Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2.4L Element external tranny filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4L Element external tranny filter

Norman New guy......just bought '09 Element and joined forum. Going to change fluids. Got the correct OEM fluids for tranny and 4wd rear axle. Noticed an inline, external tranny filter. Seems to be a common item as the parts list says it fits several hundred Hondas.

Where is it located and is there any oddity about slipping in a new one and draining the tranny fluid and refilling as one would do with engine oil? Is finding the tranny fill port as easy as finding the drain port?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2.4L Element external tranny filter

Looked high and low and may have spotted something. If you stand in front facing the center of the vehicle and look down at the engine and then move your eyes toward the firewall and 4-5 inches past the engine and a couple of inches to the right is a reinforced rubber tube, like normally used for fuel lines, guessing 5/16" ID which has been cut and a black object which looks similar to the filters I've seen on the net, about the diameter of a silver dollar and body about inch and a half to 2 inches. The hose emanating from the right side quickly attaches to a steel formed tube that goes down between the engine and tranny and I can't see where it ultimately goes.......yet.

This might be the smoking gun. Ideas?????
Old 02-18-2019, 08:21 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The trans filter for the element is located behind the front bumper beam close to the oil pan and radiator drain.

Last edited by BryanM.; 02-18-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM
Resident Gearhead

https://www.elementownersclub.com/fo...ad.php?t=51749
Old 02-18-2019, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright Sir. Thank you. I just bought this beauty and the seller said that the PO to him had done all the fluids at about 90k and he had taken care of engine oil since with it being at 50% when I purchased it and the oil color verifying such. Everything I have looked at, and the Carfaxx sheet he supplied to me shows this darlin to have been serviced properly. However I have the filter, the oil and if I do it I'll know for sure. Thanks again for your trouble.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:28 AM
Resident Gearhead

According to Honda, that filter is there only to catch debris during break in, and is not meant to be replaced afterwards. If it plugs up with debris, there is a check valve that bypasses the filter media.

For my '07 Civic, I replaced that filter with a 3/8 Magnefine filter. I plan to do the same for my '11 CR-V in the spring. You seem to be all about longevity so I recommend you check out Magnefine. You can buy the genuine Aussie made units on Amazon.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BryanM.
According to Honda, that filter is there only to catch debris during break in, and is not meant to be replaced afterwards. If it plugs up with debris, there is a check valve that bypasses the filter media.

For my '07 Civic, I replaced that filter with a 3/8 Magnefine filter. I plan to do the same for my '11 CR-V in the spring. You seem to be all about longevity so I recommend you check out Magnefine. You can buy the genuine Aussie made units on Amazon.
Thanks again sir.

My manuals arrived yesterday. Really as fine a set of documentation my eyes have ever glazed regardless of the subject matter. Much respect for Mr. Honda and his company! To answer you curiosity, It's at 100k mi. and usually that is a trigger for certain service functions. Some I can verify have been performed. Others I will just do. I don't drive very much and am a 14 year retired guy. This car will probably ride me to my death and won't make another 100k....so this is it on the tranny, diff.

While you're here. I just got my insurance statement and in comparing the Element with identical coverage to my 2011 Silverado LS, not LT, 2wd, crew cab, driven about 5k mi/yr., no wrecks, no tickets, it runs me $98/6 mo. with State Farm and after much haggling this one still costs me over a hundred.....we started out at $150. Possibly the type of vehicle, and being 4wd (my first) it suggests spirited, adventure seeking drivers, time spent in the wilderness in adverse weather, urbanite, all possibilities to drive the price up......any excuse.........but with the fire and flood losses lately, can't say that I blame them.