Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wanted to get flywheel recommendations based on other people's experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted to get flywheel recommendations based on other people's experience

Hey Honda-Tech members,

I currently drive a 92 civic hatch back with a JDM B16A2 Swap. Engine is rated* at 170hp (of course not to the wheels) with jdm 98spec 4-1 ITR headers, with a straight pipe. Also have a FEEL's intake, that's about it for performance mods. I currently have a stage1 clutch, and will be swapping out my tranny with a 98spec ITR LSD tranny.

I wanted to ask what Honda-Tech members would recommend if I were to swap out my flywheel to a lighter one. I am more about corners than drag, and was thinking about a 12lb flywheel. What is your input? 9lb? 12lb? 15lb (stock ITR flywheel)?

I am thinking 12lb will give me a good performance for both launch (much easier to launch I am thinking than a 8-9lb flywheel) and still give me good power on the corners.

Give me your opinion, thanks!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Wanted to get flywheel recommendations based on other people's experience

Google doesnt work on your computer?
If you search and use honda-tech in the search string... you'll find what you are looking for.
Or you could go to the transmission thread and look there.
FYI your flywheel doesnt help you in the corners...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Wanted to get flywheel recommendations based on other people's experience

A flywheel will help you accelerate out of the corners though.

OP, this is the absolute most important question you need to ask yourself. Are you going to boost, or stay N/A? If you plan on boosting, stick with the stock weight. If you plan on staying N/A, get the lightest flywheel you can find, and learn how to drive with it. It's as simple as that.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Equipment doesnt make your car better in all cases.
Its how you drive the said equipment that makes more of a difference.
The OP can have the lightest flywheel in the world but if he cant drive the car for ish... it does him no good.
HP gains from a lighter flywheel are not significant to warrant the expense on a street car.
If you have the budget to deck a street car into a psudo track car .. great go for it.
But if basing a need for a lighter flywheel because of HP or performance gains is what one is thinking?
Its a waste of funds.

Last edited by dirty19; 01-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought a b16a2 was a USdm motor. Ok and it looks like a edm motor as well. I think stock ponies on that engine also is 160

Last edited by RT_NEWYORK; 01-30-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: More info
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a JDM B16A motor, just said a2 because it is not a cable tranny, it was out of a eg civic sir. Yes the flywheel will not necessarily help in the corners but will help with exiting speed.

I am sticking with NA, its my summer DD, just looking to give the car a bit more peppy feeling, faster acceleration. I wanted to get peoples thoughts for a 12lb flywheel, I was thinking it can give me a good balance between launching/drag and over all driving. I wanted to see, as having this car as a DD, if having say an 8lb flywheel is a pain in the *** to drive with as opposed to something like a 12lb flywheel. Wanted to hear other peoples experiences.

I am swapping out the tranny anyways with an ITR tranny for the upgraded LSD and slightly* better gear ratio. Since I am removing my current tranny, I plan to change the clutch and the flywheel while its out since it is a fairly affordable upgrade.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Fidanza 7 1/2 pound flywheel and I like it. Been using it for 3 years and no problems. Revs out pretty quick, takes a little getting used when starting at first.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
A flywheel will help you accelerate out of the corners though.

OP, this is the absolute most important question you need to ask yourself. Are you going to boost, or stay N/A? If you plan on boosting, stick with the stock weight. If you plan on staying N/A, get the lightest flywheel you can find, and learn how to drive with it. It's as simple as that.

I respectfully disagree.

I have a Toda chromoly 9lb flywheel on my turbo itr and love the responsiveness of it.

I also have a comptech Al 7lb flywheel on my c5 swapped ef autox car.
I love it too.

There is no downside to a lightened flywheel IMO - maybe if you consider relearning how fast the rpm's drop, but that's really not an issue.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.streetperformance.com/SPE...pany_id=101343
This is what im running a 7.5 lb Fidanza mated with Exedy stage 1 clutch on my B16, engine response is great. You do have to get used to driving it though, not that difficult.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a 8 pound fidanza. I loved it, the only draw back is that you need to be concious of rev matching between gear changes, otherwise you tend to get a jerky shift. The 12 pound should offer a good medium between the stock weight and the lighter "race" flywheels.

Really though it boils down to your own preference, as you can see by the responces everybody has their own opinions of what is best.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black R
There is no downside to a lightened flywheel IMO - maybe if you consider relearning how fast the rpm's drop, but that's really not an issue.
I've seen turbo cars or highly modified engines with lighter flywheels blow up. Very well could be the manufacturer but just pointing this out.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Emeraldbomber
I've seen turbo cars or highly modified engines with lighter flywheels blow up.
Are speaking of high HP cars blowing apart the clutch and or flywheels? Seen this happen before on domestic cars such as--
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_phunk
Are speaking of high HP cars blowing apart the clutch and or flywheels? Seen this happen before on domestic cars such as
Yes, this is what I am talking about. Not necessarily blow up but lose pieces under torque overtime. Happened on my buddies 240, ruined his motor and tranny. Damn was that a mess!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow finally some real replies!

sweet, so from what I can see, most people seem to like the lighter flywheel for maximum responsiveness & acceleration, just need to get use to the rev drops. Probably will not end up going as light as 7 - 8 lbs flywheel, but starting to consider a 9lb flywheel. Maybe 12lb is still too heavy if everyone is saying 7-8lb flywheel is awesome provided you get use to the rev match and drop.

Thanks for the input Emeraldbomber, Black R, jdm_phunk and Ryan96GSR

If anyone here on Honda-tech has used a 12lb flywheel I would like to hear their experience.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_phunk
Are speaking of high HP cars blowing apart the clutch and or flywheels? Seen this happen before on domestic cars such as-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJtJUVyEyYY
It was really saddening seeing that happen to such a nice car...