Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What kind of power...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of power...

I have a stock D series motor and had been contemplating keep the block and turboing it as opposed to a swap. I guess the first thing should be known is that I'm not looking for a dyno queen, but more of something I can take on road courses and just have some fun with. I'm really just trying to build a well balanced car (braking, suspension, and power wise). The car only has 39k miles on everything and was compression tested the other day with outstanding results. Overall the motor and trans is in great condition.

Here's my question...what kind of power can be seen out of the D16 without worrying about anything breaking. I know it's all in the tune, so for the people running this set up, post any type of pictures, videos, dyno charts, etc...

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of power... (1slwEK)

I have seen setup running 10PSI on a stock D-series motor. The motor produced 225whp. The boost was turned down to 7PSI for DD purposes.

You are going to need a budget to properly fund the project.

You are correct in saying tuning is paramount. Also, look into the fuel system and another important factor is to size the turbo according to the motor. You can run a turbo that is meant for larger displacement, but that will affect when the turbo spools up. But, the advantage is your gas mileage won't suffer as much.

The FAQ and numerous build threads can provide good incite to possible setups that might suit your needs.

There is a good little article that was in Sport Compact Car about Boosting a D16 and a few suggestions. I believe it was Feb 07 IIRC.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before listening to countless people tell you the engine's limits based in PSI, know this: PSI doesn't mean anything as far as engine reliability is concerned. Power is what breaks parts...

For a stock D series block, 220-240whp is the range deemed "safe" by most. The rods in D series engines are toothpick thin and the weakpoint in the bottom end. If you want more power (or the added safety) you can always rebuild your D. An Eagle/Vitara combo is a cheap and effective build for less than $500
Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 AM

Default Re: (Schister66)

That's good to know! So let's say I want o build the shortblock. Crank, rods, pistons, etc...how much will it cost with parts and labor? (Ball park)

And of course, I would get everything to make this turbo set up ideal and function properly. So yes, an appropriate sized turbo for only 1.6 liters, upgraded fuel pump, injectors, etc...

More than anything I wanted to see what people are doing with their D series motors and to see what the highest hp number is (range) while knowing with a good tune, it's completely safe.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Before listening to countless people tell you the engine's limits based in PSI, know this: PSI doesn't mean anything as far as engine reliability is concerned. Power is what breaks parts...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Incorrectly matched components and poor tuning breaks parts more than power level. If power output of an engine was a limiting factor, Top Fuel dragsters wouldn't be making in excess of 5000 hp. And yes, they are built that way to handle it, but they are also tuned to handle it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bafbrian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You are going to need a budget to properly fund the project.

You are correct in saying tuning is paramount. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

All I 'm going to add to that is research and find out as much as you can. And figure out how to read compressor maps if you're going to boost it. Honda doesn't spend millions on R&D to end up producing a shitty car.

Good luck
Old 01-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It isn't very expensive to build a D series. I dont have exact prices, but here's a guess based on my own build.

-Eagle Rods = $300
-Vitara pistons = $150
-Honda HG and Bearings = $100
-Machine work (overbore, deck surfaces, polish crank) = $100-150

After that, build a decent turbo setup around it with a good management system and tune...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It isn't very expensive to build a D series. I dont have exact prices, but here's a guess based on my own build.

-Eagle Rods = $300
-Vitara pistons = $150
-Honda HG and Bearings = $100
-Machine work (overbore, deck surfaces, polish crank) = $100-150

After that, build a decent turbo setup around it with a good management system and tune...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. It shouldn't be too to expensive to build a d-series short block. Since you aren't looking for a dyno queen anyway, I would just boost the stock d-series with a nice setup and call it a day between 180-200 whp. The motor only has 39k miles on it for pete sake! I think you would be very satisfied with those numbers on your daily driver and have a lot of fun