Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Who here runs their ek or eg civic in the snow and have no sign of rust

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here runs their ek or eg civic in the snow and have no sign of rust

Anyoe got rust on their eks yet? What do you guys do to avoid rust from harsh winter weather?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Who here runs their ek or eg civic in the snow and have no sign of rust (Jonovision)

If you want your car to survive the winter wash the running gear (underneath) regularly.

Snow doesn't cause rust, the salt/sand combo used to give traction on the roads and melt the ice (respectively) does.

Salt = rust.

Wash your underbody (A frames, hubs, suspension, etc.) clear of salt regularly during the winter, and it won't start to rust.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here runs their ek or eg civic in the snow and have no sign of rust (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want your car to survive the winter wash the running gear (underneath) regularly.

Snow doesn't cause rust, the salt/sand combo used to give traction on the roads and melt the ice (respectively) does.

Salt = rust.

Wash your underbody (A frames, hubs, suspension, etc.) clear of salt regularly during the winter, and it won't start to rust.</TD></TR></TABLE>how often you think?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here runs their ek or eg civic in the snow and have no sign of rust (Syndacate)

I try not to roll my Ek but when I do i wash it every chance I get. Also best tip I have is when it comes time where the snow and salt has gone I jack my car up put it on jack stands and take all wheels off, Mud Flaps, Side skirts and I have a power washer and spray all the spots I can then wax everything wash the Side Skirts by hand and use a little of tire shine on them
Old 12-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here runs their ek or eg civic in the snow and have no sign of rust (Jonovision)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonovision &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how often you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

After you get done driving on roads that have been salted/sanded.

So maybe 4 days after a storm, when the roads are all cleaned up and all the salt/sand is off the roads.

I haven't washed mine at all this winter (I haven't gave a **** enough to), but if I did care, that's the way I would do it, you gotta do it, the salt will kill you.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

After you get done driving on roads that have been salted/sanded.

So maybe 4 days after a storm, when the roads are all cleaned up and all the salt/sand is off the roads.

I haven't washed mine at all this winter (I haven't gave a **** enough to), but if I did care, that's the way I would do it, you gotta do it, the salt will kill you.</TD></TR></TABLE>does your car have any rust?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonovision &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does your car have any rust?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No his car wouldnt show signs of rust that fast it would take longer then that
Old 12-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here runs their ek or eg civic in the snow and have no sign of rust (cln92eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No his car wouldnt show signs of rust that fast it would take longer then that </TD></TR></TABLE>im talkin about ever since he's owned it type thing,driving it through winters an such
Old 12-29-2007, 12:45 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Syndacate hasn't owned his 6G for very long, though it probably has been in the NE for much longer than he owned it.

My car is a 1998 Honda Civic EX coupe. Built in the summer of 1997 in Ohio and first registered in Salisbury's, MD. It was later traded in in Camden, DE and I found it the next day and picked it up later that week. The previous owner drove it in the winter, snow, rain, everything.

I also have driven it in the snow, rain, etc. I even ran it through several inches (~8) of brackish water when I became stranded on one side of the road (no other roads) after having seen a patient for work. I disconnected the CAI, coasted through the water and connected it again on the other side.

I've been slacking lately in washing my car, but usually I wash it at least once a week. That includes in snowy weather. I don't wait for the snow to melt if the car needs it.

I've driven my car in plenty of snow. DE (where I drove the car) salts their roads. WA (where I currently live) throws down sand and magnesium chloride. That crap's worse than salt and is also used in the midwest.

My car shows no rust save for a tiny spec at the front line of the hood where I got a nasty chip a few years back (probably first year I owned it - owned it for four years). I've been planning to replace the hood because of a dent near the top anyway though.

I have no rust on my car save for the normal surface stuff every car more than a year old that I've ever seen the inside of has (the dash shell I mean).
Old 12-29-2007, 01:45 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (NOFX)

I try to go to the closes touch less car wash near my home after a nice winter storm. I haven't had salt or dirt anywhere near my fenders ever since snow began to fall. And if i do have debris under there i would get a old shirt i have and just wipe it off.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:32 AM

If you want to slow it down you should have the car rust proofed. Not just the black undercoat spray (which my 92 came with), but the tan/yellow inner body treatment as well. They spray the stuff into the panels, which as we all know, is usually where the salty water gets in and eats it's way out.

I drove my 92 in Buffalo year round for 14 years. It was my first brand new car. I washed and waxed it religiously-even the inside of the door jambs, etc. The body actually held up pretty good. The paint was still very nice. But the rear wheels started to rust about 10 years in. I tried fixing what I could every spring with some body work, but the damage was done. Damn car only had 375,000 miles on it.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in Colorado, and we just got dumped on twice since Christmas. I've driven (DD) my del sol for 5yrs and haven't encountered any rust (knock on wood) as of yet.
Sometimes I go well over a month without washing my car because it's so darn cold; and my work schedule.
I do believe that the reason my car has been rust-free is my exterior maintenance. I thouroughly wash the outside and undercarriage, clay bar, then use the good Mequiar's line of products (#00,2,6,7,9,26) at the onset of winter. All of this protection helps when you can't wash as often during the winter.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (visormurp)

also parking your car in a heated garage will eat it up really bad if theres salt
Old 12-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Preventive maint is the key as mentioned. Try to wash your car at least once a week. Get in all those hard to reach spots where salt may have accumalated.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (Doostur)

My 92 is pretty bad, cancer of the wheelwells. Rocker panels are going too. I believe they use calcium chloride ("salt") in my area and the stuff chews through steel. I have washed the thing regularly since I've owned it to no avail, damage was already done when I bought it.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you pull the rubber liners off the rear wheel wells, and wash that area everytime you wash the car, and dry it with a towel, etc. You can prevent the rear wheel well rust on any Honda. That rubber stripping holds dirt, salt, and MOISTURE. That is what causes the ROT to begin in the first place.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:40 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Better idea... just remove the sideskirts. You'd be surprised what's under there. Usually sand, dirt, leaves. All the nasty stuff that holds and attracts water.

It's pretty easy to spray out the inside of fender trim without removing it all. Anyway, undercarriage clips have a tendency to break on the outside and turn to rubber on the inside. So they're hard to come out and when they do they come in several pieces each.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Consider Oil Spraying your car.

Or accept that your honda will rust just like every other. I did, that's why my honda is now my winter beater. Of course, I live in the ottawa-montreal rust belt.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont drive my Ek in the fall, winter, and spring times i have my little geo to run those months