Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Whats the difference between a sub frame brace and a lower sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the difference between a sub frame brace and a lower sway bar?

Whats the difference between a sub frame brace and a lower sway bar? Do they work the same? Or are both needed?
Old 02-15-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Whats the difference between a sub frame brace and a lower sway bar? (datssoled)

a subframe brace is a chassis component. It is used to stiffen a section of the uni-body, usually tying together two side of the frame. examples would be a strut tower bar, x-brace or lower tie bar

a sway bar is a suspension component that croses from one wheel to the other....it essentially acts like a giant spring that crosses from one wheel to another.

Most people confuse the two and end up buying a strut tower bar and claim to feel the types of performance enhancement that are associated with a sway bar.... while strut bars do offer some performance advantage...you are better off buying sway bars, you'll get a lot more out them (although your buds won't be able to see them and you can't show off)
Old 02-15-2007, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Whats the difference between a sub frame brace and a lower sway bar? (datssoled)

You could just call it a sway bar not lower sway bar, People will know what you mean. A subframe brace is usually a sturdy reinforcement to the weak subframe on civics. That is where the Rear LCA's and swaybars mount up. Most people say go no bigger than 13mm sway bar on an unreenforced subframe.
dropcivc may have his words mixed up a lil. Those strut tower bars, x-braces, and tie bars are normally called chassis braces.
To answer the OP's question they are both needed when running a large sway bar. I haven't heard of anyone getting a performace-like feel from just a subframe brace but they are used in conjunction with the sway bar for the added protection.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the difference between a sub frame brace and a lower sway bar? (excivicboy96)

so a subframe would just be an additional add on for the LCAs to hold on to? So if i get a sway bar I wouldnt really need a subframe?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well like it was stated....anything under a 13 or 14mm is probably ok with no subframe reinforcement. however say an itr or any of that diameter around 22mm or bigger would definitely need reinforcement....i.e. beaks kit or asr. i have a knockoff rear lower tie bar and itr sway with the beaks kit and no tearout or issues yet also just to throw it in i have my old si control arms with si sway and endlinks for sale if interested