Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird CEL problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird CEL problem...

ill be driving normally and the CEL pops up, so i go home and try to check the codes but nothing. so i was like damn, ecu is probably fried, but the car runs fine. no lag, vtec engages without any sign of problems...

but i go and turn on the car, and the CEL goes away. i let the car sit for maybe 15-20 minutes and nothing...

so i take my car out again drive for maybe 15 minutes, taking it up to no more the 5k rpms, and the damn light pops up again. so i go home and try to check for the code but nothing.

its weird. once it pops up it stays on, but once i turn off the car and turn it back on it goes away until maybe 15 minutes of driving(sometimes longer sometimes shorter) and it pops back up...

i went through 500 out 700+ posts on CEL but no one with my problem...please help me out...

car 96 civic dx
jdm itr motor
phearable ecu chipped p28 running crome i believe...
Old 03-06-2006, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Weird CEL problem... (SLoWpOkECiViC)

Go to a auto zone store and have them check your codes. Honda's don't always show the code with a CEL. It could be a past code that wasn't cleared or an o2 sensor is going out. On OBD2 cars there is 2 of them 1 off the header and one after the cat.
Let me know if that dosen't work k
If you want take a paper clip and stick it in the little blue clip where they plug the diagnostics computer in and turn you key to the on position.Wait a min then count the CEL flashes= that is the code!!
Ask someone to show you how to read the CEL light if you don't know how, it takes a bit of practice.
Good luck let me know if you need more info email me k
Old 03-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this problem also and I swapped ecu's. old p28 for a new one and the problem went away. I couldnt pull up a code cause it went away after I shut it off. not the answer you probably wanted but this is what happened with me.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try resetting the ECU. Pull the ECU fuse out for a few minutes then plug it back in.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird CEL problem... (Tec Z)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tec Z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to a auto zone store and have them check your codes. Honda's don't always show the code with a CEL. It could be a past code that wasn't cleared or an o2 sensor is going out. On OBD2 cars there is 2 of them 1 off the header and one after the cat.
Let me know if that dosen't work k
If you want take a paper clip and stick it in the little blue clip where they plug the diagnostics computer in and turn you key to the on position.Wait a min then count the CEL flashes= that is the code!!
Ask someone to show you how to read the CEL light if you don't know how, it takes a bit of practice.
Good luck let me know if you need more info email me k</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know how to check codes...but the CEL doesnt stay on for me to check..when it pops up i turn off the car to try and check for a code...but when i turn the car back on, it disappears

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1dumbassscreenname &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had this problem also and I swapped ecu's. old p28 for a new one and the problem went away. I couldnt pull up a code cause it went away after I shut it off. not the answer you probably wanted but this is what happened with me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
man this sucks...the ecu that im using now is new...sort of..
Old 03-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know the problam or even better, a solution?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 AM

bump, my civic is doing the same =[
Old 03-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take it to Honda, they can hook up the pgm tester to it and check you temporary codes, usually after market testers cannot pull these up. If that doesn't work they will have to drive your car with the pgm tester hooked up until the CEL comes on. Good luck
Old 03-09-2006, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLoWpOkECiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill be driving normally and the CEL pops up, so i go home and try to check the codes but nothing. so i was like damn, ecu is probably fried, but the car runs fine. no lag, vtec engages without any sign of problems...

but i go and turn on the car, and the CEL goes away. i let the car sit for maybe 15-20 minutes and nothing...

so i take my car out again drive for maybe 15 minutes, taking it up to no more the 5k rpms, and the damn light pops up again. so i go home and try to check for the code but nothing.

its weird. once it pops up it stays on, but once i turn off the car and turn it back on it goes away until maybe 15 minutes of driving(sometimes longer sometimes shorter) and it pops back up...

i went through 500 out 700+ posts on CEL but no one with my problem...please help me out...

car 96 civic dx
jdm itr motor
phearable ecu chipped p28 running crome i believe...</TD></TR></TABLE>

What code are you throwing ?
You are more then welcome to send the ecu back to have it checked out for issues.

Thanks,
John Vega - Phearable.net
Old 03-09-2006, 03:00 AM

its probably your o2 sensor
Old 03-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird CEL problem... (white eg in tha LBC)

i figured it was my o2 sensor, but i just got that replaced...and i even tried switching with my friends and same thing...