Notices

91 Civic Type R. Trying to get a feeler of what shes worth.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Civic Type R. Trying to get a feeler of what shes worth.

I have had this car for about 15 years now. I love this car, but my life has taken me in a different direction than I anticipated and can no longer keep building this the way I had originally intended to. I am still on the fence on whether I should prolong the inevitable and keep this a bit longer or just bite the bullet and sell it. Any comments are appreciated and mods, If this is in the wrong place, then please move it.

The story: I purchased this car back in 2003 from the second owner. I used it as a daily driver through out college until the motor finally died on me at about 300k miles. When that happened, I ended up getting another car to daily and the EF hatch went to a shop for some "modifications and tuning." All the work was professionally done at performance shops familiar with working on Hondas. For the last 5-6 years, It has been sitting in the garage collecting dust. It sees pavement about once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks. Between Family and work, I never really have time to take it out or put more money into it. I would love to keep it and keep sinking money into it, but I feel as though I have hit a wall with my desire to keep fixing it up.

The Pros: The car runs perfectly fine. I have changed the oil every 4 months as I never reach the 2,000 mile mark before then. I usually get under 1,000 miles on an oil change. OEM blue Interior is completely stock except for NRG steering wheel w/ quick release hub, heavier shift ****, radio and tachometer from 96 spec JDM ITR (to match the motor). Engine is healthy and strong with low miles (about 60-70k Kilometers or 40-45k miles). Car is very lightweight, 2250 lbs. There is NO rough or fluctuating idle. The car is reliable enough to be used as a daily driver or it can be built further for use as a dedicated track car.

The Cons: The body. Its an old car and there are dings and dents throughout. I wanted to fix the body work and paint the original blue color, but no money and no time are a big factor now. The interior headliner has some scratches from previous owner, so although it's in good condition, It's not perfect. Also, about 10+ years ago, It was repainted to a dark gray color. That same evening it came out of the paint booth, someone keyed the car. The key mark was never fixed as all my money and attention went into the motor and suspension rather than the looks. The car does not have power steering or AC. It was originally built with AutoX in mind and didn't have these installed when i did the swap. As for the AC, I have all of the parts necessary to install it and I would include it with the car (Hasport bracket, OEM compressor, OEM A/C lines).

Mods:
Motor:
JDM B18C ('96 spec Type R) w/ Hasport Mounts
Port & polished head with 3 angle valve job (performed by local automotive machinist specializing in automotive performance)
Custom CAI, Mugen headers & Invidia Full cat back exhaust
Golden Eagle adjustable cam gears
P28 ECU w/ Hondata Chip
PWJDM cam plug seals
Mishimoto 1/2 stack radiator
Fidanza Flywheel w/ ACT stage 2 clutch

Suspension & Brakes:
TEIN Super Street (adjustable height & damper)
Full DA Integra Brake upgrade (includes rear disc brake conversion)- rotors, calipers & brake lines
Front & Rear Lower Control Arms
Front & Rear Camber Kit
Inner & Outer Tie Rod Ends
Traction bar kit
Polyurethane bushings all around

Interior/Exterior:
Navy Blue Interior
15" Rota Slipstream wrapped in Kumho Ecsta AST 195/50/15
NRG hub & quick release
NRG ltd. ed. deep dish steering wheel (350 mm 3" dish w/ working horn)
Cluster from '96 JDM ITR (to match motor)
Skunk 2 Short Shifter w/ Skunk 2 shift ****
"EF" Floor Mats
Optima Yellow top Battery Relocated to trunk
PWJDM battery tie down
replaced rear hatch shocks
new OEM fuel tank

Those are all the mods I can think of off the top of my head. This is my first time selling a project like this so any comments, tips and advice are welcome. I'm trying to figure out how much something like this is worth. I have easily put over $18k in parts and labor into this car. I know I wont get anything like that back from it, but I'd at least like to know what I Can get out of it. I have a small imgur album, but I can post any more pictures upon request. Thanks to all in advance.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/Xje24FE

Last edited by 91CTR; 08-13-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 91 Civic Type R. Trying to get a feeler of what shes worth.

