Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

white residue in radiator....head gasket problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white residue in radiator....head gasket problem?

Hello all! As my username suggests, i don't have a honda, but my sister does and I'm posting this question on her behalf. It's a 2000 Civic hatchback. She recently brought it to her mechanic who said there was some white residue on the radiator cap, and said this is usually a problem with the head gasket. he's an independent mechanic, and told her that she still has a warranty and that she should bring it to the dealership as it's expensive to fix. she called and told someone at the dealer this, and they said it was completely normal, because honda engines run so hot. i thought this was a little strange, so i figured i'd try and see if i coudl get some feedback from people who know a little more honda specific info than i do.

any/all opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: white residue in radiator....head gasket problem? (mysisterhasahondanotme)

That sounds like it may be a head gasket problem, but from 2000 Civic?! Is that car overheating at all? Is there white smoke coming from the exhaust? Did you drain the oil? Coolant mixing with oil tends to give it a lighter color than usual.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:48 AM

Default Re: white residue in radiator....head gasket problem? (Milano_EH3)

That sounds like it may be a head gasket problem, but from 2000 Civic?! Is that car overheating at all? Is there white smoke coming from the exhaust? Did you drain the oil? Coolant mixing with oil tends to give it a lighter color than usual.
thanks for the reply! i'll have to ask her if it's been doing overheating and ask her about the smoke. off the top of my head, i don't think so, cuz i'm sure i would have heard about it from her. i always thought it was kind of the telltale sign of the head gasket, but i was surprised to hear it from her. she only has like 40K miles, completely babied, not modded, regular oil changes and such....and plus, like you said, it's a 2000 civic! the last car i figured would have any sort of engine trouble i didn't drain the oil, but i think she may have been in for an oil change and that's when her mechanic noticed (i'm about an hour away, so i can't really go inspect myself).
Old 01-02-2003, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: white residue in radiator....head gasket problem? (mysisterhasahondanotme)

Well, I wouldn't worry about the residue if none of those other symptoms exist. Might want to flush the coolant though.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:30 PM

Default Re: white residue in radiator....head gasket problem? (Milano_EH3)

thanks! i'll pass the advice on to her!