Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheel Stud Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Stud Replacement

I've been reading and have found a ton of info on replacing wheel studs.

I can't do the grinding thing because there isn't enough clearance.

I have the caliper and rotor off, but I need to know how to remove the thing that the studs are set in (hub?). Please help me to know how to remove this.

I'm new at this, so please be detailed.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2003, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Wheel Stud Replacement (Philip)

No replys but that's ok because this is what i did. I yelled SCREW IT!!! I'm bringing it to a shop Thursday and saying replace two on this side and one on that side, replace this CV boot and axle, and here is my credit card...

I don't even care anymore, replacing brake pads isn't supposed to take 8 hours.

Do you guys find that if you over torque stock lugs, they screw all up?
Old 07-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you read my wheel stud howto... why not go spend $20 on a dremel rather than $90 at the tire shop? Whatever, its your money... Also yes, always torque lug nuts to 80ft lbs.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Wheel Stud Replacement (toolowsol)

Shop charged me $32 to press two lug nuts in. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Wheel Stud Replacement (toolowsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you read my wheel stud howto... why not go spend $20 on a dremel rather than $90 at the tire shop? Whatever, its your money... Also yes, always torque lug nuts to 80ft lbs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

got a dremel. there isn't enough clearance back there to put the studs in. there isn't a recess position that people are talking about (at 6 o'clock) this an EJ8

I read a wheel stud how to, where's yours?

edit: nevermind i recognize your name i've seen it.

Old 07-26-2003, 06:35 PM

i just went through the same problem went to replace a CV axle and screw up two lugs and found that my lower ball joint was shot. I called the machine shop that the local Honda dealership uses and they tried to say when they pressed out my hub the bearing would come apart and i would have to replace it too. lucky i was able to fix the two studs. Now i am just wating for a balljoint to come in. I love how a 2 hour project turns into a 4 day project!
Old 07-26-2003, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Wheel Stud Replacement (jlamaster)

what year/model is your car? did you pull the hub yourself?
Old 07-26-2003, 07:29 PM

I've got a 96. I just smashed the end of the lug so i was able to take a file and file away the first few threads a little and i got my lugs back on. But if i would have had to take it to the machine shop they guy on the phone quoted me 50 dollas for labor! Which is stupid just to press a hub out and put two studs in. So just call around and get some quotes before you get anything done. I think it was stupid to make the EG's able to replace a stud but on EK's you have to have the HUB pressed out. Did you break a lug or just strip it? If its just stipped try and file it
Old 07-26-2003, 08:08 PM

i broke it

so you were able to put it in through the back?
Old 07-26-2003, 08:26 PM

i didn't have to put new ones in. i just fixed mine. You might want to try and knock the hub out yourself with a board and a hammer. I was gonna try but i was afraid i would really destroy the bearing.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:28 PM

to knock out the hub, do i need to remove that huge nut in the center of the hub? or just pull it right out after the rotor is off?
Old 07-26-2003, 08:46 PM

If your going to try to take it out yourself you probally need to take the whole spindle off the control arms and knock it out from behind. Keep in mind this is just what i figured would work i've never done this. But i don't see why it wouldn't work just make sure NOT to hit the bearing directly! Use wood or a pipe and place that on the bearing on the back and hit that. What you will want to do it remove the two bolts holding the brake line to the spindle. then remove the cotter pins from the Upper and Lower Balljoints and bust those out. Then remove the cotter pin from the Tie rod and remove it. You should have be able to remove the Whole Spindle/Hub assembly from the car. You will need to place two boards or something apart from each other so you can place the Spindle, (Lugs Facing Downward) on them and NOT have the lugs suporting the weight since this is what you are knocking out. Then Place something over the bearing (ie: wood, Pipe, Etc) and take a large hammer and knock out the Hub and bearings. If you feel like you are hitting it as hard as you can and it is not comming out you might want to take it to a machine shop and have them press it out. BUT if it does come out you should be able to knock out the broken lugs and replace them. To re-install the hub/bearings place them level on the spindle and tap around the inside of the Hub (where the axle nut pokes thru) and put it back in like that. Becareful not to knock it in crooked.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:12 PM

wow, this much more involved than i thought. i thought it was just remove the huge nut in the middle, and then pull the thing with the studs off (hub?)

Thanks for the info.