Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranny has foreign materials in it...... how to clear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny has foreign materials in it...... how to clear?

i recently received a new tranny in the mail... it was packaged with those little foamy things that get everywhere.... a few pieces of that foam garbage got into the tranny where the speed sensor is supposed to go..... anyone have any idea how to get them out without opening the tranny? or should i just run the tranny for a while. let them grind up, and then change the fluid in a week? i also thought i should try a vacuum to suck them out, but i'm not sure how i'd know when all the pieces are out. any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:58 PM
crazy eyez killa

Default Re: tranny has foreign materials in it...... how to clear? (Team 4R)

hmm maybe hold it kinda upsode down and spray water in it?

Old 08-18-2004, 09:23 PM

Default Re: tranny has foreign materials in it...... how to clear? (Team 4R)

a high power vacuum cleaner??. Either way, i dont think foam would hurt the tranny that much. do what you say, put engine oil, and then drain it and refill if you cant get it out.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny has foreign materials in it...... how to clear? (mingbling)

i would let it run for a day or 2... until all of that is in little pieces, and change the fluids... flush it out real well.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny has foreign materials in it...... how to clear? (jdmEL)

i dont think they will hurt the tranny what so ever, just change the oil after a few days and i bet you will see little tiny tiny pieces of styrofoam in it.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Re: tranny has foreign materials in it...... how to clear? (YOUR MAMA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YOUR MAMA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm maybe hold it kinda upsode down and spray water in it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohh Hell no! dont spray water in it, Come on Water and oil? last time i check they dont mix. I would get some tubing and hook it up to your ordinary house vac, giving you a Macgyver'd mini vac with super suction and suck all that crap out of there. I wouldent let any sit in there, i doubt it would mess up the gearing but there are some narrow passageways for oil to travel in there and if those get clogged you run the risk of overheating your tanny and seriously f%^ing it up, You could allways try compressed air. Open up one of the drain or fill ports and shot air in there and hold your hand over the Vss opening so you kinda build up some pressure and quickly take our hand off to give them a kick in the right direction. outta your tranny! Good luck on that. Shouldent cause a seriouse proplem unless it plugs up an oil channel. ie the oil guide pan in the tranny comes to mind......
Old 08-18-2004, 10:38 PM
crazy eyez killa

Default Re: tranny has foreign materials in it...... how to clear? (nocternaldragon)

When I blew up my current tranny, I opened it, replaced the blown differential, rinsed it out with water to get all the tiny metal shards out, and it has been running strong ever since... as long as you let the water back out, u will be fine, it's not like theres any oil in the tranny that he just got in the mail.....

Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny has foreign materials in it...... how to clear? (nocternaldragon)

okay, so now im worried about oil passages getting blocked... i know these little styrofoam things stick really well, so i will do my best to clean them out before mounting the tranny to the car. thanks for all the inputs.