Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vitara Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 Vitara Pistons

Rebuilding my D16Z6 motor and wanting to put in Vitara Pistons. I'm having a hard time finding a reliable online store to buy these. Does anyone know a reliable store I can go to online to buy a set? I dont do ebay.... Thanks.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Vitara Pistons

There's this great thing called Google. Know how I know you didn't try? Third link down.

http://bit.ly/10mk3XP

Also, if you aren't boosting, it is completely counter-productive to run vitaras.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i plan on boosting it. not right away tho... would it be ok to run on these for a few months before thowing a turbo on?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tollickj
yeah i plan on boosting it. not right away tho... would it be ok to run on these for a few months before thowing a turbo on?
I wouldn't run these stock.

Basically you're messing with good pistons and replacing them with some that will lower the compression ratio (google it)to like 7.4 or some low **** I forget.DONT DO IT PLZ
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It won't hurt your reliability, but your "power" will be beyond comically low. Stock is what, 106bhp? You'll be lucky to break 80.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

geez that bad huh... but as soon as i put some boost on it, it will be alright tho... because i plan on rebuilding my whole motor while making it strong enough to keep the boost about 14psi.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Google google google you're gonna need it
I loved my z6 def a peppy single cam.
Also the best sc to boost imo
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

"14PSI" means nothing. You have a lot of research to do. Start with the FAQ's. There's a huge section dedicated to "I want to make it go faster".

And yes, the Z6 and A6 are the two best D's for any kind of power adders.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill look that up. But I have seen some serious builds. I've seen a guy down here that got his D16Z6 motor to 700hp. I wish I knew all the specs of his build... But then again Im not shooting to go that high anyways... If I make 250-350 I'll be happy. But this is my plan for my build so far...

Vitara Pistons
ACL Bearings
ARP Studs/Bolts
Supertech Valve Train
Skunk2 Cam Stage 2/ Gear
Stage 2 or higher Clutch
Min. of 550 Fuel Injectors
250 LPH Walboro Fuel Pump
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FrodeyEJ1
I wouldn't run these stock.

Basically you're messing with good pistons and replacing them with some that will lower the compression ratio (google it)to like 7.4 or some low **** I forget.DONT DO IT PLZ
Yeah I used the compression chart off of google... looks a lil scary with the Vitara Pistons... I'm gonna have to look around to see what pistons i should use for the build or just use the stock Z6 pistons.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

First off, for 350BHP at stock fuel pressure, you're going to need 800CC/m injectors. If you want to actually see 350 to the wheels, you're going to need 900CC/m injectors. Bump the rail pressure to 50PSI, you can get away with 700CC/m injectors, but then you'll have to look at the spec sheet to see what the injectors are actually capable of flowing at 50PSI. Here is the math for you. They even have a calculator at the bottom, if you aren't a math kind of guy.

Second off, I've said my peace about Junk2 many times, but I'll say it again. They aren't a company worth supporting. Buddy Club, Brian Crower, and Crower Cams all make better options for you, within the same price range.

Third off, "stage 2" means nothing for a clutch. You need to figure out what kind of torque numbers you'll be putting down, then buy a clutch to handle that torque. For what you're looking at, I'd recommend the Competition Clutch "Stage 4" street/strip clutch. 6 puck, hub sprung, comfortable to DD, and easily capable of handling what you want. It's what I have, as well.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
First off, for 350BHP at stock fuel pressure, you're going to need 800CC/m injectors. If you want to actually see 350 to the wheels, you're going to need 900CC/m injectors. Bump the rail pressure to 50PSI, you can get away with 700CC/m injectors, but then you'll have to look at the spec sheet to see what the injectors are actually capable of flowing at 50PSI. Here is the math for you. They even have a calculator at the bottom, if you aren't a math kind of guy.

Second off, I've said my peace about Junk2 many times, but I'll say it again. They aren't a company worth supporting. Buddy Club, Brian Crower, and Crower Cams all make better options for you, within the same price range.

Third off, "stage 2" means nothing for a clutch. You need to figure out what kind of torque numbers you'll be putting down, then buy a clutch to handle that torque. For what you're looking at, I'd recommend the Competition Clutch "Stage 4" street/strip clutch. 6 puck, hub sprung, comfortable to DD, and easily capable of handling what you want. It's what I have, as well.
This is my first build, so I want to build this right. I've seen a lot of people building their builds with skunk2 so I figured it would be the best bet. But I'm all about learning more on which product would be better for my D16Z6. I'm open to all opinions. Thanks for the info on the injectors, very useful information.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Skunk2 has a long-standing history of treating the tuning community like ****. A lot of people don't realize this, or are too busy hopping on the band wagon to care.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well damn... That's crazy... Never heard anything like that. I'm looking into the other brands now.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what about the pistons? Keep them stock or go P29's? The compression with the P29's are 11.10:1. You would think that would be good when it comes down to turboing the motor right?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The "common" train of thought is lower compression, more boost. That's mainly because it's easier to tune, though. Raised compression with turbo is just as reliable, and can be better, as long as it's tuned correctly. There's just a much smaller margin for error when tuning on raised compression.

TL;DR - both ways work. It's all personal preference.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay. so stock pistons should be straight then? I want to build a strong motor that will make 250-350hp. I know I'll have to boost it to make it to my goal but I want to make sure my internals are strong enough to take the boost.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Eh...a stock rotating assembly is going to have a hard time getting you to 250, let alone any higher than that. Stock D series rods are tooth picks, and will bend or break if you put that much strain on them. That's rod/piston territory. CP/Carillo makes a great combination. www.realstreetperformance.com also has a very well organized storefront, with any pertinent information you'll need as far as piston and rod capability. I'm personally looking at JE/Eagle, but I'm also building for higher power - you shouldn't need to spend quite that much.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay. thanks for the help now I heard about Eagle rods that you have to get them remeasured or something on the lines like that. Because I wanna just be able to get them, attach pistons and throw them into the block.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Check out the SRP/Eagle combo on the site I linked. That would be a good combo for your power goals. Before you go ordering any parts, find a tuner close enough to easily get your car to, and ask him/her what s/he thinks. If the only tuner within 100 miles won't tune high compression + boost, you're SOL. Anyone who makes money tuning cars should be able to do stock compression + boost, but it never hurts to be 100% sure.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok im gonna look into those. I have a few tuner shops near me so now all I have to do is know the right one to go too.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tollickj
ok im gonna look into those. I have a few tuner shops near me so now all I have to do is know the right one to go too.
IMO the rotating assembly should be focused more on reliability in these motors. You can EASILY make 300 on these setups.

Just focus on making it last.