Clutch Install- Car Shakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Install- Car Shakes

I just installed a new clutch set, TB pilot bearing clutch disk and pressure plate. I just took it for a test spin. If you dont come out of 1st just perfect the car will buck and shake a little, but then when you shift to second, unless you shift EXTREMELY slow and slowly feather the throttle as you come into gear, coming into second shakes the car like and EARTHQUAKE. If you stay on the throttle it will shake worse and worse and worse. It will only smooth out of you let off the throttle for a second, then come back in ever so gently. I think I may know the cause, the worn out flywheel that wasnt machined. I am going to be pulling the trans this weekend again to fix the stripped mount holes once my heli coil kit comes from UPS. Do you all think its most likely the flywheel? There was a lot of heat marks and discoloration. I will buy a new flywheel if I have to, but do you all think the little bit of test driving I did (maybe 30 mins of driving around town feeling the clutch, never took it past 3-3.5k in revs maybe 10 miles of driving at most) messed up the new clutch bad enough that I should also get a new clutch disk? Opinons greatly appreciated thanks guys
Old 06-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Install- Car Shakes

I wanted to add it really only does it in 2nd gear. And it when happens the revs just "bounce" and the shaking gets worse. I know this isnt a good way to describe it but going down the road it would sound like "vroom vrooom vroom vroom vroom" as in like the revs just "bounce" sorry trying to explain it best I can
Old 06-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have an idea? Trying to figure out what it could be so I have everything I need to fix it when I pull the trans again this weekend. Any suggestions?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have the flywheel turned down, did you torque everything correctly? Also, is the disc facing the right direction? Ive seen some that say to flywheel (rare). I would definitly repair the trans bolt holes asap.... If they move and the trans starts shifting it could mess some things up.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's normal to have clutch chatter with a new clutch install for the first few thousand miles. Combine that with a flywheel that you admitted to not getting resurfaced and you've got a recipe for terrible clutch chatter.

If you ride the clutch you can usually "hide" the clutch chatter. Have you tried doing this? Keep in mind though riding the clutch is part of what causes burned in spots on the flywheel anyway, so it's kind of a catch 22.

I bet it really only does it going into 2nd gear because that's when people are sloppiest/inattentive on the clutch footwork. Try shifting into 2nd riding the clutch quite a bit just to see if it helps.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91EFH22
Have the flywheel turned down, did you torque everything correctly? Also, is the disc facing the right direction? Ive seen some that say to flywheel (rare). I would definitly repair the trans bolt holes asap.... If they move and the trans starts shifting it could mess some things up.
I work in a shop and I can order parts commercially very cheap so I am just going to order a new flywheel. I didn't use a torque wrench the flywheel i ran down snug with a 3/8 impact and the pressure plate tight with a 3/8 ratchet by hand. Could that really be the factor? I know the disc is facing the right way, this isnt the first clutch I did just the first clutch I did with this result. The flywheel was very spotty and discolored. Hoping thats it cause this thing REALLY bucks around! Only in 2nd gear though, isnt that wierd? Do you think my clutch disk will be ok from the little bit of driving its had on it while It was chattering like that? When i pull things back apart ill take a look and torque things to spec, what is the spec for the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts? Any more input from what I said? And I have a heli coil kit coming this week, car will not be driven any more until then, next weekend Im going to pull the trans install the flywheel torque things down and repair the threads. Any further input?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No need to buy a new flywheel unless you want to spend more money. Never use a impact to tighten down flywheel or PP bolts. I believe the flywheel is some where around 75ft lbs and the PP to FW is 25-30lbs. MAKE SURE TO USE LOCKTITE ON THE FLYWHEEL BOLTS! A buddy of mine put his in without it and guesss what, two bolts backed out causing the same issue as you.
Im not a fan of the Heli-coil kit being used on the soft metal of the block but it might hold up fine. Good luck...
Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ordered the new flywheel today, $40, and James yes I tried today riding the clutch out and being a little more careful completely stops the bucking I had my brother drive it who is a very very experience 5 spd driver and he can shift the car flawlessly. Will riding out the clutch like that while it wears it burn it up bad? And to 91EFH22, how would you propose I fix the broken mounts?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Id weld the holes then drill and retap them but thats probably overkill...