Notices

90 CRX si NO START, main relay/bad ecu symptoms but maybe not....need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 CRX si NO START, main relay/bad ecu symptoms but maybe not....need help!

I have a 1990 CRX SI, electrical components and mechanical components are OEM/stock aside from eclipse head unit. Within the past month my car has had the classic bad main relay symptoms, that is after driving it for a while and shutting it off it would not start when I would get back in it to leave. Normally after letting it sit for a few minutes it would start right up, sometimes though it would start and jump to about 1-2k rpm's then it would just die - when this would happen I would have to wait again for a while to start it. Finally after searching online I discovered this main relay issue and so I resoldered all the connections on my relay. This seemed to have solved the problem for a few days until just a couple days ago. Drove the car and it sat for a few hours, go back to start it and it had the main relay symptoms again, except this time the CEL was on and would not go off when the key was left to the on position. I thought ok well maybe my relay was completely f@cked up so I pulled an identical one from a older prelude and it did the same thing, relay would not click and fuel pump couldnt be heard, CEL stuck on, all other electrical components work (radio, lights, signals, heater, etc), when attempting to start the engine will turn over. I went ahead and bought a brand new relay just to make sure I didn't have 2 bad ones (I had no other car to try the ones I have in). Still same symptoms, so I start checking all the grounds - we pulled them off and sanded the terminals/contact points down, still same thing. Checked all fuses, they are good, moved on to the ECU, bought a supposedly virgin working PM6 from a guy and it still does the same thing. Also, neither ECU will flash any codes (led burnt out??) even with the CEL stuck on. The distributor, cap, rotor are only a few months old, even still a bad dizzy shouldn't cause the main relay to not actuate correct?? Plugs are only about a week old. Ignition switch is getting power and appears to be working correctly. I dont know where else to look or is it possible that I have 2 bad ECU's???? If anyone has any ideas please help.

LIST OF SYMPTOMS:
-no start
-will crank when trying to start
-no spark
-main relay will not click (tried 3 main relays)
-CEL stuck on
-ECU will not flash any codes (tried 2 ECU's but not sure if they are good)
-when jumping the correct pins on the main relay harness I can hear the fuel pump kick on, however, when keeping these jumped and cranking the engine the car still will not start.
-all electrical components work
-battery is fine
-fuses are all good

Also, would it be possible to run a p28 (using a harness) with the stock d16a6 engine because I have access to plenty of known working p28's.

Any help is appreciated, i've done plenty of searching and can't really find anything like this...
Old 07-24-2006, 08:52 PM

Default Re: 90 CRX si NO START, main relay/bad ecu symptoms but maybe not....need help! (1slowSIrex)

ttt for help
Old 07-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 CRX si NO START, main relay/bad ecu symptoms but maybe not....need help! (1slowSIrex)

make sure the ground on the tranny is good and tight.and try moving the ground from the valve cover to the block.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 CRX si NO START, main relay/bad ecu symptoms but maybe not....need help! (ef_88_hatch)

Even if the dizzy is new it could still be bad...especially if its one of those Autozone ones.