Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What should my vtec feel like...with video

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should my vtec feel like...with video

so maybe ill get more help by starting a new thread. Here is what i found today, i got an oil pressure tester and tested the oil pressure after the vtec solenoid. It seems to be working exactly how it should, when i get to the engage point at 6100rpm i get 14 volts at the solenoid and the oil pressure goes from 0-80psi like it should. The thing is i notice no difference in engine sound or power. When i manually engage the vtec at low rpms i notice the engine really bogs down like it should at those low rpms but at the higher rpms i just see no difference. It's not like i have nothing to go off of i mean ten minutes before the vtec was working fine when i hit 6100 rpms the engine changed from a scream to a mean growl. Now i just notice no difference is it possible that it is working right and for some reason the sound and power just changed randomly can anyone help me here.. i am posting a video to you tube right now so you can tell me if it is actually engaging and i am just delirious
Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What should my vtec feel like...with video

wheres the video????????????
Old 02-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bossm
wheres the video????????????
youtube.com takes about 30 minutes to process videos it is being uploaoded as we speak or i guess type. It sounds like it does change a little in the video it just sound nothing compared to what it used to about two days ago when i first hooked it up. In the video i left the oil pressure tester hooked up so you can see exactly when it is engaging.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what motor are u talking about b??? d??? h???
Old 02-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ha sorry yeah that is pretty important it's a b16a2... i don't know what is taking youtube so long it still says it's processing. Also i was wondering when vtec engages does the ecu put more fuel in, i mean i know it opens the intakes but does it open up the injectors more. Could dirty/failing injectors make it seem like vtec is not engaging
Old 02-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no video yet??????
Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Vietnamese!

^^
Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

lol @ the thread . i sure hope the video comes in the next 10 minutes .
Old 02-21-2009, 02:13 PM
pm for noodz

damn!!! you're hitting vtec at 6.1k, i hit vtec at 5.2k in my b16a3
Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

vtec should feel like sex with a Japanese prostitute
Old 02-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92EGMINIME
vtec should feel like sex with a Japanese prostitute
hahaha
Old 02-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay sorry guys i just said screw youtube im using photo bucket, it is still processing at youtube it said processing for nine hours, here it is http://s688.photobucket.com/player.s...fs=1&os=1&ap=1

it is really hard to tell with the audio but i am telling you when it was working normal it was screaming and had such a huge power boost. Know it barely is noticeable if it is even noticeable it just sound like the normal engine sound at higher rpms. BTW the engine has a short ram intake, skunk2 intake mani, header, and apexi ws2 exhaust, from what i have heard it should be screaming i just don't understand it. Does anyone know if the fuel injectors are supposed to dump more when vtec engages. I am trying to think of all possible problems.

Last edited by joelmatt89; 02-21-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboteg90
damn!!! you're hitting vtec at 6.1k, i hit vtec at 5.2k in my b16a3
john vega at phearable.net chipped my ecu and that was what he recommended for my setup. I am pretty sure he knows what he is doing. But it does seem pretty high although it felt pretty good when i was driving it when it was working right
Old 02-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds good to me... you're not suppose to hear a big vtec changeover. you want vtec to transition into the powerband. when vtec kick loud then the car is not running rite. so you're saying that after you install the chipped ecu you dont hear the vtec as well rite? vtec kicking in at 6k prob means thats the best vtec changeover for your motor. does it feel any slower or faster than before? if it doesnt, then dont worry, as long as theres no check engine light.

have you gotten a tune? where do you redline at?

also, my gsr's vtec was at 6k with a jdm b16 ecu. at first it was weird too but man vtec pulled really hard...
Old 02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no the the noise changed after i rewired the vtec so the wires were in the conduit with the rest, it was the same ecu, the weird thing is I know the wiring is good since i am getting the oil pressure after the solenoid, but the car was just jacked up so i could spin the tires. it would be nice to see it on a dyno that would be the real test unfortunatelly i don't have one in my garage yet
Old 02-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay here is a video of what it sounded like before so you can compare it. I just found this on you tube the noise at about 6 seconds and 29 seconds is what it used to sound like. It isn't me or anything but it is something you can compare it to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL-OnU8cTgM&NR=1

Last edited by joelmatt89; 02-21-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that does sound soft, my b16 sounds like the second one. my engine also hits at 6000rpm. as far as why.... no idea, when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hmoobhero
sounds good to me... you're not suppose to hear a big vtec changeover. you want vtec to transition into the powerband. when vtec kick loud then the car is not running rite. so you're saying that after you install the chipped ecu you dont hear the vtec as well rite? vtec kicking in at 6k prob means thats the best vtec changeover for your motor. does it feel any slower or faster than before? if it doesnt, then dont worry, as long as theres no check engine light.

have you gotten a tune? where do you redline at?

also, my gsr's vtec was at 6k with a jdm b16 ecu. at first it was weird too but man vtec pulled really hard...
**** my little b16 screams on vtec crossover i mean sometimes i think it is just to loud.......lol but the car runs amazing and i doubt if you here the crossover that something is wrong
Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ow for the op that will be one hell of a sleeper..lol
Old 02-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having loud vtec just fools you into thinking you're going fast. I think you're good.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't care about the sound it's just that i am just using the sound as an indication that it seems to not be engaging. I feel no power gains. Ten minutes before i reran the wires i could here it and feel the power. If it wasn't for the fact it sounded so different before i wouldn't think there was anything wrong but i just don't understand how it can change so drastically in such short time. Sorry if i am bugging some people about this but i just would like if someone has any possible explanation what would cause the power and sound to change. If anyone could give me a list of exactly what the ecu changes when it engages vtec i would really appreciate it so i could check if everything is "A"okay. Thanks for the fuel filter suggestion i should change that i think i will clean the injectors as well
Old 02-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked anywhere around your vtec solenoid for loose wires that might have gotten disconnected. Only reason why I ask is because I've ran into this problem and had to connect the wires back together, and experienced the same symptoms you were. Check it and if they are loose go for a test drive.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahahha i have the same steering wheel in my hatch

little wheels FTW!!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you look at bone-stock dyno graphs, you'll usually see a big change in torque when vtec hits. This is actually poor selection of the vtec crossover point. Ideally it should be raised or lowered so there is very little difference, as far as maximizing power goes. If you research the technology, it was intended to mix 2 cam profiles - one that makes low-rpm power & dies on top, and another that makes all its power at high-rpm. There will be a spot where the two low/high power curves intersect - that's the perfect vtec setting.

If you want the "mad 3rd gear vt@k" that you can feel like a slap to the face, then raise it to 7k. This will weaken the powerband between ~5k-7k rpm considerably, but SEEM like a huge power increase when vtec engages. It will feel faster, yet be slower.

FYI if it changes the sound/running condition of the motor when engauged far lower/higher than normal, it is working.