Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

white trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white trans fluid?

i go to drain my transmittion fluid to put some new stuff in. After i take the bolt off i see white fluid draining out. I'm like wtf is this??? Its only been in tehre for maybe 2 months. A locan shop must've put that stuff in when i got my clutch done. Does anyone know what this white stuff could've been????? There isn't much tech here but the stuff from honda that i put in sure isn't white. Would the trans fluid somehow become white??
Old 10-07-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: white trans fluid? (Cypher0117)

the only thing i can even think of that would be white would be the grease on the drain plug. tranny fluid is always red, as far as i know, so i have no idea what that could be.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: white trans fluid? (that one civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that one civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only thing i can even think of that would be white would be the grease on the drain plug. tranny fluid is always red, as far as i know, so i have no idea what that could be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i thought as well but it was thinner than all greese that i've seen

more ideas?
Old 10-07-2005, 07:13 PM

guess no one knows?
Old 10-08-2005, 05:44 PM

well, about how much white fluid came out? are we talking mass quantities here?
Old 10-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Bloody Beaver

Honda manual trannies don't take grease... they can take 10w30/40 or Honda MTF
only thing I can think of that made it whiteish is a lot of metal particles, but even then it wouldnt be very white, more gray
Old 10-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: white trans fluid? (Dr. ******)

Packers
Old 10-08-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: white trans fluid? (EJ8VTEC)

its jizz hahaha
Old 10-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that one civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only thing i can even think of that would be white would be the grease on the drain plug. tranny fluid is always red, as far as i know, so i have no idea what that could be.</TD></TR></TABLE>
as stated above,Hondas use engine oil as tranny fluid.Honda MTF,as well as any standard 10W-30 oil that may be used will be the standard brownish color.some of the more exotic fluids people have tried may be other colors,but some of those other fluids can damage the tranny.traditional red automatic tranny fluid IS NOT acceptable to use.
is it possibly that water may have gotten into the tranny?i've had trannies that have been sitting and have water in them turn the oil to a whitish mush as it gets churned while being used.
is this the same tranny you've been using,or was it newly installed with the clutch?
maybe try calling the shop to see what they put in there.
fill it to the proper level with the proper fluid,then drain it again after a little driving to see how it looks then.
Chris
Old 10-08-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: white trans fluid? (TeamNextGenChris)

i'm not talking about putting grease in the tranny itself, i'm talking about the grease that's on the threads of the drain plug. every repair manual i've read so far recommends that when you replace the transmission drain plug, you put a small dab of white grease on the threads first. a few years ago, i had the transmission fluid in my car changed by a shop because it was in there for other repairs (actually, i should say that my parents had them change it, cause they paid for those repairs). the next time i pulled the plug off, there was white grease on the threads, which the shop had put on.

water getting in the tranny and turning the oil to a whitish slush, that's a definite possibility. you might want to check all of your seals.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that one civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm not talking about putting grease in the tranny itself, i'm talking about the grease that's on the threads of the drain plug.
.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i understood what you meant about the plug.as a side note-i've never done that and never had one leak.the fill/drain plugs have a sealing washer just like the oil drain plug-they don't need any additional sealers.if properly torqued,they also don't need any anti-seize help.
your tranny fluid should be brown.red is bad,white is bad.like i said above,some people have experimented with other types of fluids that vary in color.the only fluids that have been proven to work well-Honda MTF,standard engine oil and Synchromesh-are all brown in color.there are some fluids that may help bandaid a grind,or shift smoother,but their ability to prevent wear/damage in the longterm have not been proven.
Chris
Old 10-08-2005, 08:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that one civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, about how much white fluid came out? are we talking mass quantities here?</TD></TR></TABLE>

all 1.8qts was white.....i put the honda stuff in it. It was a used tranny i bought that the shop put in with my new clutch so it could've been **** that was in it b4 but idk. I'm saying this was white white....not off white...it was white. My autos teacher was confused when i showed it to him. He didn't eve know what it was
Old 10-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cypher0117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

all 1.8qts was white.....i put the honda stuff in it. It was a used tranny i bought that the shop put in with my new clutch so it could've been **** that was in it b4 but idk. I'm saying this was white white....not off white...it was white. My autos teacher was confused when i showed it to him. He didn't eve know what it was</TD></TR></TABLE>
if it was put in with the clutch,it could very well have had some water in it.like i said above-drive it some,then drain.refill,and do it again until there's nothing but pure oil draining.also,you'd be better off to just use cheap engine oil for this as Honda MTF is too expensive to drain after a few miles.once you have it cleaned out well,replace it with Honda MTF.
does the tranny work well?any grinds?
Chris
Old 10-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: white trans fluid? (TeamNextGenChris)

TeamNextGenChris has been pretty on point. Only thing white and milky would be a little water. honda MTF is like $5/qt. You CAN use regular 10w30 motor oil just to flush it, but i wouldnt run it in there long, and i definately wouldnt run it hard (shifting hard) with the regular oil. Something about it doesnt seem to work as well when it comes to helping the synchro's work. just run around a few miles going through all gears gently upshifting and downshifting.

then drain it again, take the extra 8 minutes and pull the starter, remove the 19mm plug under the starter and you can just pour cheap oil through the tranny letting it drain through the bottom. simple way to flush it.... and more effective pouring from the top instead of the halfway mark where the real fill plug is.

as far as the quality of fluid to use would be honda MTF lowest standard... GM sychromesh next, redline synthetic gear oil next up from that, and the best stuff i have ever encountered would be the royal purple synchro-max fully synthetic gear oil. honda MTF is standard, the rest of the stuff makes those synchro's work smoother and smoother the better the stuff you get.