Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

vtec light in an ej8, wired to cruise control indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec light in an ej8, wired to cruise control indicator light

***EDITED***
i've included digrams of the wiring harness that plugs into the ecu so those who don't know can find the right wire. you can get the wire anywhere between the ecu and the vtec solenoid, but if you splice it in the engine bay, you'll have to run it through the firewall. i find it a lot easier just to get the wire near the ecu. but do whatever the hell you want. i just reproduced these from the helms manual. 96-98 is on the left, 99-00 on the right.

i suppose you could call this a how-to, although it is only part if the install. please move this if there is a better place for it.

i finally did this yesterday. i read a few how-to's on it, but they all used some sort of led with a lame *** paper "VTEC" label as the indicator light. i didn't want to screw with an extra light, so i checked into using an existing light in my cluster. since i elimated my cruise control, and the indicator light is right by the tach and nice and visible, i chose it.

since i elimated my cruise, i just completely cut off the wires and soldered the new ones on. BUT, if you just spliced into the wires, i don't see why this wouldn't work if you are still utilizing cruise control. (but don't hold me to it. if you try it, feel free to post the results) because when you are ripping through the gears hitting the vtec range, you won't be using cruise control (duh...) and likewise, when you are using cruise, you shouldn't be in vtec range. unless you set cruise when your in 3rd doing 80mph or some crazy ****

i also just left the indicator light as-is, meaning it still lights up green and says "cruise control". i know what the light is for, so i think its fine. but you could always make your own label or whatever. make it red, and say "VTEC BABY!". that would be mad tight...yo.

anyway, here's a diagram of the green cruise control plug that plugs into the back of the cluster. i did this on my 96 ex, and it should be the same for all 96-00 ex's, and i would think lx's would be the same as well (if you swapped for vtec). and of course the 99-00 si is the same too, if you wanted to put a light on that. i have no idea about previous/later generations, so you'll have to find out yourself.

by connecting the red wire with blue stripe to ground, you are basically by-passing the cruise unit and using the indicator light as any other 12v (+) indicator light or led. if you splice the wires and still use cruise, this is where i could see a problem. by connecting the red wire w/ blue stripe to ground, the light may just stay on all the time. but i'm not sure. again, if you try it, feel free to post.

thats about it. if for some reason you can't understand the diagram, and you have questions, send me an IM. but, i'll probably just laugh at you because i think it is pretty simple...

enjoy

Modified by lj17 at 5:38 PM 10/22/2004
Old 10-21-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Re: vtec light in an ej8, wired to cruise control indicator light (lj17)

Where is this VTEC trigger you speak of? I would love to wire a VTEC light but havent the slightest where to start.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Electrician

So do you REALLY have to know when VTEC engages?
Old 10-21-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: (Dimi)

Nah, I figure its just another pretty dancing light like my air/fuel gauge Besides - any idiot can feel it when VTEC kicks in. *KICK* ouch.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where is this VTEC trigger you speak of? I would love to wire a VTEC light but havent the slightest where to start.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is the green wire w/ a yellow stripe that activates vtec. it is located in the gray 32 pin connector of the ecu (the bigger one, may be different for 99-00s)
if you want, i can make a diagram of the connector so you know for sure. let me know.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So do you REALLY have to know when VTEC engages?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no
Old 10-21-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Re: (lj17)

yes please!
Old 10-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SRCivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes please!</TD></TR></TABLE>

give me a little bit...
Old 10-21-2004, 10:27 PM
official honda whore

Default Re: (lj17)

although i think vtec light is kinda ghey, just to let you know its impossible to engage vtec when using cruise control
Old 10-22-2004, 12:32 AM

Default Re: (coptzer)

not so you can be in cruise control setting and then press the resume/accel button the steering wheel slowly but surely engages vtec after the certain rpm whatever yours may be set at.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coptzer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coptzer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">although i think vtec light is kinda ghey, just to let you know its impossible to engage vtec when using cruise control </TD></TR></TABLE>

i actually only used cruise about 3 times before i removed it, so i have no idea. anyway, my point was that you should never be using cruise and vtec at the same time. even if it is possible (according to 1993sir05), you would be a retarded dumbass for doing it. and futher, if everything did work okay, the indicator light would be on regardless, showing both vtec and cruise control were engaged.