Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wut is wrong with my clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wut is wrong with my clutch?

i am guessing i have a clutch problem because it pops out of every gear without engaging the clutch, and at a certain speed/rpm i have realized that i can put it in gear without engaging the clutch? what is the problem here?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (lshatch318)

A it might not be your it could be your tranny is bad.being able to put in gear without having to engage the clutch sounds like bad syncro,check tranny for oil first. ????????????????
Old 01-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (DONFRH)

Clutch is worn to all hell. I remember with my friends old camry i could shift gears without using the clutch, and when i pressed on the gas it would just rev up...heh.

You can pull most honda trannies out of 3rd and into neutral without using the clutch, all of the ones i've driven have been able to do that.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You can pull most honda trannies out of 3rd and into neutral without using the clutch, all of the ones i've driven have been able to do that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im just curious, is it only in 3rd that you can safely pull the clutch out, or can you do it in other gears as well? Im asking because in my friend's civic, you can do it in every gear, and his clutch is fine.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (WongFeihung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WongFeihung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im just curious, is it only in 3rd that you can safely pull the clutch out, or can you do it in other gears as well? Im asking because in my friend's civic, you can do it in every gear, and his clutch is fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've only noticed third, I haven't really experimented with other gears..
Old 01-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can do that with all gears minus 1st, all you got to do is get the rpms up high and let off the gas, u will be able to pop it out of gear. 3rd does it automatically. And i have a brand new exeddy clutch.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can pull most honda trannies out of 3rd and into neutral without using the clutch, all of the ones i've driven have been able to do that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I accidently discovered that one day, haha. For some reason I thought I was driving an automatic and pulled it out of third when coming to a stop without noticing it. Then I thought, "Wtf? Did I just pull it out of third gear without pressing the clutch."
Old 01-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can pull out safely on all gears, depending on RPM. It's sorta cool because I know my tranny well now, and I can shift without using the clutch. Shift smoothly too
Old 01-08-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (Jonzo)

yeah i doubt my clutch is worn because i just put it in like 2 month ago, and i know i have transmission fluid in there too, so yall think my transmission is going out?
Old 01-08-2005, 02:44 PM

In an old Sunfire of mine, with a perfectly good clutch, you could shift w/o the clutch at all, it was just a matter of catching the RPM's right. I tried doing it after driving some POS friends car where the clutch was so bad you HAD to shift clutchless because after a while of driving it wouldnt catch anymore.

At first it took a little experimenting, like pull through first,pull it out of gear, rev up, and then w/o clutching, pull it into 2nd. At first it wouldnt pull into gear at all, then it would grind a little, then when you hit the right RPM it would slide right in as if you had the clutch in. Granted I hated this car and was driving it into the ground, but was still a fun little trick.

Oh btw, original poster, your clutch is toast, buy a new one.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (jlacoy82)

that sounds exactly like what my car is doing, yall really think my act clutch is toast after only 2 months?

Modified by lshatch318 at 12:34 AM 1/10/2005
Old 01-09-2005, 09:55 PM

If I'm reading this correctly; all you are saying is that at a certain RPM you can shift out of gear or into gear without using the clutch. THIS IS NORMAL. There is a certain RPM ( different for different cars and trannys ) when everything in the transmission is lined up just right where you can pull it out of gear, or put it into gear.. the syncros do all the work, and it does no harm unless you're grinding gears.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (ccivic)

ive pulled mine out of third and into 4th w/out the clutch
Old 01-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (93blkej1)

to the people who know their clutch/tranny very well...what rpms can you do this at....?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:04 AM

You replaced the clutch but did you replace the pressureplate?
You may ahve good clutch disk but if the pressure plate is worn and isn't pressing on the disk very well, chances are the symptoms of a worn clutch will still arise.

Normally when you replace the clutch, the pressureplate, release bearing and often times the flywheel also is replaced. Although some just get the flywheel resurfaced if the grooves aren't that deep.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (HoNdAxCiViCxGs-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HoNdAxCiViCxGs-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to the people who know their clutch/tranny very well...what rpms can you do this at....?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Iev been practicing this for a while and perfected it somewhat

I have a stock Dx tranny and motor so therefore i dont have a Tach (just yet)

But iev noticed u have to pull it in/out of gear when the motors winding down between gears
go from 3rd let off the gas and pull it outta gear, put light pressure on 4th and when its winding down itll pass the right rpm and pretty much suck itself right in w/ enough pressure on the shifter.

I think its different if the motor is winding up tho..

Experiment.. just be careful

And its not too quick either so if ur at the track or etc. dont do it
Old 01-10-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (Jonzo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can pull out safely on all gears, depending on RPM. It's sorta cool because I know my tranny well now, and I can shift without using the clutch. Shift smoothly too </TD></TR></TABLE>

I found out the same thing, usually just reving to about 3000-3500 RPM (around there) the gear will slide right out when tugged on.

I've done it in all honda's I've driven, and all the clutches have been fine.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (stolen4drteg)

that's pretty hott.. yea.. now that u mentioned it.. just yesterday i was driving and was kinda leaning on the center console with my hand on the shift **** and it popped out of third.. i think i'm gonna actually try it on purpose now.. how much pressure do u need to put on it to get it out??
Old 01-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (SkySolGra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkySolGra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's pretty hott.. yea.. now that u mentioned it.. just yesterday i was driving and was kinda leaning on the center console with my hand on the shift **** and it popped out of third.. i think i'm gonna actually try it on purpose now.. how much pressure do u need to put on it to get it out??</TD></TR></TABLE>
not too much, u just pull it with slight force, not enough to pull it out and when u reach the right rpm it just slides out w/ the small amount of force u already have applyed.

The only gears that grinded with me is going into 3rd

It'll feel as if its sliding in but then u get the grinding sometimes,
it depends on ur speed as well cuz even if ur pushing the clutch the tranny is still spinning at the speed of the car due to the cars momentume
Old 01-10-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: wut is wrong with my clutch? (HatchEh2)

yeah, i changed the pressure plate, but not the flywheel.

i can put it in gear w/o clutch at certain rpm but it will come out anytime, doesnt matter what rpm or how fast i am going i can pull it out and sometimes it will just pop out by itself and wont go back in for a few seconds....
Old 01-10-2005, 07:08 PM

my clutch is pretty bad, i needa get a new one, but im trying to hold off for the gsr swap, All the pressure I have to put on the clutch pedal is pretty much the weight of my foot and i can shift... not too good...
Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lshatch318 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, i changed the pressure plate, but not the flywheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Won't NOT re-surfacing the flywheel screw up a disk? Depending on how badly worn it is of course (the flywheel)

Old 01-10-2005, 11:57 PM

If the pressureplate is scratched, might as well your clutch will get worn fast.
It wont last very long even with proper driving.