Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTEC wiring on EJ2....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VTEC wiring on EJ2....

Ok so i have a 94 dx coupe, D15B swap, P28 ecu... Well I havent wired up the P28 yet so im still on P06 non vtec ecu Well after my vague search on Pinouts for P28 for my car all I could find was P30 pin layout.. Well i finally rip out my old ecu and run my vtec wires through the firewall getting all excited cuz i'm almost done, just gotta plug the pins into the harness i notice, that in slot A4 on the harness where the Vtec solenoid i believe goes, theres a black wire in that spot already... Anyone have any clue wtf that is all about?? Is there a diff slot that should go in maybe??? I've also searched for P06 pin layout and found just about all of NOTHING..!! So I have no clue what that wire is.. I looked in my chilton in the back where the wiring diagram is, but i'm not as smart as i thought i was when it comes to reading those things haha.. Anyone else have this problem or have a resolution, preciate it guys..
Old 05-06-2005, 06:40 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: VTEC wiring on EJ2.... (JDM_SOHC)

The EJ is already wired for VTEC, all you would need to wire is from the motor to the clips under the hood. Now if you were adding a B-series then you would have to bring the knock sensor all the way to the ECU, otherwise you are all good. The VTEC solenoid wire will go from there to the C103/C212 junction under the hood. Usually this wire is GRN/YEL up to this clip. From there is should be ORN/WHT but it may be different. From that junction it goes right to A4.. Let me know what you discover..
Old 05-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC wiring on EJ2.... (HondaFanatic708)

But i have 94 DX though, not EX... So i was non vtec to start off with, so I have to run the VTEC wires to ECU.... Bauley helped me out with his write up a little bit, but I still am having problems with the wiring.. If i was prewired it would just be plug-n-play, but it's not that simple in my case haha... Not to hard either just sorta confused, i appreciate the prompt response though..
Old 05-06-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: VTEC wiring on EJ2.... (JDM_SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But i have 94 DX though, not EX... So i was non vtec to start off with, so I have to run the VTEC wires to ECU.... Bauley helped me out with his write up a little bit, but I still am having problems with the wiring.. If i was prewired it would just be plug-n-play, but it's not that simple in my case haha... Not to hard either just sorta confused, i appreciate the prompt response though.. </TD></TR></TABLE>Well my EJ EX (93) came non-vtec and it was already pre-wired for VTEC. If you check with your local honda dealer, all chassis wiring harnesses from the EG/EJ have the same part numbers. Just like if you wanted to add AC, your car didn't come with it but it would be plug and play, just like your D15B. If there is already a wire in A4 then I know your in the same boat as I was. When I blew the **** out of the wimpy USDM non-VTEC motor that came in my car a D15B longblock was dropped in and BLAMM, VTEC worked without any additional wiring. But anyway run that wire to A4 and run the BLU/BLK off the VTEC pressure switch to the D6 terminal. I know once you do this you'll be all good.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC wiring on EJ2.... (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well my EJ EX (93) came non-vtec and it was already pre-wired for VTEC. .</TD></TR></TABLE>
92's and early production 93s had all the vtec wiring, but later 93+ didn't.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=919292

A4 should be an ORG/WHT to the canon plug (ECU side is C212, engine side is C103) from the ECU, from there (canon plug) to teh motor, it should beGRN/YEL.

So, look at the canon plug for a solid black wireif it has nothing on the otherside (enginebay harness) you can wire to there and be done, if it does, see where it goes, but it shouldn't.

Just so you know, if you look at the canon plug from the top, the black wire your looking for, where the ORN/WHT one should be will be on the top row on the left if looking into the plug. Hope that doesn't confuse.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:57 AM

Default Re: (92b16vx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=919292

A4 should be an ORG/WHT to the canon plug (ECU side is C212, engine side is C103) from the ECU, from there (canon plug) to teh motor, it should beGRN/YEL.

So, look at the canon plug for a solid black wireif it has nothing on the otherside (enginebay harness) you can wire to there and be done, if it does, see where it goes, but it shouldn't.

