Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY: VTEC Indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: VTEC Indicator light

there are 2 ways to do this... im posting the way i did it and the easiest way for me...

heres what you are doing. it will help make more sense out of stuff... the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) activates the VTEC syatem by sending a 12 volt signal to the solenoid. We want to hook up a light in parallel with this solenoid and steal a little power so the light is on when VTEC is activated.

Pls read everything before going and buying anything...

MATERIALS NEEDED:

12 volt LED light
Wire(16 gaude wire is what i used. Red and black to represent positeve and negative
a 12 volt capacitor

TOOLS NEEDED;

wire cutters
electrical tape
drill w/ bits
soldering iron

First thing is deciding where you wanna put the light... i put mine where the car alarm indicator light goes. its the space at the left side of your dashboard(mine is a civic sir left hand drive)where there are 2 detachacble thing that you can take off. You can put it really anywhere you want it. next drill a hole if necessary where you wanna put the light. disconect the negative battery terminal as when wiring anything..solder the 12v capacitor to the (+) of the LED and solder it to the (+) wire(red) and solder also the(-) wire(black) to the negative side of the LED. Run the wire to your ECU hiding it as much as possible.

ECU METHOD..

First you must locate your ECU. Its is mounted on the passenger side of the car. Once you found your ECU locate the GREEN WIRE with the YELLOW stripes on it. This should be the VTEC wire. I know it was on my car and its the same in Accord. now ran the wire coming from your LED and splice and connect the (+) wire of the LED(red wire) to the GRN/YLW wire coming from the ECU. make sure your connections are tight and taped. then locate where you can ground the (-) wire coming from the LED(black). there should be a bolt nearby where you attached you LED light and use it for your ground. Now check your connection and make sure its cool.!!!.

Okay assuming you wired all your stuff right and it's a good connection, you should be ready to go. remember it is not just turning your car on and rev it up!!! VTEC WILL NOT ENGAGED!!!

just take your car for a ride, get on a little bit and get the engine warm up nicely and then open it up.... to at least 6500 rpm on your 1st gear, hopefully your VTEC will engage and you will see the pretty little light shining on you.

I hope it all make sense, i's really my 1st DIY ive typed up.. if you are confused by this i might be able to find the old DIY I had when i intalled mine, or just post questions on here and i might be able to answer them.

REMEMBER... BE CAREFUL AND DON'T CUT ANY WIRES THAT ARE EXIXTING IN YOUR CAR... thats not ever good.... and i'm not responsible for aNYTHING YOU SCREW UP... WORK AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!....

Enjoy your new VTEC light.... drive safely and responsibly....
Old 05-20-2008, 01:28 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (jtfc3s)

cool
Old 05-20-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Re: (DCFryARGHHH)

i didnt know that these things were still cool ?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:50 PM

Default Re: (90hatchblack)

you need a light to tell you when your Vtec engages?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 PM

Default Re: (specv5150)

yes if want to. if you want to know that your vtec has engage. for some other reasons like fuel efficient or just for the kicks of it. That is the led light.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (silverblue888)

nice info!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (ptftw)

The added current draw from the LED on the ECU isn't something I would rate as "cool".. I'm not a complete electronics expert but I can tell you that you are adding to the draw on the circuit, which I can't image was engineered to supply much more current then that needed to open the solenoid to begin with. Honestly, if you need a light to tell when Vtec is on, you shouldn't be "racing" or anything else that I would assume you are using this light to help you out with...
Old 05-20-2008, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (Hybrid96EK)

i wouldnt recomened this really. any time you start cutting and splicing wires on the harness (esspecially next to the ECM) you risk the chance of causing a short, or possibly frying out all your wires. ive seen it happen from someone doing something like this, his car was smoking quite nicely from under the dash as all the wires melted togeather
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default vtec wire

i tryed to hook up my friends vtec to his horn lol fail....didnt work i was bummed .....i tryed again and again until he finally smashed the horn with a hammer ...just thought i would share ...funny story at least to me
Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know the light would still activate without a "12 volt capacitor", but will it affect the cross over of vtec without a capacitor.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:24 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xxwhixx
i tryed to hook up my friends vtec to his horn lol fail....didnt work i was bummed .....i tryed again and again until he finally smashed the horn with a hammer ...just thought i would share ...funny story at least to me
WTF?! So it would honk when he hit vtaaak and everyone would know to get out of the way?

to each his own, I guess.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY: VTEC Indicator light

horn setup is chill...
Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is failure at its finest. what a ricer/wasteful move. get the 5" tach and shiftlight wired up too.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by silverblue888
there are 2 ways to do this... im posting the way i did it and the easiest way for me...

heres what you are doing. it will help make more sense out of stuff... the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) activates the VTEC syatem by sending a 12 volt signal to the solenoid. We want to hook up a light in parallel with this solenoid and steal a little power so the light is on when VTEC is activated.

Pls read everything before going and buying anything...

MATERIALS NEEDED:

12 volt LED light
Wire(16 gaude wire is what i used. Red and black to represent positeve and negative
a 12 volt capacitor

TOOLS NEEDED;

wire cutters
electrical tape
drill w/ bits
soldering iron

First thing is deciding where you wanna put the light... i put mine where the car alarm indicator light goes. its the space at the left side of your dashboard(mine is a civic sir left hand drive)where there are 2 detachacble thing that you can take off. You can put it really anywhere you want it. next drill a hole if necessary where you wanna put the light. disconect the negative battery terminal as when wiring anything..solder the 12v capacitor to the (+) of the LED and solder it to the (+) wire(red) and solder also the(-) wire(black) to the negative side of the LED. Run the wire to your ECU hiding it as much as possible.

ECU METHOD..

First you must locate your ECU. Its is mounted on the passenger side of the car. Once you found your ECU locate the GREEN WIRE with the YELLOW stripes on it. This should be the VTEC wire. I know it was on my car and its the same in Accord. now ran the wire coming from your LED and splice and connect the (+) wire of the LED(red wire) to the GRN/YLW wire coming from the ECU. make sure your connections are tight and taped. then locate where you can ground the (-) wire coming from the LED(black). there should be a bolt nearby where you attached you LED light and use it for your ground. Now check your connection and make sure its cool.!!!.

Okay assuming you wired all your stuff right and it's a good connection, you should be ready to go. remember it is not just turning your car on and rev it up!!! VTEC WILL NOT ENGAGED!!!

just take your car for a ride, get on a little bit and get the engine warm up nicely and then open it up.... to at least 6500 rpm on your 1st gear, hopefully your VTEC will engage and you will see the pretty little light shining on you.

I hope it all make sense, i's really my 1st DIY ive typed up.. if you are confused by this i might be able to find the old DIY I had when i intalled mine, or just post questions on here and i might be able to answer them.

REMEMBER... BE CAREFUL AND DON'T CUT ANY WIRES THAT ARE EXIXTING IN YOUR CAR... thats not ever good.... and i'm not responsible for aNYTHING YOU SCREW UP... WORK AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!....

Enjoy your new VTEC light.... drive safely and responsibly....

No way dude it would kick in at above 4000 rpm on my Snap-on Modis it has a program that you can test your Vtec solenoid and it says put it in first gear and rev it past 4000rpm for two seconds to see if it engages.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
WTF?! So it would honk when he hit vtaaak and everyone would know to get out of the way?
to each his own, I guess.
LMAO!! sorry guys i had to revive this thread cuzza this sht right here^^
Old 08-21-2011, 05:15 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesEK
LMAO!! sorry guys i had to revive this thread cuzza this sht right here^^
No you didn't. Really.