Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change?

Can anyone tell me, what is the full advantage aftermarket flywheel on ITR?
I'm saying does anyone know the full spec of factory ITR flywheels, I'm doing clutch change and people are saying change flywheel too to aftermarket. And I'm thinking isn't the ITR flywheel premium enough in terms of functional specs. Also if one was running turbo setup on itr say 7-15psi, wouldn't a light flywheel crack with all that power. Pls your input would be helpful.
Also if this is the other case(i.e aftermarket flywheel better), can you list any you know. i.e you are sure its better than factory ITR spec.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (dexy)

I would say it depends greatly on what type of driving/racing your doing. I would recommend a heavier flywheel for "street" driving,..and a lightweight one if drag racing is your deal.

The lighter the flywheel the quicker it can rev,..but that carries it con's as well as pro's.

D-
Old 01-15-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (MUGEN2PT2)

I have my stock JDM spec flywheel, so what category would that fall in. Well I'm looking for pretty much street power driver spec. i.e I'm planning to do full turbo setup. I'm not sure maybe just leave my factory flywheel on. I'm about to a clutch change, and I wanted to know if to do flywheel or just leave the one I have now on.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the ITR flywheel is around 15 lbs. Changing to a lighter flywheel changes rotational weight on the motor. Most of the advantage is felt in 1st and 2nd gears. As for running a turbo, personally I kept the stock one in my H22. Revs out fast enough as it is, and is only going to get worse as I up boost and tune it.

Jason
Old 01-15-2005, 09:58 AM

If you're doing a clutch change I'd definately do a flywheel too. As for saying the ITR flywheel is premium enough, then why mod the car at all it especially with a turbo? With that logic, a stock B18C5 should be premium enough Seriously, the OEM one is decent, but there's better out there.

I personally plan to get a Toda sometime in the spring. It's all about rotational mass and acceleration.

As for your origional question of 'Can anyone tell me, what is the full advantage aftermarket flywheel on ITR'
I'd say read through the FAQ https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=766629. there are tons of good discussions on flywheels in there
Old 01-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (pyromaster)

If you are going turbo, just keep the stock one.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:03 AM

thanks, yea someone(offline) was just telling me bout that, that the itr flywheel stock is bout 14.6lbs, so and 8lbs one would definately make a difference. But yea, I think its more efficient to do both clutch and flywheel at same time(saving labor time). Some friend was telling me go with ACT clutch and flywheel pair, and some other was saying get toda flywheel. Well I'm still searching...
Old 01-15-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (B2FiNiTY)

Thats what I've been thinking, (can you tell me why). i.e I'm not so sure of myself what is the better decision, but I'm definately going turbo this summer. Like a T3 on 7psi.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B2FiNiTY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are going turbo, just keep the stock one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Interesting. Would you elaborate on why? I'm not disagreeing or calling BS or anything, just curious.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm assuming that he is building a turbo setup for drag applications therefore you need the heavier flywheel for inertia to get off the line.

As far as not drag racing, no downsides to getting a light flywheel.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are replacing the clutch you might as well replace the flywheel with an aftermarket piece at the same time if that's your intention in the long run but it's unnecessary. Just resurface the stock piece if necessary.

Comptech flywheel = IMO
Old 01-15-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (Hybrid ctr)

Just thought I would add my .02... People say that lightweight flywheels and street driving do not mix due to the lack of low speed drivability. The statement has truth but not enough to negate the benefit of the increased throttle response. For turbo applications I would say the same thing, though it may cause issues getting off the line I believe it would yield higher trap speeds at the end of the run. If you can afford the upgrade from stock ITR which I believe is around 12 lbs. to a lighter weight you would no doubt see benefit.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (Hybrid ctr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid ctr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Comptech flywheel = IMO</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no real need to change it unless you damaged the stock or just want to change it.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (Bbasso)

If in fact you decide to keep your stock flywheel, it is good practice to at least resurface it...
Old 01-16-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (jdmvtec28)

