Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG oR EK???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG oR EK???

Can someone help me decide between an EG or EK hatch, maybe Integra Chassis' as well. Im planning to autocross my car, but I also need a practical daily driver. Can someone knowledgeable give me pros and cons to each car???
Old 08-28-2005, 11:55 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: EG oR EK??? (CTR-GSR)

Thread started over, with the hope it might stay on the poster's subject.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CTR-GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Im planning to autocross my car, but I also need a practical daily driver. Can someone knowledgeable give me pros and cons to each car?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't see anything wrong with his asking which car might be inherently more suitable for his purposes.

Personally, I have always liked the EG. It's inherently an excellent, reliable and very nice handling car, with the added advantage that it's the easiest car to get all things Type R into.

Remember that you are asking about very old designs, however. An EG will not stand up in a crash the way an EP will.

And the headlights don't work very well.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: EG oR EK??? (George Knighton)

it depends how much can u spend.. If u won't be doing some seriours modifications i would say the EK, the EG behaves very badly for me, stock or with simple suspension mods like lowering spring and regular dampers.

The normal integra doesn't exist in europe, i just know the integra type R DC2 and ofcourse this one is the best of 3.

I choosed EG a couple of years ago because it's unique, i love the exterior of the car, the ECU is better then the EK and it's ligher meaning-- faster .. Of course i'm talking the VTi version, Si there I guess, (b16a2) engine in both.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2005, 01:46 PM

i would say ek. But, I love the eg but the car is getting really old. Its getting harder to find a clean eg nowadays. But if you could find a clean eg for a good price..Get it. More legal engine selections.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (NerveAgent)

eg coupe or hatch all the way man
Old 08-28-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: (93egsedan)

EK......but im biased

i cant compare the 2, but im sure it would be easier to find lower mileage eks rather than egs...either way honda is a honda
Old 08-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ADN_pt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it depends how much can u spend.. If u won't be doing some seriours modifications i would say the EK, the EG behaves very badly for me, stock or with simple suspension mods like lowering spring and regular dampers.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I am going to be pretty serious with whatever car I get. It seems that everyone is pointing towards Civic hatch for sure. Im planning to keep whatever car I buy for a long long time, meaning eventual serious modifications. What do u mean that the EG behaves badly?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (CTR-GSR)

what car do you like betteR?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:20 PM

I got an EK and I want a DC.... That answer your question?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:24 PM

I'd say if you're going to autocross and daily drive it, get an EG. The shorter wheelbase makes for a much better autocross car than the EK (I have an EK coupe, it sucks for autocross). Not to mention the fact that they're lighter and like George said you can swap almost any Integra part into them.

They're excellent cars for autocross if you set them up properly, which is very easy to do, and they're really practical in that they obviously get insane mileage with a stock motor, and you can fit far more tires into the hatchbacks than you will ever actually need.

The problem with EKs is that they're REALLY heavy in comparison to the EGs, which is the problem I'm having with mine right now. This isn't something you really want to have to deal with if you're just doing autocross. As a daily driver I would suggest an EK though, as they're a bit roomier and obviously newer, so most of them will be in much better shape, but since you're planning on autocrossing it and (from the sounds of it) being serious about it, go with an EG. Hands down, no question for your purposes.

And yes, you're right, go with the hatchback, don't waste your time with a coupe for your needs.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DICY)

The EG, but only cuz I drive one. I'll tell u why. The headlights, the door handles, the seats and interior. I feel that when I'm in an EG the interior seems to make me feel much more secure than in an EK. Or maybe its just my H22 that makes me so proud to own my 94 Coupe.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rfoster03)

Wait wait wait, the EG has a better interior??? Please articulate.....
Old 08-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...st=14

How Does this look, can anyone see any immediate problems with this car?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CTR-GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...st=14

How Does this look, can anyone see any immediate problems with this car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The problem is that it's 4k. If it was more like 2k to 3k maybe. If money is not the issue, then by all means, knock yourself out. But if you are looking for a good car at a fair price, I would try to find one cheaper that would require a little TLC.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG oR EK??? (CTR-GSR)

EG6.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BIGmike_99)

EG6. but i have no EK experience...
Old 08-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Streets of Sacramento...But now living in So Cal, usa

ek or the dc2
Old 08-29-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Re: (all slam)

a tube framed eg for racing and a JDM dc2 for daily driving
Old 08-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboeg77)

I had an ek sedan a couple years ago, sold it to buy the Porsche and now I just bought an EG hatch as a daily/track toy since the porsche is not up for daily driver duty. I like the hatch better in terms of handling and looks. the interior in the ek was newer feeling, but the eg has a touch that i kinda like... Once i go through with some of my plans, my eg hatch should be a great daily/HPDE car.
Of course, a GSR is nicer.
that civic you linked to is way over priced, and the single wiper is kinda gay.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: (Eyal 951)

I would have to say EG in your case since everyone one is throwing out the DC. But in all honesty, check the record honda backs the DC chassis over the EG because they feel that the overall balance is near perfect in the DC. I have owned both and be came tired of both as well. But to me the DC is a better handling car then the EG. Most of us on Honda-Tech members have either gone through a EG or CRX chassis in our day so of course we are going to be some what bias. My new project is a EK yeah its a little heavier then a EG but I'm trying to make up for that weight with a bigger engine(B20&gt;B16), really it comes down to the owner and what he himself believes his car can do. If you believe that 89 CRX can out handle a indy car you are going to do everything in your power to reach that goal. Its ultimately up to the owner. Thats my 2cents
Old 08-30-2005, 03:45 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: (SinCitiEK4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SinCitiEK4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> But to me the DC is a better handling car then the EG.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The DC will basically have a better balance, but the EG will basically have a better polar moment of inertia and will therefore turn faster.

In the real world, neither enjoys a handling advantage over the other just because of the chassis design.

There are so many suspension choices and so many different drivers, you could win a race in either car.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The DC will basically have a better balance, but the EG will basically have a better polar moment of inertia and will therefore turn faster.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Woah, I bet you have track experience. So it looks to me that between the hatches, EG will be a better choice, even though it lacks interior functions. But now more ppl are saying DC2's. The only DC2 I will be able to afford is an LS, I would have to wait a long time for GS-Rs... Im still in Highschool and I want to polish up my driving abilities early so maybe DC2s will be out of the question??
Old 08-30-2005, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, I need someone from this forum to like guide me as I go along. To tell me what to do and what not to do. It seems there are a lot of pros out there
Old 08-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I see a problem with the autotrader car. The guys you need to contact are Juan and Jaime. Dirty Mexicans... I wouldn't do it.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have owned an EG hatch, coupe and currently building a 4 door. Sounds funny but I like the 4 door a whole lot more than the hatch or the coupe. I have never owned a DC2, but have driven a few and they really dont feel any different to me than the civics did.

No experience with EKs.

My vote? EG6(hatcH) or EG8(4 door).

Quick Reply: EG oR EK???