Just so you know, if you look at the canon plug from the top, the black wire your looking for, where the ORN/WHT one should be will be on the top row on the left if looking into the plug. Hope that doesn't confuse.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Why run a new wire if there is one there. Thanks bro, I learned that the later prod 93 and up didn't have VTEC pre-wired. I was unaware of this. I guess because I have always bought early production 93 or older EJs. Do you know where the cut-off on this is, like roughly which month of production they stopped it?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Why run a new wire if there is one there. Thanks bro, I learned that the later prod 93 and up didn't have VTEC pre-wired. I was unaware of this. I guess because I have always bought early production 93 or older EJs. Do you know where the cut-off on this is, like roughly which month of production they stopped it? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I wish, it comes up often.

Both the 94 Civic Helms, and the Chiltons say that it should be a ORG/WHT wire at the ECU, maybe Honda decided to use black in ones that don't have VTEC.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I wish, it comes up often.

Both the 94 Civic Helms, and the Chiltons say that it should be a ORG/WHT wire at the ECU, maybe Honda decided to use black in ones that don't have VTEC.</TD></TR></TABLE> I know I'm working with this other Kid who insists his 92CX hatch isn't pre-wired for it. It only makes sense to have one harness manufactured and put it all the cars. The cost of a few extra feet of wire doesn't even compare to the costs involved if one without VTEC was installed in a VTEC car during production. I will try to dig up some more info on this subject matter. Now RU sure they stopped doing it, like 100% sure?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=919292

Just so you know, if you look at the canon plug from the top, the black wire your looking for, where the ORN/WHT one should be will be on the top row on the left if looking into the plug. Hope that doesn't confuse.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, thanks for that post..!! I mean, I still am very confused but it helped out a lot cuz of the pics... But one of my buddies wired my vtec a few weeks ago, than my FITV start making my idle surge, so me being the non patient italian lunatic I am, took the wires out of the plug and put the stock P06 ecu back in because I thought it was the ECU causing the problems.. Well sure as ****, as soon as i started the car up the idle still surged, than just a few days ago i found out it was FITV, so I did a search for wiring vtec "ran across urs" and i found out the slots for the Vtec wires, and http://www.pgmfi.org helped me out a little, so I get down in there and look and see that where it says the wires go, theres already a wire there...!! And I cant get ahold of the dude that wired it for me so im like AHHH..!!

non vtec
Old 05-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I know I'm working with this other Kid who insists his 92CX hatch isn't pre-wired for it. It only makes sense to have one harness manufactured and put it all the cars. The cost of a few extra feet of wire doesn't even compare to the costs involved if one without VTEC was installed in a VTEC car during production. I will try to dig up some more info on this subject matter. Now RU sure they stopped doing it, like 100% sure? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I am 100% sure my 95 CX didn't have any wires to A4 and D6. I am 100% sure that others have reported the same for various models and years after 93. I am not 100% sure that EVERY non vtec model for EVERY year after X month in 93 doesn't have wires there.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i know for sure that my 93 coupe wasnt pre-wired wish i could help but my homboy wired mine up for me...
Old 05-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dewoine)

well yeah, theres a plain black wire in my A4 spot.... I have no clue what it is, i tried to run it back to the canon plug but i couldnt find an all plain black wire... Nobody else has ever had this issue?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: (dewoine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dewoine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i know for sure that my 93 coupe wasnt pre-wired wish i could help but my homboy wired mine up for me...</TD></TR></TABLE>I actually have a 93 EX coupe and mine IS pre-wired. Go out to your car and look on the drivers door jam, tell me the production month. On that sticker with the vin there will be a little XX/93 what does the XX say, early production 93's had it, mine is a march production. PLEASE I NEED THIS INFO, I nee to narrow down to the month when it wasn't pre-wired.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (JDM_SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well yeah, theres a plain black wire in my A4 spot.... I have no clue what it is, i tried to run it back to the canon plug but i couldnt find an all plain black wire... Nobody else has ever had this issue?</TD></TR></TABLE> I personally didn't but this kiddoes.
And I'm sure plenty of other people have as well.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I actually have a 93 EX coupe and mine IS pre-wired. Go out to your car and look on the drivers door jam, tell me the production month. On that sticker with the vin there will be a little XX/93 what does the XX say, early production 93's had it, mine is a march production. PLEASE I NEED THIS INFO, I nee to narrow down to the month when it wasn't pre-wired. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Of course it's pre wired, it's a vtec motor