Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Yet another engine question??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another engine question??

I found a pretty good deal on a 99 B18C1 with 66,000 miles that I am going to be purchasing tomorrow or Tuesday. I have just enough to get the engine so it is going to be sitting in my garage for a few months before it is going to be put in. My question is will the engine get messed up just sitting there a few months?
Old 06-26-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Yet another engine question?? (dawrenn)

how? just make sure u change the oil when u put it in

btw whered u get it from?
Old 06-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just make sure all holes are covered and maybe put in half a cap or full cap of oil in each cylinder to make sure they don't rust up. as for the cooling system... take off the water pump and any other mechanical things dont freeze up while in storage. i sprayed the inside of my head with some WD40 while i storaged my longblock. dont leave oil in it though, it may gunk up.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Yet another engine question?? (93ejay1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how? just make sure u change the oil when u put it in

btw whered u get it from?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am going to be getting it from http://www.importautosalvage.com

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Advan06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just make sure all holes are covered and maybe put in half a cap or full cap of oil in each cylinder to make sure they don't rust up. as for the cooling system... take off the water pump and any other mechanical things dont freeze up while in storage. i sprayed the inside of my head with some WD40 while i storaged my longblock. dont leave oil in it though, it may gunk up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will make sure I cover the holes and I will put oil in the cylinder. How will they freeze up?

What if I get the engine and there is oil in it? What should I do?
Old 06-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I will make sure I cover the holes and I will put oil in the cylinder. How will they freeze up?

What if I get the engine and there is oil in it? What should I do?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If there is still coolant in the engine (which i bet there is) it will dry up, turn white, and corrode. If the engine has no oil in it when you get it (it shouldnt have oil in it) then just leave it be. spray some WD40 in that **** and sit back and relax. I used up half a can of wd40 on my longblock. started up perrrfect.

When you decide you are ready to swap in your motor, give the engine a couple hand cranks to make sure the pistons aren't stuck
Old 06-26-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Yet another engine question?? (Advan06)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Advan06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If there is still coolant in the engine (which i bet there is) it will dry up, turn white, and corrode. If the engine has no oil in it when you get it (it shouldnt have oil in it) then just leave it be. spray some WD40 in that **** and sit back and relax. I used up half a can of wd40 on my longblock. started up perrrfect.

When you decide you are ready to swap in your motor, give the engine a couple hand cranks to make sure the pistons aren't stuck</TD></TR></TABLE>

How would I get the coolant out?

What if it does have oil? Just figure out some way to drain it?

Do I take the valve cover off and spray WD40 there?

How do I hand crank it?
Old 06-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dawrenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How would I get the coolant out?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What I would do is use an air compressor and blow it out but i bet someone has something to say against that. Other than that, i have no clue, sorry.

What if it does have oil? Just figure out some way to drain it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your engine will most likely be arriving on a wooden crate thingy ( ). you can probably get an oil pan or something flat that will hold oil underneath it. Or, yes, find some way to drain it.

How do I hand crank it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you know where your pullies are? They are on the driver's side of the engine (opposite of the tranny). You will see a 17mm or 19mm nut in the middle of that. Use a socket and turn that nut... hmmm,... i want to say turn it clockwise... i forget
Old 06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do I take the valve cover off and spray WD40 there?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

oops, forgot this one. Yes, you do take off the valve cover and spray in there and into the holes leading to the shortblock. you should be fine doing that.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Advan06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What I would do is use an air compressor and blow it out but i bet someone has something to say against that. Other than that, i have no clue, sorry.

Your engine will most likely be arriving on a wooden crate thingy ( ). you can probably get an oil pan or something flat that will hold oil underneath it. Or, yes, find some way to drain it.

Do you know where your pullies are? They are on the driver's side of the engine (opposite of the tranny). You will see a 17mm or 19mm nut in the middle of that. Use a socket and turn that nut... hmmm,... i want to say turn it clockwise... i forget </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will do more research.

I will just figure something out.

Yes I know where they are. I will try to figure out which way to turn it.

oops, forgot this one. Yes, you do take off the valve cover and spray in there and into the holes leading to the shortblock. you should be fine doing that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will do that.