Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird power loss..... HELP!!!! Honda tech gurus needed

Well the setup is as follows:
Car: 99/00 spec Honda Civic Type R
Mods: Absolutely stock

Sympthons: extremely low idling, frequent 'back-fire', power loss, white smoke (only when it goes through this strange period), a unpleasent scent from the exhaust (again only when this period occur) & NO ENGINE CHECK LIGHT...lol

Details: Well lately the car has begun to have this weird power loss and idle issues. Sometimes the car start fine; cold or warm, then with no warning jus starts to idle at about 500 rpm, behaving like it wanna stall out which it sometimes do... Other times it doesnt start well, start having the sympthons explained and then starts operating perfectly fine... This power loss doesnt happen at idle only, you can feel power being loss through out the rpm range... You would try revving the motor to see if things resolve itself but it doesnt make a difference. Now, when u think that there is no hope, it just starts idling fine for a bit and then return to weird period..... Well, as of yesterday the problem has become more consistent.....
I've check my entire fuel system from gas tank to fuel rail and everything check out fine.... I've manage to clean my injectors but im not certain if they could be malfunctioning which would explain this problem im experiencing.... My friends and I thought this could have been a distributor problem but last night i swap dizzy with my friend who owns an ITR .....My dizzy works perfectly fine in his car but the problem still persist in my car with his dizzy... No signs of improvement at all.... Other people have been advising me that i should change my plug leads... They believe that they may be the source of my problems as they show signs of leaking current....
Is there anyone out there who have experienced this problem before??? What do you guys suggest i do to solve this problem.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Weird power loss..... HELP!!!! Honda tech gurus needed

Have you tried a different coolant temp sensor (near thermostat)?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No i havent, but strange enough you mention that my temp. guage seems to reading higher than normal but the car isnt overheating at all.... Its not leaking any coolant.... None of the milky residue under my valve cover oil cap....
How could this be related to the problem im having???
Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a man does it smell like a rotten egg if it does its your spark plugs and the low iddeling might be that you also need a tune up. and the no starting thing it might be your ignition system check it. if its rotor is loose tighten it if not you need a tune up man. the only reason for a wierd smell is that the fuel is old or the spark plugs are funked........
Old 01-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It cant be that the plugs either.... They were changed also.... I had in Denso Iridium plugs when it started and now i have in NGK.... The plugs are perfect bnu... However it seem to be on the rich side but again this is a bone stock motor/car, so there isnt a need for a tune up....
It smells like old fuel, that doesnt burn well.... The gas is ok, also because it doesnt happens to any of my friends Type Rs and we all buy fuel from one gas station. The octane rating is 93 oct here in ANU....
Old 01-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Perhaps i should make a video, so you guys can have a better understanding of the problem....
Old 01-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like a mixture problem, but you need to cover the bases.

-Put a timing light on it and confirm solid spark and proper timing.

-Check your fuel pressure with a gauge.

-Check your compression. I know it sounds weird but white smoke is way bad. You could have a head gasket leak.

If everything checks out then go from there.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good..... I'll take ur advice....
Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Problem solved..... It was rather a simple problem..... It was a wire from my harness, close to the ecu.... Apparently it was just hanging on due improper uninstallation of a V-AFC... Im goin to check the V-AFC diagram and tell you guys which wire it was... It was in the middle connector.....
Its good get that sorted out... I just took it to a techinician to properly solder the spliced wires....