This feels like one of those air intake exhaust mod type of effects. Well I'll just have to change it and see for myself (thats how most aftermarket modding ends up).
Old 01-19-2005, 11:04 PM

i have an aftermarket flywheel and I use my car for street driving

at first, I was skeptical about its benefits. after I got it installed, I fell in love with it...the car revs a lot faster and feels like its got a lot more torque...better gas mileage...to me, THERE ARE NO NEGATIVES FOR USING IT ON THE STREETS! I drive my car the same way I drove it before I got the flywheel installed

btw, my car is making a fair bit of power (200whp) and I still feel the difference after the flywheel install
Old 01-20-2005, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dexy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This feels like one of those air intake exhaust mod type of effects. Well I'll just have to change it and see for myself (thats how most aftermarket modding ends up).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely not. If you do go to a LW FW you will definitely be aware of it when you drive.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:39 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (Type-Rare#1248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type-Rare#1248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have an aftermarket flywheel and I use my car for street driving

THERE ARE NO NEGATIVES FOR USING IT ON THE STREETS! </TD></TR></TABLE>

There are different kinds of lightweight flywheels. Some of them are really quite light, and the revs fall off so quickly that some people have to learn shifting again because it's a bit jerky while you're re-learning.

What lightweight flywheel do you have?
Old 01-20-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (George Knighton)

I have had my JUN U/L F/W for 4 yrs. I've had my car for 4 yrs, going on 5. I drive my ITR everyday. I use it for work sometimes. I can't understand why you would think that it would hinder everyday driving at all. The car feels soooo much better than it did. I couldn't imagine not having it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lightweight F/W
Old 01-20-2005, 08:51 AM

i would go act their flywheel is 7.5 pounds but its placed so that in normal driving it still fells like stock but you can definately feel the difference when accelerating at wot.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (someday)

I have a Comptech 6.75 lbs flywheel in my dailly driven ITR... it feels like stock but sometime first gear is kind of jerky on the slow starts. It revs super fast and slow down very fast once you are off the gas... Great product!!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: FLYWHEEL: do you really need to change? (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There are different kinds of lightweight flywheels. Some of them are really quite light, and the revs fall off so quickly that some people have to learn shifting again because it's a bit jerky while you're re-learning.

What lightweight flywheel do you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am running a fidanza flywheel right now
Old 01-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (someday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by someday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would go act their flywheel is 7.5 pounds but its placed so that in normal driving it still fells like stock but you can definately feel the difference when accelerating at wot.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's funny, cuz my experiences with lightweight flywheels have been the complete opposite. Is something about the way the ACT is placed that makes it work differently from any other lightweight flywheel?

Lightweight flywheels feel great though. I don't think they free up all that much parasitic loss, but it makes matching revs a dream. It just makes the car feel that much quicker.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Re: (all)

Thanks for feedback all, I also did my own research + all the feedback. it looks like the goal is to average between how fast you rev and how fast that rev will hold when u disengage to shift(depending on ur shifting time) or when you let go of gas. So kinda like the flywheel steals some energy off your engine to store, so when revving up it takes longer to rev up if u gat heavy flywheel and lighter flywheel is quicker rev.

Now on the other hand, when you let go of power(gas pedal) to shift, your engine RPM will slow down faster if have lighter flywheel, and slower if u have heavier flywheel. So lets assume you are a lazy bum while shifting, the flywheel will still save ur day, as the rpm's will still hold up (say in vtec) longer than someone with a lighter flywheel. Now on the other hand say you are the fastest shifter on earth, then lighter flywheel is way to go. but u can't go too light either, as(no matter what u do) there is a minimum delay needed to change from one gear to the other and differs per car/shift linkage e.t.c So the ideal case is to balance both for optimal performance depending on your driving needs.

Story short, I picked up and ACT prolite flywheel. Hopefully this is optimal for me, as I depend on my car solely for optimal acceleration from point A to B, vs just getting from point A to B. I still haven't installed it though. Damn I gatta tow my car or something to the shop, my damaged clutch wont engage/disengage at the moment. such a pain these machines.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I miss my Toda flywheel. I miss being able to hit the high rpms faster.
Most of all my right foot gets bored now; because I can put a steady amount of pressure on the gas pedal and maintain the same speed. (Gets annoying on those LA to SD and SD to LA commutes)
:foot falls asleep again: Ahh dammit, not again! :stomps foot on ground: