Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Lifespan of CRV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifespan of CRV?

I am considering purchasing an older Honda CRV (as old as 2000 to 2005). I keep hearing that CRVs, if maintained properly (key), can go up to 400K miles, but certainly 250-300K. If I find a 2000-2005 with, say, 150-180K, assuming it's been well maintained, can I expect to get a lot more good years out of it without going broke with the upkeep?

I only put ~10K miles a year on a car. I know one can never know for sure how well a given vehicle has been cared for, but any vehicle I was serious about I'd have professionally inspected by a certified Honda mechanic prior to purchasing.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject. Thanks!

Peter
Old 07-24-2018, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Lifespan of CRV?

The years you've listed above (2000-2005) span 2 generations of vehicle. Gen 1 ended in 2001, gen 2 ran from 2002-2006. The two generations are very different, including different engines, transmissions, maintenance requirements, and a whole host of other things. If you do the wrench-work yourself you should be able to keep both generations running relatively cheaply. I own (and personally prefer) the first generation vehicles. They're less powerful and less refined, but they're built on 90's tech, parts are pretty cheap, manual models are more available, and they use the magnificent double-wishbone suspension geometry. The 2nd gen ones are more powerful and over-all larger vehicles that are probably nicer to drive. Parts will likely be a bit more, picking one up in the ~180k mile range may mean you have an impending timing chain replacement on your hands (as people put it off as long as possible since it's not a belt), but they'll be a lot easier to find than a Gen 1 simply because they're more recent. Either way, if you find a well cared-for example I don't think you can go wrong. Do your research on the weak points of both vehicles so you know what to expect.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:24 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I drove a 2003 for many years. Great, great vehicle overall. I would buy another if they could be found with low miles.

Problem is, you never know what kind of issues might come up with a car that old, or with that many miles that you will need to take care of. At that age any car will begin having suspension replacements, wheel bearings, tie rods, axles, rusty brake lines.... the list goes on and on and it can become expensive. Even cars that have been well-maintained are usually worked on using cheap chinese replacement parts, not oem quality and they will not last. So you will always have some work to do.

I ended up trading in my 2003 because previous owner never changed the rear diff fluid. Even though I had done it, it was too late and it was starting to fail. It also had issues with regulating voltage, and would blow bulbs constantly.

I find this site helpful when weighing options on used cars...

https://www.carcomplaints.com/
Old 07-24-2018, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks very much, ThisIsMatt and 2X0, Sincerely appreciate your insights and realism! No, I'm not a DIY-er, so I'll have to be extra careful about any purchase I make... But thank you TIM, for the education on the two generations of CRV's. I just find I like the looks of the older models, and if I can find one with low miles, all the better. There's one in Atlanta for sale right now - a 2003 with 58K miles!! He's asking $7K. And a '98 with 73K went for $3600 a few weeks ago. Thanks again! PB
Old 07-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2001 EX and it has been a great car, bought it with the Honda Care warranty back in the day and it paid off. Car started to shake a lot, after a few trips to the dealer they replaced the complete head and the problem was solved. That was about 9 years ago and the car still runs like a champ to this day. =D
Old 07-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks El Vap, Great to hear!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, I have the one with "intelligent" AWD, used it in the snow twice and it did good! I heard that the older ones have valve issues, but then again the head was replaced on mine. I still see a lot on the roads here in Los Angeles.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

All first and second gen CR-Vs have the same "Real-Time AWD" system. The second gen vehicles have a slightly different rear differential that will engage the AWD more quickly.

The valve issues you're referring to has to do with the recommended service interval in the first gen cars, not the valves themselves. The maintenance schedule in the owner's manual for the first gen vehicles was incorrectly stated. The interval was too long and this led to burned exhaust valves in many cars. If the valves are adjusted with the correct frequency (I do mine every 45k miles), you'll have the same chance for valve issues as in any other vehicle.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Watch out for rust, especially around the rear suspension. If you have to do work back there like bushings or bearings and the bolts don't come free it can be a nightmare.

For the Engine - Worst case you get a check engine light relating to cam timing and you have to change the timing chain/guides/sprocket... It all depends on their oil change history and if they ever ran it low, I've seen k24 with lots on miles on original chain and also see with 50k miles and bad oil change history that ran low that need more than a chain.

I had a customer with a 2nd gen and the pdl actuators failed one by one, then the window regulators died, first her drivers door, then when the RF window motor died she said fix it all. She should have walked away, for so many parts on this car you want that fail you want to replace them with OE honda parts. Jobber window motors are often loud and do not last.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again, ThisIsMatt, and thanks Gizz for your input. Good info - gives me some insight in what to look for/ask. I appreciate it! PB