Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Help!!!! Honda tech gurus needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!! Honda tech gurus needed

Well the setup is as follows:
Car: 99/00 spec Honda Civic Type R
Mods: Absolutely stock
Sympthons: extremely low idling, frequent 'back-fire', power loss, white smoke (only when it goes through this strange period), a unpleasent scent from the exhaust (again only when this period occur) & NO ENGINE CHECK LIGHT...lol

Problem: Well lately the car has begun to have this weird power loss and idle issues. Sometimes the car start fine; cold or warm, then with no warning jus starts to idle at about 500 rpm, behaving like it wanna stall out which it sometimes do... Other times it doesnt start well, start having the sympthons explained and then starts operating perfectly fine... This power loss doesnt happen at idle only, you can feel power being loss through out the rpm range... You would try revving the motor to see if things resolve itself but it doesnt make a difference. Now, when u think that there is no hope, it just starts idling fine for a bit and then return to weird period..... Well, as of yesterday the problem has become more consistent.....
I've check my entire fuel system from gas tank to fuel rail and everything check out fine.... I've manage to clean my injectors but im not certain if they could be malfunctioning which would explain this problem im experiencing.... My friends and I thought this could have been a distributor problem but last night i swap dizzy with my friend who owns an ITR .....My dizzy works perfectly fine in his car but the problem still persist in my car with his dizzy... No signs of improvement at all.... Other people have been advising me that i should change my plug leads... They believe that they may be the source of my problems as they show signs of leaking current....
Is there anyone out there who have experienced this problem before??? What do you guys suggest i do to solve this problem.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Help!!!! Honda tech gurus needed

Are you running a cat?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

Head gasket...?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:42 PM

man im having similar prob but mine doesnt have any back fire or smoke..

got 96 civic converted to RHD with ctr harness and i dropped in a b20/gsr tranns was going to put the vtec head but im having issue like similar to yours..

ok first i thought it was my harnesss so i manage to make the USDM harness work in my RHD car.. didnt do sh*t.. ppl think its my DIZZy but like you siad nothign thoguht it was my fuel line was clogged so got fuel press guage and it reads fine. I got tired of lookin for the prob so I replaced everything in the fuel system, ( injectors, rail, aftermarket fuel press reg, filter and also got nes dizy wires and plug. after all that cars still runs like crap.. just the other day borrowed my friends wide band found out that my car runs lean so i turn the fuel press up to 42.. now runs like a champ but couldnt figure out why on stop the idle would drop to 500 and bout to die thats the only thing i couldnt figure out.. but i have a feeling it got some to do with the IAC even its not throwing a code.. its making this weird noise before the idle drop.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plugs? swap in new ones. also try iacv or maby computer. had the same problems and found my computer bad
Old 01-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Problem solved..... It was rather a simple problem..... It was a wire from my harness, close to the ecu.... Apparently it was just hanging on due improper uninstallation of a V-AFC... Im goin to check the V-AFC diagram and tell you guys which wire it was... It was in the middle connector.....
Its good get that sorted out... I just took it to a techinician to properly solder the spliced wires....