it.

Basically you have all the options in the world. Any b18 (a,b,c), b16 (a,b), or b20 is compatable with your b16 head. look for deals.
ill keep this in mind thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so if u want ur motor to be legal either get a b16 and swapped everything from the old motor to ur new b16.. now here the complicated part.. if u want gsr to be legal in ur car.. u need to get a newer year engine than ur car for example: 94 del so + 95 gsr is ok, 94 del so + 93 gsr is no no....this is call bar reffing ur new motor... any motor newer than ur car year that is not a b16, u must bar that motor to be legal
Old 06-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ricky00
ok so if u want ur motor to be legal either get a b16 and swapped everything from the old motor to ur new b16.. now here the complicated part.. if u want gsr to be legal in ur car.. u need to get a newer year engine than ur car for example: 94 del so + 95 gsr is ok, 94 del so + 93 gsr is no no....this is call bar reffing ur new motor... any motor newer than ur car year that is not a b16, u must bar that motor to be legal
ok thanks that helped a lot, i did some research and found this on ehow

Engine Changes

An engine change involves swapping a car engine with another that is not identical, under California law. The state insists that the newly-installed block must be the same age or newer than the one coming out of the car. It must be from the same type of vehicle, such as a passenger car or light duty truck. If the car is California-certified then the engine going in to the car must also be California-certified. Car owners must make sure an engine change does not increase pollution levels, according to California's Air Resources Board. Car owners must submit their car for inspection after an engine change takes place. This is carried out at a state referee station where the vehicle is subject to an emissions test and checked to see that all required equipment is where it should be under California law.

i believe the guy who is gong to fix my car is going to know this stuff, since i know he did a swap b4. so i will talk everything over with him. thanks for the input
Old 06-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Move out of California. It will be a pain getting it legal and I know a B20 isn't allowed since it's a "small truck" engine. An LS/VTEC is not allowed because no car ever came with one.

I believe that an H22 is legal, since it's another car engine, but I'm not sure.

The laws seem to change weekly, so definitely talk to someone who BARs engines to see what is allowed and see if they know if there will be any changes.

Before getting anything BAR'ed, make sure you have ALL emissions equipment intact. Charcoal canister, evap purge solenoid, that box on the back of the motor, catalytic converter, make sure the CEL flashes on when you turn the key on, and then turns back off. A full tune up and making sure the ignition timing is correct is important.