Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheres My MAP sensor at? supposedly its there

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheres My MAP sensor at? supposedly its there

I had my bottom end built by a engine shop near me. I told the guy who did the engine to put in a gm 3 bar because i wanted to push 16-17 psi. I got the car back from him and he tuned it but only at 11 psi.... kinda weird huh but it was whatever at the time because i still needed to upgrade my cams before i wanted to go any higher. he told me that he stealthily installed the map sensor because it still has the stock map sensor on the top of the throttle body.. once again didnt think to much of it.

well i installed gsr cams yesterday and replaced my turbo with a nother 50 trim and put in a new clutch to hold more power. LO AND BEHOLD i go to get tuned on the dyno yesterday with a different tuner and he tells me that this thing only has a stock map sensor and for the life of him he cant find the 3 bar. I asked him to follow the pig tail and the only thing we found connected to it was the intake air temp plug.

also we pulled up hondata s300 menu and it was still set on a stock map sensor setting... WTF!

so i emailed the last tuner and heres what he had to say:

The setting is by voltage you don’t have to set up the sensor type if you know how to use a meter….using preset sensor types is a crappy way of tuning. That is how a beginner tunes…. I left the factory sensor diode isolated as a backup sensor. So you probably need to get it tuned here. Every time you e-mail me you question my work. I have told you a 1000 times to bring it back if you have a problem…..you are more than welcome to stop by and I will show you how the sensors are set up and how to properly tune them

im thinking he didnt put it in there and wants me to come retune with him so he can sneakily slip it in while he is doing it. Im gonna have to travel 2 hours for him to "show" where it is... but wanted to know your guys thoughts...

1. where the hell is this 3 bar... where could it possibly be?
2. with the map sensor setting on hondata being the stock one wouldnt it run like poop if it were running a 3 bar?
3. what are my options if hes bullshitting and hes didnt do it....
Old 06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheres My MAP sensor at? supposedly its there

The gm 3 bar runs on a complete different voltage than the stock MAP. When you plug in the 3 bar and dont tell the ecu it is a 3 bar the car will idle very high! You told him to put in a 3 bar; therefore, he has to put in a GM 3 bar...not redo some stock MAP. You paid the money...you need to get what you paid for. Go back to him.

Check your vacuum ports. The map has to have a vacuum source to work.

Just make the trip and take a video of him showing you the GM right as you arrive
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where would the vacuum usually run from?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azandford
where would the vacuum usually run from?
anywhere on the IM.

On a side note, it is possible that he simply changed the voltage table of the stock MAP sensor in the S300 instead of selecting a new MAP sesnor scalar.

Another possibility is that he could still be on a stock MAP sensor and 16PSI. The tuner is just tuning off the final column in the fuel/timing tables. This isnt uncommon either. Its not the CORRECT way to do it, but it WILL still work.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

vacuum runs from the intake manifold. Follow all the lines and try to trace back to the sensor. Also are there wires plugged into the oem sensor? if so then im betting you dont have a 3bar.

see this pic of my bay, i still have the stock map in place but the wiring has been removed and re-wire to the 3bar
Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
vacuum runs from the intake manifold. Follow all the lines and try to trace back to the sensor. Also are there wires plugged into the oem sensor? if so then im betting you dont have a 3bar.

see this pic of my bay, i still have the stock map in place but the wiring has been removed and re-wire to the 3bar
this picture helped a lot because thats how he explained how mine was but i didnt even pay attention to the wiring where did you mount yours?.. no my stock map is still plugged in... does a gm 3 bar look a lot different than a stock map sensor? im gonna dig around my engine bay but i just swapped turbos and did cams.... i swear i would have noticed a sensor hanging around... who knows...

if i cant find it im gonna roll up with the video camera and be like.. " wheres my map sensor i paid for dick head!" its gonna be an epic fail on his part when he stutters about sme bs... ill let you guys know after i dig about the engine bay a bit more tonight
Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this picture helped a lot because thats how he explained how mine was but i didnt even pay attention to the wiring where did you mount yours?.. no my stock map is still plugged in... does a gm 3 bar look a lot different than a stock map sensor? im gonna dig around my engine bay but i just swapped turbos and did cams.... i swear i would have noticed a sensor hanging around... who knows...

if i cant find it im gonna roll up with the video camera and be like.. " wheres my map sensor i paid for dick head!" its gonna be an epic fail on his part when he stutters about sme bs... ill let you guys know after i dig about the engine bay a bit more tonight
If your stock sensor is still plugged in then you dont have a GM 3bar
Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
well before i roll up there i just want to make sure its not somewhere else and just not hooked up which still would be strange because i also paid for the pigtail

just want to make sure i have all my bases covered
Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well before i roll up there i just want to make sure its not somewhere else and just not hooked up which still would be strange because i also paid for the pigtail

just want to make sure i have all my bases covered
see above post about your stock MAP being plugged in.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed. even if there was a 3bar hanging in the bay somewhere...what is it wired too? you have all the evidence you need. there is no sensor you can see, you stock map is still plugged in and your hondata is tuned with a stock sensor calibration. go get your money back.

for reference the gm 3 bar looks like this
Old 06-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and post who that tuner is....
Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFPhilly
and post who that tuner is....
Well I will definitely do that after I go see him next mondau but for now I will say its a shop in northern Delaware. Also there is no vacuum running off the manifold. I feel like a complete idiot about the situation but I guess ill have to pay more attention in the future
Old 06-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Only an idiot would waste time "diode isolating" the stock sensor. People will leave it in, unplugged, just to plug the hole. It won't do jack as a backup anyways, because you'd need a different tune if you wanted to use as a backup.

Have your new tuner select the stock 1.75bar sensor in Hondata, then check what the voltage or absolute pressure is being read with your key on but engine off. If it's still the stock sensor, it will read ~0 inHg or 0 psi, which is atmospheric pressure. Then check what it reads with a 3bar selected. If you use a 3bar setting with a stock MAP, it would show your're boosting at ~10psi with the engine off!

If you can view voltage: 2.8 volts would indicate it's still using a 1.75bar sensor reading atmospheric pressure, 1.65 volts would be a 3bar sensor reading atmospheric pressure.

My guess is the other tuner just stole your money if you paid for a 3bar install.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What does that even mean diode isolating?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What does that even mean diode isolating?
voltage can only flow 1 way, not back-feed.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

voltage can only flow 1 way, not back-feed.
why would there be a need to do this? sorry for all the questions but im still semi new to this and dont want to bs-ed out of my sensor... i have had some work done to the car since it was tuned by this douche im just gonna guess and say that the person who did all this work must have taken it out blah blah blah.... we had to reroute literally every vacuum line because the car wouldnt hold boost through the gears..
Old 06-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So are you going to go talk to that D bag. If I were in northern Delaware I would kick his *** myself. No shop should steal money from kids/adults that don't know much.

I just can't believe a shop would tune period on above 10 on a stock map....makes me sick.

If that guy gives you just a map sensor I would ask for more because that's B.S.! I would want free parts in exchange for not putting his name on here.<--That's blackmail at the finest.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM

You need to post the CALIBRATION that was pulled from the S300 here for people to look at...

Your situation is "iffy" at best...but other than time, I dont see how making a trip and having him show you where everything is and how he set it up would be a bad thing. he seems open to doing that and if you are informed he cant pull the wool over your eyes.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xenocron
You need to post the CALIBRATION that was pulled from the S300 here for people to look at...
x2