I thinnk like 350.00
Old 07-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my 91 Civic for $3,800.
B20B with YS1 trans. with carbon syncros and LSD. HKS full exhaust
Koni yellows and ground control sleeves
Traction bar
The interior was almost fully redone so in very very nice condition. Sounds like the body is very similar to yours. Lot of dings and needs paint but no rust.
Si gauge cluster with similar quick release wheel like yours.
Two sets of integra wheels with good tires.
I think you could expect a good $2.5k premium on the ITR compared to my B20.
The suspension and other pieces might get you another $1k .
With the right buyer maybe around $8k. But I think they would have to really want it bad. I feel like $8k is a lot of cash for most people to come up with, especially for this type of car.
If you spent $18k over 15 years and end up getting $9k that's actually only about $667 a year in full over 15 years so not too bad really.

Last edited by Siouxbie; 07-27-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:02 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

$4-5k tops.

I paid 5 for my crx that had pretty much everything yours does, plus turbo and a little better condition. And I overpaid.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:24 PM
CD8
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont take under 5k. The swaps are still in the 4k range alone
Old 07-26-2018, 06:28 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Do you have any chassis bracing?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The way to make the most money is to sell the motor separate, then swap in a stock D and sell the car for 1,500 to 2k.

Thats what I would do.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Do you have any chassis bracing?
No chassis bracing, I wanted to leave the interior as stock as possible.

Originally Posted by LankorDie
The way to make the most money is to sell the motor separate, then swap in a stock D and sell the car for 1,500 to 2k.

Thats what I would do.
I've definitely considered this. Parting out will probably get me an extra couple thousand. My main reason for wanting to sell whole is that it's a lot easier. Time and money are tight because the family is growing. I'm not sure i'd be able to source a D15 and swap it out in a reasonable time frame, and paying someone else to do it would defeat the purpose.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A similar car to your was for sale recently local to me. Has everything you have + more and perfect body with no rust. Was sold in about 2 weeks for around 7.8k Canadian which is around 6.5k USD

Just to give you an idea. Unfortunately body is more important that the engine as this point. Its very hard to find an ef with clean rust free straight frame anymore.

Best bet is the part the entire car out
Old 07-27-2018, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 91CTR
Also, about 10+ years ago, It was repainted to a dark gray color. That same evening it came out of the paint booth, someone keyed the car.
I know this happened a long time ago, but you still have my sympathies there. I had the same thing happen to me with my old S2K. I was absolutely livid.

I can't tell everything from the photos, but assuming the camber/LCAs are good name brand pieces like everything else, I think you should have no problem getting at minimum $5K for this. I'd list it maybe closer to $6K and just see what offers you get, but personally I wouldn't sell this for less than $5000.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nyfries
Just to give you an idea. Unfortunately body is more important that the engine as this point. Its very hard to find an ef with clean rust free straight frame anymore.
Fortunately, the frame is straight on this one with no rust. It's been in no accidents since I've owned it and it's been garage kept the entire time as well.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what its worth and what you can and WILL get for it are two different things unfortunately. unless you're willing to hold on to it and wait for the "right" buyer who knows what it's worth and is willing to pay somewhat NEAR what you'd expect to get for it...
Old 08-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you people are paying crazy prices for these older cars.... and if you're paying 4k for a type r engine, you're flat fuckn retarded. LSVTEC setups can be built for 1500 or less if you know what you're doing and sourcing quality parts correctly, giving you the same reliability and more torque. The car in ? by OP, is a 2500 dollar car to the right buyer all day.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by KDerekT83
you people are paying crazy prices for these older cars.... and if you're paying 4k for a type r engine, you're flat fuckn retarded. LSVTEC setups can be built for 1500 or less if you know what you're doing and sourcing quality parts correctly, giving you the same reliability and more torque. The car in ? by OP, is a 2500 dollar car to the right buyer all day.
You have no concept of what the value is of a 30 year old niche car sold that's in good condition in either stock form or tasteful mods. And yes you can build an engine, but that takes time, effort, and knowledge. There's certain benefits to buying a complete engine that's proven to work.

Go look on Craigslist or the Sale forum in here. Clean EF, EG, and EK's are easily going for anywhere from 7K->15K now, depending on what they have and their condition.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by acmoc
I thinnk like 350.00
I 2nd. It is a Civic after all and not a CRX.