Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints?

I recently had a legit usdm B20z motor put in my 98 civic hb. I sold my stock d16y7 motor/tranny to the guy who perform the swap. He is going to the state ref to get my old motor register in his salvaged civic so he can put it for sale.(I signed the release paper)

My tag/smog is due at the end of this year. Will the state of california know that my motor is in another vehicle while I try to get my car smog in some sort of way? In other words, would it be in conflict to register my civic V.I.N. for the B20 motor(assuming visual isn't being undertaken) while already being register in another car(the other dude's salvage car)?

How do I go about on getting my car to pass smog, if not visual? If i take it to a smog station that doesn't do visual, will they register the smog as my stock civic motor which I don't have anymore?

I'd appreciate if I can get some insight in the complication. Thanks
Old 10-20-2003, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints? (kinvid)

you cant smog those. you can legally smog a JDM engine in a civic now in cali, but not a CRV buddy.

those are defined as truck/suv motors, so they do not belong anywhere near our cars.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:00 PM

Default Re: where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints? (JUN EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you cant smog those. you can legally smog a JDM engine in a civic now in cali, but not a CRV buddy.

those are defined as truck/suv motors, so they do not belong anywhere near our cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what he said. however, if u goto some ref who doesn't know, he may pass you. but ultimately louis went to the head of the BAR and was told that the b20 isn't a viable option.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:00 PM
can I haz?

Default Re: where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints? (JUN EK9)

not all true, i heard that the B20 also comes in a car in japan but i am not sure which one. somebody back me up on this one.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints? (thid92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thid92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not all true, i heard that the B20 also comes in a car in japan but i am not sure which one. somebody back me up on this one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the JDM crv?
Old 10-20-2003, 02:22 PM
can I haz?

no i said car. i had the same arguement with some guy before, i told him it couldnt be done then he told me about a car that has the B20 in it. it was a couple of months ago and it doesnt really matter to me since i live in NY. thats why i cant remember what car it was.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Re: where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints? (thid92)

wasn't it a honda stationwagon...honda osiris or something like that..

thi...how are you planning to smog your B20? you're in cali, right? &lt;==nm
Old 10-20-2003, 02:28 PM

california is so strict on all there bullshit laws, but i guess it is all about the smog cause there is an assload in cali
Old 10-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints? (kinvid)

the only way is if you know somebody that can smog it illegally, you cant get bar in cali with a b20, jdm or usdm
Old 10-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thid92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i said car. i had the same arguement with some guy before, i told him it couldnt be done then he told me about a car that has the B20 in it. it was a couple of months ago and it doesnt really matter to me since i live in NY. thats why i cant remember what car it was.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe, my fault, i wasnt trying to be a smartass. hence the questionmark at the end. i wasnt really sure what the b20 went in, in japan anyways.

maybe the b20Z will work, but not the USDM b20.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">those are defined as truck/suv motors, so they do not belong anywhere near our cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what does that have to do with anything? My SUV uses a car engine from the factory (Duratec V6) so is it not smog legal? LOL

I think the real answer is that since you have to change the huge intake manifold, it no longer is a stock b20z, and therefor can't be smogged.

Legally I can put a 2001 Chevy Suburban engine in my 99 civic and get it ref'd, as long as the suburban engine was 100% stock to 2001 specs, and was mounted in a safe way.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints? (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what does that have to do with anything? My SUV uses a car engine from the factory (Duratec V6) so is it not smog legal? LOL

I think the real answer is that since you have to change the huge intake manifold, it no longer is a stock b20z, and therefor can't be smogged.

Legally I can put a 2001 Chevy Suburban engine in my 99 civic and get it ref'd, as long as the suburban engine was 100% stock to 2001 specs, and was mounted in a safe way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't believe that's true. where'd you get your info from?
when someone gets BAR to sign off on a complete b20 in a civic, please let me know.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:40 PM

Default Re: where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints? (nonsense)

hmm..i know a SUV motor is illegal in a passenger car, is everybody missing the point of my question? where can this smog be done?

and if my engine v.i.n. is being register in another car, can i still register under the same v.i.n. for the B20?
Old 10-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kinvid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm..i know a SUV motor is illegal in a passenger car, is everybody missing the point of my question? where can this smog be done?

and if my engine v.i.n. is being register in another car, can i still register under the same v.i.n. for the B20?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think that they track engine numbers to VIN when doing a SMOG. If the SMOG guy is doing it illegaly then it shouldn't matter too much
Old 10-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints? (ruthless013)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ruthless013 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't believe that's true. where'd you get your info from?
when someone gets BAR to sign off on a complete b20 in a civic, please let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah I think you're right. It used to be that it was OK to go between types. Here's what I got from http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy- duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Main thing is, whether the B20 is available in a car in Japan or not, it's not available in a US car. The motor to be smogged must be available in a Honda/Acura car to be legit.

The reason smog laws are so strict over here is because our air is beyond bad, it's unhealthy, and only getting worse.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rodrez)

when i had my b16a2 swap smogged, first thing the guy said was 'that's an integra motor.' i said 'no sir, it's a b16a2, available in this chasis (6th gen) just not this year (96).' he looked up the engine code (b16a2) not vin, realized it was a civic motor, and continued with his inspection. i passed.

you might be SOL with this b20. good luck.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:57 AM

It looks like you have a few choices here.

1) Find a D-series motor and swap it in, smog the car, and swap back in your B20.

2) Go to a city/town or a small smog station where swaps are unheard of. Act dumb and pretend that the motor is the original motor for the car. If they ask, just say you don't know and that you purchased the car like that. They will either not notice and smog the car, or they will just ignore the fact that its not the same motor and smog it anyway, OR they'll fail you.

3) Find an illegal smog and let them take care of it.

A word of advise- If they do infact smog your car with the B20 in it, there is a chance that it may not pass. EK's are tested as being 1.6's with ultra low emissions. The 2.0 might run a little dirtier than the standards that are set for the stock 1.6l. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2003, 12:59 PM

Default Re: where/how can i get my B20swapped EK smog in so cali under these restraints? (EVIL_EKology)

My problem will be solve...I have a friend who can pull some strings