Notices

EF-7 SI DOHC ZC TRANS SWAP AXLE SHAFT INTERCHANGEABILITY ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EF-7 SI DOHC ZC TRANS SWAP AXLE SHAFT INTERCHANGEABILITY ISSUES

Hi all, its been a while since I've been on the forums, I've recently re-entered the once loved Honda world that I left so long ago. I had the pleasure of owning two EF8 Sir's (hence my username), this time around I have a 1988 CRX SI EF7 **JDM RHD**

So.. heres the probiem...

Originally, the car would not shift effectively, took a violent throw of the shifter to do anything along with no signs of clutch engagement (the cable thread sleeve was the fault to this), disconnected the linkage, stuck a punch in the selector output shaft and went hail mary on that bitch, first diagnosis... internal fault, shift fork is f*cked.. whatever it is I don't want to get ***** deep in the jdm transmission... let alone any other usdm cdm trans. So... the transmission is an L3 (88').
I picked up another ZC engine and L3 transmission to do a potential swap, so removed the engine and trans, started to swap parts over (the new engine didn't have all accessories), first things first.. the crank pulley wouldn't fit on the new ZC, (too small), so, I decided to just swap the
transmission over.. the engine ran fine however the new engine had adjustable cam gears and aftermarket cams.. go to swap over the transmission and the clutch splines do not match up! so I swap over the new engines pressure plate and clutch to the old one. Now.. I gave her some love.. did the rear main and oil pan, cleaned some things with my tongue.. witch I now later regret...
Now.. I'm stuck with the original ZC larger equal length drive shafts (axles), however the new transmission side gears are too small for the larger axles, yes ive physically tested them, no go.So heres where I'm unclear! obviously this new transmission is a different kind of L3, I know that the original transmission is a jdm 88 L3 because it has no *grooves* on the input shaft where it meets the clutch. But the new one is unfortunately installed on engine in car and I didn't check prior.. so the new one is either a usdm L3 trans or is an 89 or a 90-91 zc trans and does not fit.
How do I solve my problem? I know that my front hub splines are for the larger size axles so if I get smaller drive shafts of the same design to fit the transmission they will most likely be smaller on the outer splines and not fit properly in the hubs.
The new transmission came out of an EF civic hatchback.
Would it be possible to swap out the inner axle cv tripod joints and solve my problem? that being said I would have to find another intermediate shaft that would fit on both ends.
I have a spline count on the left side (intermediate shaft) of 26, I talked to the local parts guy and had a listing for 23 or 26 from a 89 integra.. so am I just looking for a 23 count? will it fit my hubs? I'm going to buy one and test fit it..
I have done my research, sifting through corrections and poor forum behavior etc.. bottom line here is that I want to get the right axles that will fit this l3 transmission and my original hubs. I do not have to keep the intermediate shaft I just wanna get this thing running so I can pretend to hit vtec and bring back some good memories.
New trans TAG:L3-2542332
Old trans TAG:L3-1028751
Neither have limited slip.

Thank you for reading through, appreciate any feedback that will help with the repair.. ill repay you with a brake stand video.. hopefully I don't snap an axle.. ha ha
Old 09-21-2016, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: EF-7 SI DOHC ZC TRANS SWAP AXLE SHAFT INTERCHANGEABILITY ISSUES

sounds to me like you have a regular old USDM L3 transmission, not a ZC - all USDM L3 transmissions (88-91) have 25 splines in the side gears where the axle goes in - all JDM ZC L3 transmissions (88-91) have 27 splines at that location - there are no D-series intermediate shafts with 25 splines on the transmission end - ZC intermediate shafts have 27 splines at both ends - all 88-91 Civic/CRX models, except for the CRX HF and Civic STD (4 speed), use hubs with 26 splines where the axle goes in - the CRX HF and Civic STD have hubs with 23 splines - All 86-89 Integras also have 27 spline differentials and 26 spline hubs - about your only option is to get the unequal length axles that match your car model
Old 09-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EF-7 SI DOHC ZC TRANS SWAP AXLE SHAFT INTERCHANGEABILITY ISSUES

Well luckily I picked up an axle for a ef usdm crx and voila it fits. Guess I have the usdm L3 trans. Its unfortunate that I have to spend the money along with give up the beefier axles with a intermediate shaft. Oh well..Ill keep the setup for a potential re-build and LSD install.
Thanks!