Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I need to know if a B18 motor will pass smog in CA.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to know if a B18 motor will pass smog in CA.?

I know alot of people talk about smog on here, so i'm sorry to bring up the topic once more. So I bought a 95 civic running a B20b in it and the person gave me a B18 that needs some work. i have to swap out the B20 to pass smog because its a truck motor, but i need to know if i would pass smog with a B18 (in CA). I've been calling around and looking on the internet and I'm getting conflicting info. I've been told if it's not sold in the U.S. you can't pass and I've been told if it doesn't come in a civic you won't pass. On the other hand i've heard that the just check that it is put in correctly and if it has the censors ant cat. I appreciate the comments. Oh yea also I have to take to a test only place and then they'll say take it to a ref. so i can't just go to a small smog place that will make the car pass.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I need to know if a B18 motor will pass smog in CA.? (mike03civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike03civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know alot of people talk about smog on here, so i'm sorry to bring up the topic once more. So I bought a 95 civic running a B20b in it and the person gave me a B18 that needs some work. i have to swap out the B20 to pass smog because its a truck motor, but i need to know if i would pass smog with a B18 (in CA). I've been calling around and looking on the internet and I'm getting conflicting info. I've been told if it's not sold in the U.S. you can't pass and I've been told if it doesn't come in a civic you won't pass. On the other hand i've heard that the just check that it is put in correctly and if it has the censors ant cat. I appreciate the comments. Oh yea also I have to take to a test only place and then they'll say take it to a ref. so i can't just go to a small smog place that will make the car pass.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it "can" pass but it must be BAR'd

i dont know the process, but im sure someone will be able to explain it in detail...i will be having to BAR my b18 in the next year as well